Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We need a good members map. For years we relied on a google map that @scotjimland worked hard at to maintain. Thanks Jim :clap2: However this was a manual affair; every user that asked had to be keyed in, then if they moved, it would need to be repeated, then whenever ScotJim wasn't here I'd have to do it, I'd forget and a backlog would occur... Anyway I've been revisiting this on an off for ages and spent some time on it recently. It looks we have a workable system.

In your personal details you now have a "Map Location Field" Not to be confused with the "Location Field where people add things like Planet Earth or English in West Wales. The new map location field shows us where you live. You can be as precise as you like with a full postcode, or just add a town or city.

I have populated the map with quite a few Funsters who had something in their original Location Field, but "Planet Earth", "English in Wales" or "Where the van is" are hard to compute so there will be plenty of mistakes.

Only Life Members can see the Maps at the moment, if I don't get too many issues when they've had a play then I'll open it up to everyone. Meanwhile if you are a Life Member please take a look get back to me in this thread with any questions you have. You'll see the Map menu item up top in the blue bar I'll not be able to get back too quickly as I'm away from a computer from about now.

Thanks

map3.png

map1.png

map2.png

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It works :) I added the map location I use as "Home" on sat navs (not exact but close enough) and it added me to the map straight away (y)

Thanks, that's good to hear (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looks pretty good to me. (y) I've added my post code and it's put a pin near enough in the right place.

One suggestion, if there's a way to do it, would be to filter out read only members or perhaps anyone that hasn't logged in for a certain period of time or something like that. Not a criticism, just an idea (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Really accurate...not !

Currently there are 14 funsters in scarborough, the majority parked in the St Thomas st carpark.
3 are parked IN the Matalan building,
3 are parked on yellow lines with a no loading restriction on St Thomas st, 1 is parked on a major bus stop, 1 is parked on the pedestrian zone and i am parked bang in the middle of TKMAX....which is around 2.5 miles from my house which is where i am now and have been all day.
There are no other funsters for miles around....according to google maps.
What a waste of time.
Screenshot_2016-09-26-16-26-28.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably that is because your location (and those of the others) is just given as Scarborough rather than something more accurate John.
As per Link Removed, it is as accurate as the information I have added.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
There were 102 Funsters in the Sainsburys Distribution Centre at Daventry a few minutes ago... :eek:
A secret rally perhaps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Presumably that is because your location (and those of the others) is just given as Scarborough rather than something more accurate John.
Thanks Graham, that explains a lot....but i never realised Scarborough was home to 13 other funsters.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Looking good here too Jim.

Only comment is that is slow to populate,... But the kids are home from school soaking up all the village broadband capacity swapping nude pictures of themselves on Faceache and Snapchat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can see any way of updating to an accurate location Graham ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I seemed to be there [here?] even before I put in my postcode :confused:.
Is there a [logical] explanation why there might be such a high concentration of funsters [over 100] located at the Daventry Sainsbury Distribution Centre ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK, the problem is that at the moment I have to show everyone, all or nothing. In the meantime, to avoid the confusion (or add to it) Read only Funsters are counted, but I've made their place marker invisible, so you'll only see markers for active members.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thinking about it, it might work better if I do different colours for lapsed member and current ones. I'll try that later and see what it looks like. gotta dash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I seemed to be there [here?] even before I put in my postcode :confused:.
Is there a [logical] explanation why there might be such a high concentration of funsters [over 100] located at the Daventry Sainsbury Distribution Centre ?
Looks like the same reason GJH just gave me.
If they all gave their location in their profile as simply Daventry then their location will be central to Daventry.
It needs a postcode etc to be accurate but i dont see any way of updating.
Over to you Graham.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi Jim I've added my full address and postcode and the pin is right on Weaver Close(y) its just that the name under the pin is J.Hartshorn the local milkman who lives 2 doors away:LOL:
Brian & Jo

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Got it right first time @Jim and I'm bloody useless at this malarkey. :D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Looks like the same reason GJH just gave me.
If they all gave their location in their profile as simply Daventry then their location will be central to Daventry.
It needs a postcode etc to be accurate but i dont see any way of updating.
Over to you Graham.
You can add your "map location"
Personal details > scroll down to MH Type and there's a box under that.
Jim's put in a tutorial at the top of the thread

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's it, beat me to it :D
Only comment is that is slow to populate,... But the kids are home from school soaking up all the village broadband capacity swapping nude pictures of themselves on Faceache and Snapchat.
Must be local to you. I put a postcode into my profile, refreshed the map (which was open in another tab) and I was there.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Tried sticking in co-ordinates. Shows on map but not totally accurate.:confused: Places me in the local library.:eek: Do they have "top shelf" mags in libraries nowadays?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's better with the Read Only out of the picture. Mine came up spot on in West Lynn but when I added a second location as we could on the old version I've disappeared from the UK. :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorted...thank you.
Except im at the back of the house and the pushpin is at the front....not good enough, i said not good enough.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looking at Eastbourne (for example) as you zoom in, the map says 11 members, but zooming in closer, only 3 pins appear.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looking at Eastbourne (for example) as you zoom in, the map says 11 members, but zooming in closer, only 3 pins appear.
As Jim explained earlier, read only funsters are listed but their flag is omitted as are those who list their location as something non geographical....in my van or wherever im parked etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back