Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
First of all, I appreciate the vast majority of you absolutely love your pets, and take them everywhere you go. However, Mrs Flook has the very same view of not loving animals, especially Dogs, and dogs on campsites frighten the daylights out of her, it has been this way since I have known her when I met her at the tender age of 17.

So I do not what to cause or create any controversy here, all I want to know is this: do any of you FUNSTERS know of any good dog free sites. We have just just come from Brixham where her indoors has thoroughly enjoyed not one, not two but three weeks of being totally relaxed without any worry about dogs.

Flook

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
First of all, I appreciate the vast majority of you absolutely love your pets, and take them everywhere you go. However, Mrs Flook has the very same view of not loving animals, especially Dogs, and dogs on campsites frighten the daylights out of her, it has been this way since I have known her when I met her at the tender age of 17.

So I do not what to cause or create any controversy here, all I want to know is this: do any of you FUNSTERS know of any good dog free sites. We have just just come from Brixham where her indoors has thoroughly enjoyed not one, not two but three weeks of being totally relaxed without any worry about dogs.

Flook
:swear::swear::swear::swear::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Sorry can't help. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

Flook
Can you perhaps narrow down your ideas for location?

Although I'm a dog lover, & just about to adopt a grey... I'm beginning to notice sites that say no dogs :rolleyes:.
For example - I've just signed up for a Wildax and they recommend this site for the first night - which so happens to be - no pets...
http://www.ellandhallfarm.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have two dogs and even I don't blame her, just walked back home from the local shops and nearly trod in the biggest dog turd ever right in the middle of the footpath b:mad:stards shouldn't be allowed to own as dog:mad::mad:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have two dogs and even I don't blame her, just walked back home from the local shops and nearly trod in the biggest dog turd ever right in the middle of the footpath b:mad:stards shouldn't be allowed to own as dog:mad::mad:
I saw someone walking their dog in town a while back. The dog fouled the pavement, and off they went! I caught up with her handed her a poo bag, and said "I think you forgot something" Whilst standing in front of her so she couldn't proceed! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry can't say I know of any now - as we have dogs I used to take note when booking sites in the past to ensure we were allowed but now we don't use sited at all I'm afraid but there are definitely still quite a few sites that either don't allow them or make the cost prohibitive if you do have one!

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Ashurst in the New Foest is dog free, due to ground nesting birds, I understand.
Quite a few in Devon don't allow dogs in high season.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I love dogs,but choose not to have one.Couldnt get my head round
having to take it for a walk when it rains and bringing it back in my
nice clean Motorhome!:eek::eek::eek:
That's why god invented Vax Carpet cleaners! :D
I have just spent the night doing the monthly clean of carpets and upholstery, it takes ages, but by god it looks good when it's done.
As for going for a walk in the pouring rain, that is a downside, but I would say the majority of my walks are in non rainy conditions, with hound running around like a looney with her buddies at the local dog walking area.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Contrary to belief, dogs do NOT like going walkies in the rain ... ours don't anyway! They'd just rather go out, do their stuff and run back in again! Of course you can get them waterproof coats and a 'doggy bag' for drying them off afterwards!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Contrary to belief, dogs do NOT like going walkies in the rain ... ours don't anyway! They'd just rather go out, do their stuff and run back in again! Of course you can get them waterproof coats and a 'doggy bag' for drying them off afterwards!
But they DO like going out when it is not raining, but it has just stopped raining. Particularly rolling in all that mud, that look in their eyes that just says "I'm going to do this, and you can't stop me in time!" :D
Maybe it is just the breeds that we like that have this trait! :D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Pics please. I love Greyhounds and have had two rescues in the past. Currently have two gobby rescue Whippets.
Will do - but haven't got her yet.
Waiting until after Malvern because I didn't feel it fair to have her for a few days, then whisk her off in MH etc etc. Kennels said they would have her back but I felt that would be even more unsettling, kennels>new home>back to kennels.

Only pic is from the website:

2016-09-26 Website Pic.jpg

*apologies to @Flook for 180 degree thread drift :wasntme:.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, canna help the OP ( apart from Vilasol in Benidorm ! )

But...
Dillon is far from happy in rain. Unfortunately for him, Woman ( who I suspect is a bit of a purve or something ) loves the bloody stuff and drags the poor mutt out no matter how hard it is raining !

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We turned up at a CL yesterday and had to clear around our pitch where a previous camper must have let his dog mess. YUK. I love dogs but very angry when I see this. Noticed it when I walked in van and smelled it from my shoes!!!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
The Shore caravan site at Achmelvich (near Lochinver in Sutherland). One of my favourite places, that's Achmelvich Bay in my avatar, the site doesn't allow dogs as it does have sheep roaming about.
How is Mrs Flook with sheep?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Will do - but haven't got her yet.
Waiting until after Malvern because I didn't feel it fair to have her for a few days, then whisk her off in MH etc etc. Kennels said they would have her back but I felt that would be even more unsettling, kennels>new home>back to kennels.

