LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
im thinking of stopping Sky multi room (we take that box in the van) and changing to a Humax pvr. My question is - does the humax allow you to play recorded content when it has no satellite signal, after its rebooted? Also, has anyone any experience of using this in Spain with an Oyster 85cm dish? At the moment we get plenty of Sky channels all over Spain, but just not BBC etc. Is this the same with the Humax? Hope someone can help, as it's getting very expensive to keep multi room just for the van. Thanks for reading!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
An 85cm dish will NOT get all channels all over Spain.
It may get most of the Sky pay channels, but areas like Barcelona and CdS require a very (very) large dosh for BBC ITV C4 and Five channels.
Matters not if you use a Sky digibox, Freesat box or other satellite receiver... they all use the same channels, frequencies satellites for their channels.

Just plugged in a HDR1100S with no satellite input and recordings played fine

OP
OP
Stonemags76

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Thanks! If no Sky pay channels, what about freesat?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Like I said before Sky digiboxes, Freesat boxs or other satellite receivers all use the same channels, frequencies satellites for their channels.
If your dish is too small to receive channels in an area on a Sky box, then it will be the same on a Freesat or any other receiver.

So in some areas your dish (and whatever receiver you use) may just about get BBC ITV C4 and Fives, but most areas, that dish is simply too small. Makes no difference what box you use.
There are no separate "Sky" and "Freesat" satellites.
Channesl used by Sky and Freesat boxes all use the same channels across the same three satellites and their beams and frequencies.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have freesat and a humax box which plays recorded content fine but we can only get channels as far as Carcassonne in France.
We have a 64 cm dish. I have heard of the icecrypt box being able to get signal but not having one I'm not sure.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I have heard of the icecrypt box being able to get signal but not having one I'm not sure.
No matter what receiver you have, UK channels from the Astra 2 satellite will be the same and depend on your size of dish where you area.
If you cannot get channels on a Sky or Freesat box because your dish is too small for that location, then using any other receiver, including an icecrypt, will have the same results.

An icecrypt receiver is one of a number of receivers used for hacking (so read illegally accessing!) into encrypted freeview back up on intelsat 907.....for how ever long that lasts, whose signal is more generous across Europe than the "official" UK TV Astra 2 satellites

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just plugged in a HDR1100S with no satellite input and recordings played fine
Am I right in thinking that has the HDR 1100s now got Netflix built in any programs recorded from there will play if I take it in the van either with or without a satalite signal
Thks for any info

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We are in Torrevieja and have a 1.4m dish on the roof of the casa running a Humax PVR and bbc is only just available and drops out at certain parts of the day, even C4 too.... c4+1 is fine for reasons I don't know. I think with the new satellite with it's reduced footprint its touch and go if you'll get anything with an 85cm in southern Spain.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
We are in Torrevieja and have a 1.4m dish on the roof of the casa running a Humax PVR and bbc is only just available and drops out at certain parts of the day, even C4 too.... c4+1 is fine for reasons I don't know.
C4 is a horizontal polarisation
C4+1 is a vertical polarisation
So reception of these two channels may be slightly difference.
On a well tuned "1.4m" (probably actually a 125x135cm! ) dish, with good LNB and correct skew, you should have no issues.
But then, some "1.4m" dishes perform differently to other "1.4m" dishes, so it depends which you have.
Likewise which LNB you are using.

Just south of valencia, my 80x85cm dish gets all channels apart from ITVHDs (but it does getthe UTV HD and STV HD versions).

I think with the new satellite with it's reduced footprint its touch and go if you'll get anything with an 85cm in southern Spain.
"the new satellite" - there are three UK TV satellites, 2e, 2f and 2g, currently in use
Although the UK beam channels (BBC ITV Ce fives) may be harder to get "down south", those on the European beam (like most of the sky pay channels, Sky News etc) should still be available like they used to be on the previous satellites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back