Caravan club rant (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Here goes....
Cant book anything onine cos of people who have obviously booked way in advance and then cancel on last minute, therefore late avilability iscthe only booking option worth looking at.
Sites never answer the phone even outside of the assumed cleaning / work time of 11-13.00 hrs
Jobs worths, I meen wardens dont let you on untill 12 o clock even if your pitch is available ... on pain of death.
You have to do the wardens job of mopping the shower block floor.

So the question I am asking myself is why do I remain a member ???
Only reason I can think of is for the insurance discount from safe guard and the occasional use of a CL which apparently you can get on even if your not a member (at least thats the case with CCC you just have to have given them the joining info)

Rant over....

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
hi Ips.

Your comment about discount for insurance.... may I please be rude and ask what your annual permium is at present? I checked about 12 different companies including looking at 'safe guard' and found that they were among the more costly even with discount.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Rules is Rules:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
hi Ips.

Your comment about discount for insurance.... may I please be rude and ask what your annual permium is at present? I checked about 12 different companies including looking at 'safe guard' and found that they were among the more costly even with discount.

It was about £550 with No no=claims discount as that is on my other vehicle. Cant remember without looking if they gave me 20% as an introductory offer. Will have to check.
Ian

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
If you feel so strongly do not renew your membership, I do have to agree though that something must be done with bookings, some sites are booked every Friday and Saturday for as long as the booking is available. The CC must know who the members are that book and then cancel or don't cancel (you do no have to).

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
If you feel so strongly do not renew your membershipQUOTE]

Well thats the point I am getting at, if it is acctually worth membership considering the points mentioned.
Regards - ips

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant book anything onine cos of people who have obviously booked way in advance and then cancel on last minute

i think you will find you are only half right....

yes, the numpties do 'block' book well in advance. usually on the first date for that seasons bookings, but as for cancelling......no they dont.

that is the problem with the CC booking system.....no booking deposit taken so a no-show isnt penalised.

book as many different sites/dates as you want then just dont turn up...

that is one of the many reasons i wont be joining again next year.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Contact James Stewart (Only suggesting him as he was very very helpful and interested in making sure I got a good deal) at 'Insurance Factory' 0800 112 4887.

We are first time MH owners (got it last week) and my premium is just under £200 (underwritten by AXA ) with NO breakdown cover. If I had included breakdown that would have been about £85 more.

Hope that helps

Adge

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Many thanks I will ring em when it is ready for renewal..
Ian

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Cant book anything onine cos of people who have obviously booked way in advance and then cancel on last minute

i think you will find you are only half right....

yes, the numpties do 'block' book well in advance. usually on the first date for that seasons bookings, but as for cancelling......no they dont.

that is the problem with the CC booking system.....no booking deposit taken so a no-show isnt penalised.

book as many different sites/dates as you want then just dont turn up...

that is one of the many reasons i wont be joining again next year.

Glad its not just me then ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks I will ring em when it is ready for renewal..
Ian

if you joined by debit/credit card you MUST ring and tell them you want to cancel.

myself and Jim (ringleader) both got caught on that this year.

we both didnt bother ringing thinking 'if they dont hear from me they wont renew'
oh yes they do....its automatic renewal and cancelling the direct debit with the bank doesnt work either...they still pay the request from the CC.
my card was on the point of expiring and they wrote to ask for the new card details...i didnt respond but they still got the money.
in other words....you can only cancell the direct debit by informing a the payee (CC), not the payer (bank) .

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
This has been the first year as not being a member of any of the CC and C&CC and I can honestly say that we aint missed them one bit, Firstly, ferry prices, mention motorhomefun and get a discount, same with insurance. If your premium is what you say it is you are paying wwwwaaaaayyyy over the top. £232 fully comp for us, both drivers. Initially 4 years ago we had no NCB but were given 3 years introductory.

