May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
Hi All,

We went to Salop Leisure in Shrewsbury today to get a quote on the fitting of a Fiamma bike rack to our Hymer B564. The bike rack itself was a fair price (£215 or thereabouts) but they wanted about £200 to fit it :Eeek: Is this a reasonable fitting cost as it seems a bit high to me considering some of the fixings are already there.

Does anyone know if this is the norm for fitting such a thing and if there is anywhere else I can try for a more reasonable price...........or, could I do it myself?

Steve

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Does not sound over expensive to me as long as it is fitted correctly, have seen too many botched carriers moving around on the back of some vans. Could do a lot of harm if it comes off, to both van and people behind.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
Yeah Steve, £200 sounds reasonable.......but then I am a plumber:ROFLMAO:

:roflmto: It must have been the initial shock then. I started looking at folding bikes but they can come in quite expensive too :Doh:

Does not sound over expensive to me as long as it is fitted correctly, have seen too many botched carriers moving around on the back of some vans. Could do a lot of harm if it comes off, to both van and people behind.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Wouldn't want that to happen.........imagine the insurance claim :whatthe:

Ok, if that sounds a reasonable amount then I guess that's what we are going to have to pay. Not even sure if we will use the bikes that much when we are gone but better to have than to not I suppose :thumb:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Steve

I fitted an Omnistor wind-up bike rack on my B564 but the mounting principal must be very similar to the Fiamma. The top mounting brackets were already factory fitted (check if your have them) and all I had to do was position, drill and seal the bottom tube support bracket holes ready for the bracket.

But, my layout has a rear cupboard at the bottom bracket level so it was easy to line up the hole positions using the rear window as the measuring reference point and checking for any obstructions. Some B564 layouts have a bathroom at the rear so that does present an added problem as you may have to remove a panel.

Once the drill holes have been marked and a pilot drill made, drilling is very straightforward using a spirit level to keep the hole level. One drilled, a good blob of sealant or Sikaflex into the hole, bolt up and job done. Took me an hour.

Not sure what Salops hourly rate is but assuming it is around the £60 plus VAT it seems a tad expensive. If you don't want to do it yourself and you need someone who is highly recommended and Shropshire based, Dave Newell in Telford is a top class operator.

Dave Newell - Motorhome, Habitation, Servicing, Cruise Control, Camos Domes, Satelite Tv, Reversing Cameras

Pat

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Steve, try this. Get a tow bar fitted and get a thule bike rack.

about the same money but with the added value of using a tow bar for other things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back