Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Firstly thank you to everyone for the help and advice on choosing our new first van. We brought an Adria sun living flexo sp today. Picking it up in 4 weeks. Any advice on self fit...
Alarm system
Reversing camera
Satellite free view so we can catch up on UK TV abroad.
Price point is key as the bank balance is a bit flat!

Thank you
Sharon and mark

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Did you buy from a dealer? Could you not have getting any of these fitted free?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi Mr frog. We got a sun canopy. And good price as it's 2016 model. Biting my nails!

Regards sharom

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Advice?
Use it before making any decisions about extras or accessories.
For example getting a satellite system is very expensive to keep up-to-date with Corrie... and not straightforward.
But you might find you don't miss TV when there are so many distractions whilst abroad & even if you do, so many alternatives to a heavy expensive sat dish on your roof.

EG Awnings - seem like a good idea, but how many are in the garage at home?

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
For example getting a satellite system is very expensive to keep up-to-date with Corrie... and not straightforward.

And a few quid will buy an awful lot of data to watch a few bits on catch up via t'internet...

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You won't get free view in Europe and it's a little more complicated the further south you travel.
I would go for something simple to start with and see how that goes a good satelite system is going to cost £2 to £3k and even then probably won't get all the channels you would like.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Wow that is a lot of money! We don't watch much TV at home. Like films alot in winter only. Maybe just get the van and not worry about TV? All the add_ons seem very expensive. So much to buy.. we have our leveling blocks! And we brought a truck sat nav!
Regards Sharon

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welcomesign:to the forum. I would suggest that you buy nothing except the basic necessities for your new van and then after a few trips away decide what you REALLY need.
A solar panel would be of more use than a satellite system I would suggest, and a damn sight cheaper (y)
Enjoy the journeys, have fun.
Norman.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We take a tv fior rainy days, but only watch programmes from a little hard drive.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Firstly thank you to everyone for the help and advice on choosing our new first van. We brought an Adria sun living flexo sp today. Picking it up in 4 weeks. Any advice on self fit...
Alarm system
Reversing camera
Satellite free view so we can catch up on UK TV abroad.
Price point is key as the bank balance is a bit flat!

Thank you
Sharon and mark

Have you got a dome/saterlite?

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Satellite - an inexpensive free to air receiver will cost under £50. Buy a domestic dish for around £15 and fit it on a pole.
Reversing camera - total £50 for excellent quality.

Both assuming you are able and willing to self-install.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with the other Funsters, don't be in a rush to spec out the van. You could just use a TV with a usb stick pre loaded with films.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Wow that is a lot of money! We don't watch much TV at home. Like films alot in winter only. Maybe just get the van and not worry about TV? All the add_ons seem very expensive. So much to buy.. we have our leveling blocks! And we brought a truck sat nav!
Regards Sharon
TV with an inbuilt DVD might work better for you

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we deliberateiy dont have a tv it would be to much like being at home we can get films on internet or cds and watch on laptop if we get realy bad weather we both read more and play cards etc that we seldom do at home

Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Some don't bother with any of the things you mention I have them all!!

Alarm - I got a Strikeback system from Vanbitz after many many recommendations on here, they ain't cheap but neither was your motorhome! I also bought some Milenco window alarms. The main issue for us is we wild camp quite often so we wanted all doors/windows covered in case someone tried to get in while we are sleeping (while unattended we don't leave much of value in the van)

Reversing camera - handy but not as much use as your other half guiding you back!! I have a twin camera one which acts as a rear view mirror when driving and then shows the rear bumper of the van when reversing. Many vans now are pre-wired for one so with reasonable diy skills you could fit yourself if yours is

Satellite Freeview - you will only really get this within a couple of hundred miles of the U.K. give or take depending on conditions unless you have a large dish. Automatic systems are expensive (£1-£3k), however we have a manual crank up system which once you get used to it is very quick to set up and cost us £500 fitted. Again you can save yourself £150 fitting costs if you are a competent diy'er and are OK drilling holes in your new vehicle's roof!!

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We deliberately don't have a tv either,we download films etc and then only watch if the weather is bad.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I will plus one what @Big Nick said.

For the alarm, get it done professionally this is something that is going to save your investment from being nicked (hopefully). You get a discount a VanBitz, so a good place to start! :D

We have a reversing camera, but you can miss stuff! I very nearly reversed into my sisters car the other day! Very useful gadget, 2 way radios, dispatch wife to watch you in, and she can speak to you and say STOP! At least that's what my wife does! :D

For satellite TV, we have a Snipe 2, I fitted it myself, not too tricky, but on our recent tour of Europe, you lose the UK satellite reception as you get further south. By the time we got to Italy, the only usable signal was Pick or QVC! so we just pointed at other satellites! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi guys thank you all for advice

Great tip below from Daniel ford!! We have some 2 way radios, never thought can use them when reversing. Brilliant idea.

We have a reversing camera, but you can miss stuff! I very nearly reversed into my sisters car the other day! Very useful gadget, 2 way radios, dispatch wife to watch you in, and she can speak to you and say STOP! At least that's what my wife does! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Thank you Norman. What size solar panel do you recommend? We have a portable one 4wats. Do you suggest we get a larger one on the roof?

Regards sharon

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
under 100watts is a novelty toy. a rule of thumb is one 100 watt panel for each battery

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back