Story of the CCC, years ago as a tugger I arrived at a site in worcestershire at 7 mins to 12. First time we had ever gone with them. Went to reception to be told I could not book in yet. I said no problem I will wait the now 6 mins then book in. NO SIR REMOVE YOUR CARAVAN OFF OUR SITE UNTILL 12 NOW. woo, shook me somewhat but the warden was insistent. I then had to reverse a caravan back along a tiny lane that the site owned about 500m. By the time I had reversed I then had to go forward because my 6 mins were up. JOBSWORTH OR WHAT. I have never felt like dragging someone across the counter in all my life but today was the day where I truly believed that violence was the answer, even ultra placid Nikki with two crying babies in the car would not of prevented me from doing so. after complaining to the CCC I got back the same answer that Dane has just posted and that was that.
Morale to this was never ever again would I join that club as its known in our house.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
should have insisted on a banksman to watch you reverse Paul, then after reversing said 500mtrs, turn round and go elsewhere.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Caravan Club has a brand new computerised booking system introduced this year. When reserving a pitch you are asked for your membership number. Double booking must be preventable and so must habitual cancellers.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are members of both clubs C&CC & CC and have had bad experiences with both - more on the phone than face to face with a pure arrogant attitude that I would dare to want to pitch my 27ft fifth wheel unit on 'their' site. Having said that I have had some really nice wardens - mainly C&CC say that although their limit is 26ft they have plenty of room so come along. I real terms the reason we keep with them is for the books which list all the CL sites - we always seem to have a good response from these and have met some really nice people - the last 3 sites we have been on have all said been so nice having you here please come again. When did you get that off a club site ??

Dick Kingswell is talking of doing a CL list for larger units in the Big Pitch Guide - as soon as that happens they will both loose out as far as we are concerned.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being probably the only person in history to be blackballed from the C C for complaining to vociferously about spam mail, I have to say I am now quite glad it happened.

We have in no way missed out on anything whatsoever.
We got cheaper insurance this year without their discount, cheaper ferry price cos other codes gave us a better discount, and certainly never felt I was missing out by not having access to one of the C C sites.

And best of all, we spent the £30 on WAY better stuff like booze and grub ::bigsmile:

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
As well as all the problems caused by block booking, can someone please tell me why non-members are allowed on the sites at the detriment of members. Why can't these people pay their subscriptions like everyone else and join the clubs. Why should I, as a member, be refused entry when there are non members taking up the pitches? I would have thought there would be enough members to fill both CC and C&CC sites. I work for the NHS and as such I cannot book very far in advance as I don,t know what I will be working. I have been trying to get on the CC site at York for years and have never made it yet due to it being full for months in advance. I shall be relinquishing my membership of both clubs at the next renewal date.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi IPS,
I think it's time to leave safeguard. I was with them for over 10 years until Swinton took them over then woosh went the premiums.
For the last 4 years I have not found ANYONE to beat Saga at £263 on a £55.000 motorhome. This is full cover both UK and Europe along with my wife as a named driver and protected NCB.
Start looking aroung and, like me, the Caravan Club is history.
Wiljoy:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The CC booking system goes "live" for 2010 on 2nd December @ 09:00. I bet you that by the end of the day all the good sites, ie, Sheepcote Valley. Abbeywood etc, will be fully booked with block bookings leaving nothing available for members who cannot book far in advance.

The site wardens appear to check their records against the CC computer records and then confirm no availability which I knew anyway from the computer screen.

No one is penalised for booking and not turning up. Surely, with modern systems there could be a way of "fining" these members and I also agree with the comments about sites being used by non-members and blocking the system for members.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The CC booking system goes "live" for 2010 on 2nd December @ 09:00. I bet you that by the end of the day all the good sites, ie, Sheepcote Valley. Abbeywood etc, will be fully booked with block bookings leaving nothing available for members who cannot book far in advance.

The site wardens appear to check their records against the CC computer records and then confirm no availability which I knew anyway from the computer screen.

No one is penalised for booking and not turning up. Surely, with modern systems there could be a way of "fining" these members and I also agree with the comments about sites being used by non-members and blocking the system for members.

BOOK A PITCH ON 2ND DEC !!!!!!

you wont even get through on the phone let alone book a pitch:Angry:

with modern systems they could take deposits directly to the site concerned, but they dont want to upset the members by not trusting them to honour the booking........
tough!!!!!! if you dont want to leave a deposit then dont book a site....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We, along with everyone else have suffered from the CC s insane booking system. We are currently members of both clubs but the only benefit is the CL network.
Although some CLs do not check whether you are a member, I beleive that the only reason they can run an 'unlicensed site' is because of an exemption that they receive from the clubs. I'm sure someone here understands the law better, but I don't think they are allowed to admit non-members.:Angry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We have found a way around this problem, it takes 30 mins of your time, but has always proven fruitful.

Don't book! We came across the same problems as everyone not being able to get on site etc, and wondered of the use of membership. Even friends of ours have been members for a year now, and never stayed on a CC site as they were always booked up.

As already mentioned, some book very early and change plans without notifying the site - this is your strength. Spent 30 mins calling the sites and within three calls, you will find one that has space for that night, and usually for a week. Risky, yes, but there are so many CC, CL's around a given area that there is always something.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
We booked york for oct hols and couldnt get the sat so booked the thurs fri sun online and hoped for a cancelation for the sat wardens were very nice but even at 5 o clock on the friday night still had no pitches for sat but by 10 am waarden chapped door and said we had a pitch on the sat night i went awalk around the site and noticed 3 empty pitches when chatting to warden on the sunday he said they were no shows.

