Humax vs Panasonic freeview recorder (1 Viewer)

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Just thrown Virgin out, and want to install a good reliable freeview recorder.

The recorder if possible needs to able be transfered to the van, so that can take recorded stuff with us when abroad.

If possible to be able to download and save films, box sets etc, via Amazon firestick fully loaded.

Recent Humax reviews appear to be quite critical, whilst the Panasonic reviews are good, I have come across a comment that it won't play Abroad!!

Any thoughts appreciated

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't understand why the Panny wouldn't "play" abroad :confused:.

Provided the electrickery into it is the same as the UK, and the output is into the same TV as used in the UK, it should play fine...
...unless for some bizarre copyright reason it 'needs' the Freeview signal to work.

At home I have a Humax Freesat box recording onto a USB HDD - works fine.
Not that it has much relevance to your question.

Edited:
I just noticed the "Firestick"
If that is anything like Google's Chromecast, it needs a WiFi signal to work.
If it's like a USB storage device - you won't be able to [generally] transfer recordings from any Freeview box onto another device. The recordings are encoded to only replay on the machine they were recorded on. To allow for time-shift but not copying.

Off to see what a Firestick is, and do I need one :whistle:.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had a Humax for years, never had any problems with it. Can recommend it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any thoughts appreciated

These are bad times for PVR. Just bought a Panasonic, works OK but when I tried to transfer to a HD for the MH it would not let me, digital rights prohibits this now. Seems to be the same for all major manufacturers. And you only have to read FUN and the many people who openly admit to pirating videos to see why this has come about.

I know you want to take the box with you but it is far easier to take a USB hard drive which will play on most TVs.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
These are bad times for PVR. Just bought a Panasonic, works OK but when I tried to transfer to a HD for the MH it would not let me, digital rights prohibits this now. Seems to be the same for all major manufacturers. And you only have to read FUN and the many people who openly admit to pirating videos to see why this has come about.

I know you want to take the box with you but it is far easier to take a USB hard drive which will play on most TVs.
We tried both and found that we could transfer recordings to usb and play them on our tv from the Humax box but recordings put on a usb from the Panasonic would only play on the Panasonic box itself which was confirmed by the manufacturers.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We tried both and found that we could transfer recordings to usb and play them on our tv from the Humax box but recordings put on a usb from the Panasonic would only play on the Panasonic box itself which was confirmed by the manufacturers.

I would not mind betting a whole pound that the latest Humax will not play ball, which is cause for concern if your Humax has automatic update facilities.

This 'ere Panasonic reformatted the USB hard drive I plugged in and when I realised it was not working as wanted I had a hell of a job getting windows to reformat it back to normal. An email to Panasonic "do you know that your PVR writes off USB hard drives without telling the owner, how do I recover my hard drive", this got no response.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I would not mind betting a whole pound that the latest Humax will not play ball, which is cause for concern if your Humax has automatic update facilities.

This 'ere Panasonic reformatted the USB hard drive I plugged in and when I realised it was not working as wanted I had a hell of a job getting windows to reformat it back to normal. An email to Panasonic "do you know that your PVR writes off USB hard drives without telling the owner, how do I recover my hard drive", this got no response.
You are correct in the way it re formats the usb stick. I had not thought of what could happen with box updates, thanks for the warning.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
...unless for some bizarre copyright reason it 'needs' the Freeview signal to work.
I know of some PVRs require a signal to open up the EPG and recording....
Sky digiboxes are the same... no signal, no access to the EPG or recordings

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I know of some PVRs require a signal to open up the EPG and recording....
Sky digiboxes are the same... no signal, no access to the EPG or recordings
Is there any way to copy downloaded programs of a sky HD box, just changed back to Virgin, the wife only got 30 days to watch what's on there now
Thks for any help
Sorry to hijack your post @Dogeared

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Talk about coincidence :unsure:
@Dogeared
Humax Direct have this morning sent me an email with a list of their "offers"...
Factory Refurbished HDR-1800T 320GB £79
Link Removed
1 year warranty

Got to be a bargain

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
@Dogeared
Humax Direct have this morning sent me an email with a list of their "offers"...
Link Removed
1 year warranty

Got to be a bargain

I just took one of those back to argos after 16 days use, I recorded stuff which I wanted to watch later went to town and switched everything of as I usually do, came back and the media button would not work so I lost everything, it also would not record anything.
The red button stopped working after 1 week.
It said programme didn't record because of a signal issue when it was 86% signal.
A lot of pixelating when recording the second programme, maybe due to signal strength the manual said but again it was 86%.
Sometimes programmes only recorded for a fraction of the proper time so missed the end a lot.

No experience of the panasonic sorry but I did ask a currys assistant if the Panasonic had a shedule on it as I want one and he said no so that's out of the window

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
@Dogeared
Link Removed
1 year warranty

Got to be a bargain
Is it a coincidence as I got an email from Humax today after mentioning them on here yesterday!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Is there any way to copy downloaded programs of a sky HD box, just changed back to Virgin, the wife only got 30 days to watch what's on there now
Thks for any help
Sorry to hijack your post @Dogeared

Attach an external record to the Sky digibox, press record, and then play the recorded programme you want to do.
You cannot take the programme from the sky box to play else where "digitally" due to the encoding and encrpytion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back