Sep 30, 2016
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

I have decided to sell up, and buy a motor home in which I intend to live; I have a budget of up to £70,000 and I am looking to buy an A Class vehicle with a fixed bedroom - could anyone recommend the best vehicle brand available for that price range? Additionally, having spent months looking at various varieties, the vast majority of these vehicles are built on a Ducato chassis, how good are these engines and electrics?

I would be happy in a very low mileage used vehicle too.

As a professional driver of large vehicles, I need something to drive and live in between contracts, and as such can anyone tell me the legalities of "free camping" so to speak? Would the local constabulary be "moving me on"?

I look forward to your responses, and thank you in advance...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to the forum.

I am a fulltimer for the last 7 years+. If I had your budget I would be looking at a Eura Mobil.

They are cracking good vans, have excellent build quality and have a huge payload.

I had a HS 770 before downsizing and loved it. Circumstances forced the sale but I would have another one in a heartbeat.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Andy and a big :welcome3:you will find lots of useful info here and I wish you luck in finding your ideal van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andy

Ducato chassis is Front Wheel Drive, if you don't fancy that I can thoroughly recommend the IVECO chassis with 3 litre engine and RWD.

Of course we are all going to recommend our current or favourite vans as the ideal one for you, but really you have to make up your own mind, make a list of priorities as a starting point.

I was German, good heavy commercial chassis, Rear Wheel Drive, Left hand drive, big garage for bikes etc. Your list will be different no doubt but don't be frightened of a used vehicle as your budget should get you something really nice at a few years old.

Martin

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,

I have decided to sell up, and buy a motor home in which I intend to live; I have a budget of up to £70,000 and I am looking to buy an A Class vehicle with a fixed bedroom - could anyone recommend the best vehicle brand available for that price range? Additionally, having spent months looking at various varieties, the vast majority of these vehicles are built on a Ducato chassis, how good are these engines and electrics?

I would be happy in a very low mileage used vehicle too.

As a professional driver of large vehicles, I need something to drive and live in between contracts, and as such can anyone tell me the legalities of "free camping" so to speak? Would the local constabulary be "moving me on"?

I look forward to your responses, and thank you in advance...
I doubt any £70,000 A class motorhomes will be on a Fiat chassis. Engine yes.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
My ideal would be IVECO 3.0 180bhp manual. Very strong driveline and with a 2.3 t front axle and 5 t rear no payload issues . looking on mobile de there are some Cathargos within budget on that chassis, or a Euromobile . On that spec you get 200lt water 3 leisure plus solar. Inverter or genny for off grid.
Don't think Alde heating would be available on the years within budget, unless you don't mid a high mileage example.
Its is of horses for courses, all down to ones personal preference.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There are lots of £70000 MHs on fiat chassis Hymer & Rapido included,might be Fiat/Alko on some.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome. Like grommet, my last van was a Euramobil 810 and I couldn't fault it, really well built & spacious with good payload. For me the front wheel drive was okay but not ideal. Previously I had a Hymer and although very good, the build quality wasn't as robust as the Euramobil. Currently I have a 7.5 tonne Carthago and again the quality is superb and I believe the same applies to their smaller models as well. You're bound to get lots of good advice from others and as funflair says, making a list of priorities is key and then enjoy the the search.

OP
OP
A

Andy G1976

Free Member
Sep 30, 2016
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow, thanks everyone... some great advice...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My ideal would be IVECO 3.0 180bhp manual. Very strong driveline and with a 2.3 t front axle and 5 t rear no payload issues . looking on mobile de there are some Cathargos within budget on that chassis, or a Euromobile . On that spec you get 200lt water 3 leisure plus solar. Inverter or genny for off grid.
Don't think Alde heating would be available on the years within budget, unless you don't mid a high mileage example.
Its is of horses for courses, all down to ones personal preference.
Alde heating has been around for lots of years now and will be well within a £70k budget.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lots of good makes to recommend. Hymer, Cathargo, Rapido, Frankia, Burstner to name but a few. You could buy a good 2 year old second hand one and get a lot more for your money than a new one. All will come from mainland Europe because you will not find a UK manufacturer of A classes within your price range.

As for free overnight stops, they are more difficult in the UK. Plenty over the water in Europe though.

OP
OP
A

Andy G1976

Free Member
Sep 30, 2016
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone. My second question is:
Power; on average, when the vehicle is parked up and you are using your "leisure battery" how long can I expect them to last before recharge becomes necessary? I assume you can recharge them from the van engine rather than be forced to locate a mains hook up? My only experience of motor homes was my dads "Highwayman" Talbot back in the mid eighties. The leisure battery was a simple car battery (I think) providing a 12 volt on board system. Would I be right in thinking that modern vehicles run a lithium ion power source?

Also, am really liking the "Burstner" range of vehicles which seem big enough without being to big to take to Tesco! Has anyone any experience of these vehicles in terms of build quality and reliability?

Thanks in advance.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You might want to be aware that you only get x5 'free' posts then there's a £15 annual fee here - well worth it I'm sure :)

I am not sure that the batteries have changed that much ... but certainly a 2nd battery and a large solar panel would be my first purchase in your position. Maybe a generator too ;)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Andy and welcome to the Fun from another full timer (5+ years). :welcome3:
If you are planning on full timing in the UK, then go for a German or French van. They are fully winterised, UK-built vans are not. Also think about payload. If you are full timing you will want a lot of stuff with you.

My first van was a 2005 Burstner Elegance 821. Good van with a high bed over a garage at the rear. Starting out as a full timer I had thought a garage was a necessity for storage. Soon found out that it wasn't (for me anyway) and I now prefer a van with more easy access interior storage. Current van is a Hobby Toskana 750 FLC which has (IMO) a very good layout for full timing, including an enormous shelved full-height cupboard as well as plenty of other storage space. It's not an A-class tho', but unless you particularly want a drop-down bed I don't see that as an issue myself.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
There is a Cathargp on Autotrader Big A Class on IVECO. Looks really good 68k From memory. Loads of extras good payload rear bedroom think it was an M Liner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back