Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Firstly, a big thanks to the Marshals at Lincoln. We turned up in the dark, but still got a warm welcome.

Turning now to the show's main entertainment, we were disappointed with Mssrs Lynch and Tarbuck. I guess it was the opportunity to see a big name, rather than being a dedicated fan of Jimmy Tarbuck that made us part with £17 EACH!

Kenny Lynch opened the 'set' with a few Sinatra-type songs, which he seemed to struggle with. Tarbuck didn't do long on stage. He told a few old gags and had a pop at Hull being proclaimed a City of Culture. It all finished 5 mins earlier than billed and to pad out the time came an awkward bit where they dragged up the lead guitarist of a support band to accompany Tarby and Lynch in a final song. The guitarist (who was in his twenties and had allegedly never heard of Tarbuck) was on the phone to his dad backstage and not prepared.

Sorry, might just be me, but a Palladium performance - it wasn't!

Quite enjoyed the Friday night band (Ska Britania) who were good musicians, energetic and had the Marquee rocking!

Anybody else feel the same? Or am I just a M.O.G. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
To be fair, they are 78 and 76 respectively - could any of us do a Palladium performance at that age?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
sorry but i am not keen to pay over the odds for a couple of has beens to try and relive their glory days

I doubt they are trying to relive the "glory days".

I suspect they were just going to work, like they have always done.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would guess that the show just buy a package for a set price and get told what acts they are going to get. Shame they do not have club acts like wheel tappers and shunters used to have. Up and coming acts or ones that just toured the clubs and never went on tv.

Reactions: CWH

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Firstly, a big thanks to the Marshals at Lincoln. We turned up in the dark, but still got a warm welcome.

Turning now to the show's main entertainment, we were disappointed with Mssrs Lynch and Tarbuck. I guess it was the opportunity to see a big name, rather than being a dedicated fan of Jimmy Tarbuck that made us part with £17 EACH!

Kenny Lynch opened the 'set' with a few Sinatra-type songs, which he seemed to struggle with. Tarbuck didn't do long on stage. He told a few old gags and had a pop at Hull being proclaimed a City of Culture. It all finished 5 mins earlier than billed and to pad out the time came an awkward bit where they dragged up the lead guitarist of a support band to accompany Tarby and Lynch in a final song. The guitarist (who was in his twenties and had allegedly never heard of Tarbuck) was on the phone to his dad backstage and not prepared.

Sorry, might just be me, but a Palladium performance - it wasn't!

Quite enjoyed the Friday night band (Ska Britania) who were good musicians, energetic and had the Marquee rocking!

Anybody else feel the same? Or am I just a M.O.G. :)
At 78, I was impressed with his voice, but it was all a bit short. We left early as didn't like Doctor and the medics - listened to the Funster band finish up instead.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
More to the point, we had an absolutely STONKING time in the Funsters tent.. Thanks to The Rex Factor and Suggy
All it cost was the booze we sank and a chair ( but that is another story aint it Dazza ? :doh: :rofl:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Herman Hermits, were were pretty good last night IMO - but the drummer and the bass guitarist, both born in 1946 are now 70. It takes some stamina to stand up there for an hour and even more when you're in your seventy first year.

Good weekend none the less - thanks to all involved.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
At 78, I was impressed with his voice, but it was all a bit short. We left early as didn't like Doctor and the medics - listened to the Funster band finish up instead.
Doctor and the Medics!! We saw them in Aberdeen in 1999 and they were past it then! It was really funny we were in a really sweaty club and the "Doctors" make up all ran off during the act....
Well it made us laugh (but we were p!ssed....)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Doctor and the Medics!! We saw them in Aberdeen in 1999 and they were past it then! It was really funny we were in a really sweaty club and the "Doctors" make up all ran off during the act....
Well it made us laugh (but we were p!ssed....)
We were sober, which somehow made it worse. A lot worse.

Better than the Rubettes at Peterborough a couple of years ago. They just emptied the hall......

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To be fair, they are 78 and 76 respectively - could any of us do a Palladium performance at that age?

We saw 71 year old Jasper Carrott earlier this year, he was leaping round the stage and had us all falling out of our seats.

We saw 86 year old Chris Barber recently, definitely not leaping around the stage but what a performance we got.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
More to the point, we had an absolutely STONKING time in the Funsters tent.. Thanks to The Rex Factor and Suggy
All it cost was the booze we sank and a chair ( but that is another story aint it Dazza ? :doh: :rofl:
We loved the Funster entertainment, it was hysterical and, very entertaining! :D

I had wanted to go to the main entertainment, but my wife didn't. I'm glad we didn't now, after reading this!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We saw 71 year old Jasper Carrott earlier this year, he was leaping round the stage and had us all falling out of our seats.

We saw 86 year old Chris Barber recently, definitely not leaping around the stage but what a performance we got.
Many of these entertainers carry on not because they have to, but because they want to, or in fact don't know any other lifestyle. Some of the second rate entertainers are of course skint and have to perform, but that certainly isn't Jasper Carrot with his TV production companies. He is very funny. Hats off to them all; at least they are still trying instead to sitting around bitterly kicking their feet all day. It is a shame that some should have in fact given up some time ago, though

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Some can (y) some can't (n)
I never could :(

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when ever you go and see an artist on the slippery slope downwards its a gamble i actually thought lynchy had kept his voice well considering he wasnt a top singer when he was young but i agree tarby struggled badly
the eric and little ern act were dire

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp

Well you know what they say 'if you buy a cheap chair don't let a fat man sit on it'

I'm sure 'Odd Job' can fjx it.
But as you said a great night had by all.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you are an aging performer, wouldn't you try and do your best set and make it last the duration rather than a mediocre short performance? I am referring to stage acts rather than bedroom antics.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I can laugh at his daughter Lisa - she has inherited her Dads wit I reckon.

Yes she is very funny on her radio show!
We download a few of her shows to listen
to when we are travelling through France
in the Motorhome!(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Saw Ken Dodd recently here in Eastbourne. He was excellent in spite of the rather crappy sound system. Shortly after coming on he told us that an optimist was someone who'd booked a taxi for 12.30. He was due to finish around 10.30 and was still going strong at midnight when we had to leave in case the dogs were suffering a ruptured bladder (I know I was)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Saw Ken Dodd recently here in Eastbourne. He was excellent in spite of the rather crappy sound system. Shortly after coming on he told us that an optimist was someone who'd booked a taxi for 12.30. He was due to finish around 10.30 and was still going strong at midnight when we had to leave in case the dogs were suffering a ruptured bladder (I know I was)

We saw him a few years ago at The Broadway in Peterborough.
He came on with a Flask and box of sandwiches saying I hope
your brought yours cus gonna be a late night,and it was!
He was very funny tho,dont know how he remembers
over 4 hours of gags!:):)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well you know what they say 'if you buy a cheap chair don't let a fat man sit on it'

I'm sure 'Odd Job' can fjx it.
But as you said a great night had by all.
There's some chair related hilarity that I clearly missed here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back