Only pic is from the website:

View attachment 126129

*apologies to @Flook for 180 degree thread drift :wasntme:.
Wise decision - I could never kennel a rescue. She's gorgeous. You may have noticed my last Grey as my avatar. Lost to cancer at 8yo. (my apologies too for continuing the thread drift ;))

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Off thread again but why is there always at least one dog owner who believes the 'all dogs must be kept on a lead on site' rule doesn't apply to their dog??

Our rescue is terrified of dogs who come bounding towards him and we've had a couple of incidents which have left him quaking in the motorhome for hours. But apparently it's OK because the other dog 'only wants to play' :mad:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are two New Forest sites that do not allow dogs, Ashurst which has toilets and showers but no electric and Denny Wood which just has waste and water facilities. Ironically dogs can still be walked along the public footpath through Ashurst but you should be able to find a pitch far enough way that it would not be an issue.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Beverly park in Paignton Devon does not allow dogs and is open all year round, it is a site with all the bells and whistles so although no dogs allowed you could find loads of noisy kids there, I would sooner have the dogs.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thank you for your replies folks. I dont mind if anyone goes off topic. It makes things more interesting.

As far as her indoors is concerned, it makes no difference at all what type or sort of animals, dogs, cats, budgie's (yes even them) she does not like anything fluttering about her!!! sheep, cows, did I mention dogs...:). Apart from all that she is a game bird (pun totally intended), she wont go on the back of my bike, nor go to bike club with me (silly girl:confused:). Still one cant help who one falls for, I ask her from time to time, "why did you marry me", her reply was and still is, "you were the only one to ask me, and I felt sorry for you":LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. Go off topic if you want, just makes things, well, things, if you know what I mean:rolleyes::rolleyes::wasntme:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Flook

can't help with dog free sites as we are not dog free.

However, well done. You have managed to ask your question and explain your position without raising hackles. (On the MHF members as well as our furry friends).(y)

Makes a difference from the vehemently "anti-dog brigade" in the Caravan Club Magazines. (Both of them).:)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Beverly park in Paignton Devon does not allow dogs and is open all year round, it is a site with all the bells and whistles so although no dogs allowed you could find loads of noisy kids there, I would sooner have the dogs.

Really??

Kids don't shit all over the place.
Kid's "owners" don't leave kid shit all over the place.
Kids don't jump up on and slobber on folks who don't want to " be their friend".

Dogs / kids....can't see the comparison?

There is a place for kid free adults only sites, not everyone wants kids and noise around.
Likewise there is a place for dog free sites, not everyone wants yapping dogs and shit around.

Each to his own.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of my daughter in law's is terrified of dogs as well. She won't get out of the car if she sees a dog. Her parents just got a puppy and she hasn't been to see them since, even though they put the dog in his crate when they have visitors.

OP
OP
Flook

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
If the dog/cat/bird etc has been put away and cannot escape then her indoors is apprehensive, but accepts and appreciates the effort gone to. However, many years back I had a new coat torn to shreds and the owner thought it was funny, then a dog took a shine to my leg and would not let go, I was training a young lad at the time but he was not with me at that visit, I explained what happened, he said, "dont let that thing near me as it may like my leg as well". So when we returned, yes you've guessed it, the dog took a shine to his leg. Another time I saw a jack russell in a front garden and asked the customer if they would take it indoors as they have attacked me in the past, "oh it wont hurt you at all" was the reply, so I relaxed went in and you can guess what happened. Yep, I was not happy. I do have many more doggy stories, but I appreciate we are a nation of dog lovers, and animal lovers by and large. I just thought I would share those few with you, in the main, dogs are kept on leads, are gently moved out of the way when met on the pavements.

I suppose I should have broken down the above into bite size pieces (pun intended):D.

Flook:cool:

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Really??

Kids don't shit all over the place.
Kid's "owners" don't leave kid shit all over the place.
Kids don't jump up on and slobber on folks who don't want to " be their friend".

Dogs / kids....can't see the comparison?

There is a place for kid free adults only sites, not everyone wants kids and noise around.
Likewise there is a place for dog free sites, not everyone wants yapping dogs and shit around.

Each to his own.
I quite agree with you that each type of site has its place and how annoying it is when a irresponsible dog owner fails to pick up after his pet or who fails to keep their dog under control, I was merely pointing out that I personally prefer dogs, with regard to your comments about what kids do not do it is only fair to say what dogs do not do.
They do not ride bicycles around the site and toilet blocks as fast as they can screaming and shouting all the way.
When they arrive on site they do not get a football out and start kicking it around other vans and invariably hitting other vans and then the parents say "it's only kids having fun"
They don't go into the toilet block and stuff anything down the toilets, the site I am on at the moment are still repairing damage caused by children in August and had to warn some parents that they would be evicted from the site if they did not control their children
But as you say each to their own

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back