West coast Scotland(advice please) (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi guys Me & Jo are planning to do 2wks on the west coast of Scotland in 2017 hopefully taking in the Isles of Jura,Islay and Kintyre.Excluding July because we are going to the British Grand Prix(y) what is the best time to travel in these areas hopefully avoiding any midges?.Are these places Motorhome friendly? We are almost 9mtrs long + Toyota Aygo.Any good sites that members have stayed on?What are the ferries like? Any advice welcome ,thank you.
Brian & Jo

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We have usually took the toad but did a two week trip at the beginning of September with just the MH at 7.6mtrs and found it great as we could explore smaller roads without the hassle of not being able to reverse if needed especially on some single track roads.
Loads of decent sites for replenishing water and dumping waste but wilding is both easy and welcome.
The ferry is expensive enough without taking the car and IMV not needed unless you need to park right outside of where you shop etc.
As for midges, we only had one day after a wet night and no wind when we noticed any.
Enjoy

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
May ........ As in the month of May. There's generally a good couple of weeks in the month and no midgies (y)
Just go. You'll love it:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Wonderful area to visit. Regarding Isla and Jura, very few camp-sites but wilding is tolerated provided one is discreet and considerate of course. We have only visited those islands in a car although we have travelled extensively on the west coast, Mull and Skye in the motorhome. As I remember it, the ferry ramp at Port Askaig has a fairly sharp departure angle at some states of tide which might make it difficult in a long motorhome, especially with a towed car. Jura is beautiful but remote and rugged - more Red Deer than people. Also one of the few Scottish islands to support an adder population. Only one road (single track) up and back.
This website may be of interest http://www.islayinfo.com/islay_campsites_motorhomes.html

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
You won't get on to Jura ferry if you have a long overhang. They stopped us boarding in a hired 7.5m van. We haven't been over in our current van as that would be equally unsuitable.
Loved Islay...but then again I love my whisky :D

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Hi. We are just returning from doing a round trip of Scotland. The highlight for us was the north coast, beautiful beaches and walks together with an abundance of wild camping spaces.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, 2015we took our rv on a hop scotch ticket, (calladonian macbrae) from ardrossan to the isle of Arran (2 campsites). Ferry from Lockranza (very steep ramp to ferry)to Claonaig 15 minutes drive to kennacraig ferry to port Ellen islay. Spent a week on islay wild camping black rock and kilcholman (beautiful beach). Campsite at port Charlotte.with water, elect and dump.etc. All whisky distilleries have cafes etc, if you want to eat out. No middies in May. Avoid whisky week end of May 2017 unless you partake. Fill up before the islands which ever you visit. One garage on islay with glass bottles only.
Avoid port askaig if at all possible, steep exit from the port with vey tight l/h bend half way up, arctics take the whole road to turn up.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
It's hard to say the best time to avoid midges, probably May but there are no guarantees. It's all down to the weather. Scotland can be blessed? with windy weather which will keep it midge free at any time of year. As an angler who spent most of my life fishing in Scotland I can Recommend Avon Skin So Soft (original) spray which is as good in my opinion as any repellents currently available for keeping the little pests at bay. Last night I found something you may be interested in on www.Pocketmags.com which sells digital copies of most magazines. A magazine called 'Scottish Islands Explorer' you can get an annual subscription or you can pick and choose from back issues, each one spotlights a different island among other things. Back issues cost £1.99 each and are worth a look. They only have 60 odd pages but contain very few ads and are a good read(y)

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
as above but we went up in April this year and weather good , bit chilly at night but overall great time to go

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
what is the best time to travel in these areas hopefully avoiding any midges?.
Unfortunately you can't avoid the midges but they don't seem any worse on the coast than they do in Glasgow. Midges are ahit or miss depending on weather that day. Just arm yourself with repellent and on you go!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back