Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
So here we are with our new, old motorhome which we've now owned for 48 hours, complete beginners . We're currently at a site that has a drain to pour grey water down but you cannot drive over it. What do you recommend we use/buy in such situations? It doesn't matter at the moment as we are only here til Monday and can empty where we will store (until next trip). Just wondered what we need.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
or see if you can get an extension hose to fit on to the outlet pipe, we have 5m of hose that we connect when we cant drive over or get near enough (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We're going home via Highbridge so we can look round shop. We haven't got a hose yet.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
A lot of standard buckets are too high for the grey tap so we use one of the lower 10 litre paint tubs, Snowcem to be exact, which my wife was appalled when I said I would use it so she decorated it....

20160924_170056.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't do as I witnessed last week. Out late walking the dog went past a MH with the drain cracked open, same van had his drain open when he left next morning. Not the first time I've seen this.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Nice and slim to fit under the lowest grey drain, then it's a bit of exercise to take it to the drain point. Lots of sites I've been on say that they're very happy to have the grey put in the hedgerow, but ask first and not near or on anyone else's pitch:)

Best thing is to wild camp, empty it on the grass, down the drain, etc. Does no harm at all that way, however NEVER on the road or highway, as it could lead to an accident and defo don't drive with it open. Gives us motorhomes a bad name:)

On a narrow boat the grey is pumped directly into the canal. Just a spot of common sense will see you knowing where and when to dump it :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
All depends on how much storage you have and can spare for all your needs. We haven't come across your problem as such but I have a collapsible bucket for such situations. On drive over ones, it's handy to have a pipe (ours is convoluted but only about 2' long) so your grey can be directed into the exact spot.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A bucket, but not a normal bucket.

A bucket with holes in the bottom that you place under the grey waste pipe and which never fills up.

I am selling these buckets at £17.99 ( €19.99) if you are interested.

PM me or e mail chris@magicblinkingbucket.com
Or you could buy an ordinary bucket and put holes in the bottom for about £2.00 complete but responsible motorhome owners wouldn't do that and certainly wouldn't pay exorbitant prices

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Or you could wait untill dark and open the tap slightly , by morning it would be empty and no one would know . The earth wouldn't stop spinning , the grass would still grow ,fish won't die ,frogs will still spawn and life will go on .
However it will bother the neyseyers ,who will hope you rot in hell for eternity,but some of us can live with that .:whistle2:

Vlad

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think my tap must be broke as there's always a dribble coming from it when parked. ;)

:reel::reel::reel::reel::reel:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well thank you for your suggestions, some useful and,dare I say, some not so. However we do have a garage with room so we will check out the height when choosing a bucket. If we're lucky one from home will do. Also check out size for a small hose to fit on.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If the site hasn't got the facilities then just open the valve..... It's their problem not yours that they haven't got what you've paid for...!

:whistle:
That's providing they haven't got what you've paid for, however, they may not have those facilities. Just fast forward. You get to site and park, step out into a bog and realise that the previous occupier of that place emptied 60 litres of grey water just where you stepped into it. If you're happy at that, then repeat their responsive qualities.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the above post got me intrigued, firstly I must say I do not dump irresponsibly and would not dump on a site pitch before leaving, particularly during a dry period

but that got me thinking and I do like mental arithmatics (even if I can't spell it) :)

thinking of the mentioned boggy pitch and then equating it to rainfall, if we get 10mm of rain overnight, not uncommon, my 8m x 2.2m roof will shed 176 litres during that downpour

not really sure this has contributed much to the thread, but I was bored (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
the above post got me intrigued, firstly I must say I do not dump irresponsibly and would not dump on a site pitch before leaving, particularly during a dry period

but that got me thinking and I do like mental arithmatics (even if I can't spell it) :)

thinking of the mentioned boggy pitch and then equating it to rainfall, if we get 10mm of rain overnight, not uncommon, my 8m x 2.2m roof will shed 176 litres during that downpour

not really sure this has contributed much to the thread, but I was bored (y)
Yes I certainly appreciate the arithmetic but the rainfall, even building up from various sources would still be rainfall. Grey water is probably not drinkable and detergents been added. This, as we all know, makes water wetter and it may be possible that things that get washed into the grey water tank may not be compatible with the base or wildlife.
Perhaps it's just me but I always assumed they have grey water dumping places because some individuals grey water may hold contaminants and some are definitely noxious.
I'm happy to dump unused fresh water but certainly not grey or black waste except in proper places

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
If we are on site for a long time or just don't want to move off pitch to dump point then we just drop the grey into waste master and wheel to the dump point job done (y).If we are on a rally then we just use the hedgerow .And as members have said never open the tap whilst in transit:eek:.
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't agree with any of that. God only knows what's in our rainfalls and, if by looking at my car all covered in a sticky sand, there's lots of nasties in there. But the grass still grows, flowers thrive and the farmers aren't complaining.

If this magical grey stuff is so bad for us, how come the British Waterways allow it to be pumped from hundreds of narrowboats, directly into canals. Doesn't kill the fish, spoil the environment or cause any damage.

Think it's polite and proper to control the disposal, but not because it damages the eco-system. Just need common sense with it all:)

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Reminds me of the time we booked in at a campsite that was also a working farm. When I enquired about dumping waste they just laughed. "We drive our cattle from field to field via the lanes. Do you think they take care what they dump and where? It's all part of the natural cycle and fertilization of the land"

Makes you think.

Wyn

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't agree with any of that. God only knows what's in our rainfalls and, if by looking at my car all covered in a sticky sand, there's lots of nasties in there. But the grass still grows, flowers thrive and the farmers aren't complaining.

If this magical grey stuff is so bad for us, how come the British Waterways allow it to be pumped from hundreds of narrowboats, directly into canals. Doesn't kill the fish, spoil the environment or cause any damage.

Think it's polite and proper to control the disposal, but not because it damages the eco-system. Just need common sense with it all:)
Actually I do like your reasoning and find that I've decided to change my stance.
From now on I'll keep my tap open or if I forget, I'll dump my grey water wherever I happen to be.
That's why these forums are good and helpful. I don't need to go out of my way now to dump.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes I certainly appreciate the arithmetic but the rainfall, even building up from various sources would still be rainfall. Grey water is probably not drinkable and detergents been added. This, as we all know, makes water wetter and it may be possible that things that get washed into the grey water tank may not be compatible with the base or wildlife.
Perhaps it's just me but I always assumed they have grey water dumping places because some individuals grey water may hold contaminants and some are definitely noxious.
I'm happy to dump unused fresh water but certainly not grey or black waste except in proper places

A friend who works as a scientist with the Environment Agency pondered this question for a while ... then advised me that emptying grey water into a hedgerow shouldn't harm wildlife.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When I first joined this forum I got sucked into grey water debates too frequently, my job involves dirty water and somehow I felt it my duty to share my wealth of knowledge :):)

In reality, grey water on land is nearly the perfect way to dump it, the liquid will benefit, in time even the 'bits' will benefit parts of the eco system

But it would never be nice to have a foaming, greasy wet patch, sprinkled with somebody elses last nights food dregs on your pitch as you arrive, neither is it nice to follow same down the road, or be splashed by same as the unthinking or uncaring leave sites in town / city centres where people are walking in shorts / sandals on nice days (been on the receiving end of that)

Equally when on rally fields open taps would be fine, but please close them to travel (see above)

Manners maketh man and woman (y)

now look I have been sucked back in again o_O

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back