Now heres a thought as members of the club and as we get the books sent to us each year are we the members not also the owners if so why dont we change the rules i may be wrong but as a member of my golf club if i go to the agm and put forward an idea and it gets a second its then brought to a vote so we need to go to the agm or if enough of us get together we could call for an egm and put forward our suggestion of takeing deposits this might not be possible but is it not better to fight for something than just give up and not join.

Gerry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gerry, I was told that while the C & C C is owned by its members, the C C is a wholly owned company and as such the members are not in any way owners..
I think it was someone on this very site that told me that

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Gerry, I was told that while the C & C C is owned by its members, the C C is a wholly owned company and as such the members are not in any way owners..
I think it was someone on this very site that told me that

I don't think that's the case. According to the Link Removed "The Caravan Club is run by its members, for its members."

Hi
Now heres a thought as members of the club and as we get the books sent to us each year are we the members not also the owners if so why dont we change the rules i may be wrong but as a member of my golf club if i go to the agm and put forward an idea and it gets a second its then brought to a vote so we need to go to the agm or if enough of us get together we could call for an egm and put forward our suggestion of takeing deposits this might not be possible but is it not better to fight for something than just give up and not join.

The CC bye-law 8a(2) states "Notices of motion duly signed by the proposer and seconder, both of whom must be Full Members, must be received in writing by the Director General not later than 8 weeks before the date of the Annual Members’ Meeting."

As with so many things, unfortunately, the problem which might arise is finding enough people to vote for the motion.

Graham

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think if you read accross the forums caravan/motorhome related, that a lot of people are not happy about the amount of sites that are supposedly full but in reality aren't. This subject has been discussed on more than one occassion, and yes a lot are in agreement about paying a small deposit on booking, they are also in agreement about it not being fair that folk can block book weekends throughout the year foc then not turn up if the weather is not to their liking. Some people like me go away midweek to midweek, but are quite often told on trying to book a club pitch we dont have room on the friday/sat as the site is fully booked then.
Its about time that a club representative joined these forums and read the relevent threads because it is supposedly for members by members but those members that oversee the club really need to keep up and give the system a good shakedown.
Three stikes and your out would be good as in make a booking and not turn up or ring to cancel, after all you have to use your card number to make a booking so that should be easy to see if a particular member is guilty of booking and not turning up on a regular basis and that number could be 'flagged' as a poss no show - hopefully then if they rang or used the internet they could be the one getting the message - sorry we are full then

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Three years ago I wrote to the Caravan Club regarding "No shows " and was told that they were aware of the problem and were going to take further action against members who were abusing the system. I had questioned why they did not take deposits and was told it would cause too much administration.
In these days of computerisation it would be easy to fine the offenders and take their money, the problem is the Clubs like to boast of their growing membership. With the numbers said to have joined this year we should see a reduction in our membership fees due to excellent utilisation of sites, and too much profit made :winky::winky: Think I can see Pink Pigs flying past !! :Eeek:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Like Supertractorman I to have in the past written to the CC on this matter, and received the same stock answer. If they can do so well with this crap system just think of how much more they could make if the pitches not used that were supposedly full had been used instead. I bet most sites have at least 2/3 no shows per night, at weekends if my observations at sites are correct.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you can't beat them.. join them,

bombard them with site reservations until every site is fully booked .. or the system crashes, then they may see the how stupid and open to abuse the booking system is ..

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We, along with everyone else have suffered from the CC s insane booking system. We are currently members of both clubs but the only benefit is the CL network.
Although some CLs do not check whether you are a member, I beleive that the only reason they can run an 'unlicensed site' is because of an exemption that they receive from the clubs. I'm sure someone here understands the law better, but I don't think they are allowed to admit non-members.:Angry:

I am fairly certain you are right but the only way this could be policed is for a club site inspector to call and check when non members are pitched up - many times I have been asked when booking if I am a member but seldom have I been asked to show my card on CL's or CS's - its like the max stay time - I think it is written in the rules that you should not stay on one site for more than 28 days but I have been on many CL/CS sites where there is an odd long stayer tucked in a corner sometimes acting as a temporary warden or site security etc.

Effectively I don't have a problem with either points - it costs a fortune to set up a good CL with electric, dump points and some with hard standings etc. If they can make a bit of money at it then it means they will stay open and be there when I want to use them . We have our little black book of sites where we know we will be welcome - have electric - good access etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back