Are we unique ........ (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
You are not alone . . . .:)

We bought our M.H. exclusively for U.K. & possibly Eire travel & is but one of our broader travel options.

We do however, enjoy our BBQ's :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Everything is entirely your choice.

Foreign shores, BBQs, wild camping.....no rules and no expectations, do as you want you won't be thought of any different.

Same applies to any fun meets you may attend, you do what you want to do, no pressure to join in with anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Well, we are not like you by any means. We love France (and beyond) and BBQs but that only makes us different (y)
This would be a very sad world if we were all liked the same things. You only have to look at most threads on here to see how different folk are.
However, we do have one thing in common, a Motorhome and because of that no blackballing will occur :LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is there anyone else out there like us? .

One or two.

That is one or two too many underachievers. The enlightened ones, the ones who do not have a locker full of umbrellas and sou'westers keep trying to educate them before you die of boredom and web feet.

There's a wonderous world out there just 26 miles across the water.

France is OK but mainly it leads to better places.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
You sound a bit like us, we have no burning desire to see France but may try it once and drive to Spain to visit relatives but if it doesn't happen we won't be upset. We still have a lot of places to visit in UK. We don't mind eating barbecued food but can't be bothered with procedure the Cadac is as close as it gets now.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Ok we're going to come clean - we don't like BBQs either :eek: the smoke and smell of cooking meat sends us running for cover inside our MH. And the wind always seems to blow it towards us.

But we do like exploring the continent as well as the UK.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
But you will discover the beauty of a Motorhome in so much as it's your choice where you go how long you stay, and you tailor your motorhoming to what suits you, if it's the UK we have been touring for 30 years and still have a lot undiscovered, do what suits you
Happy Travels.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
@reckless, I don't like the smoke or the smell either. Unfortunately, we have new neighbours next door to us, a couple of young lads, and I'm sure they would bbq every day if they could (they have done so in the rain ). It has stopped me enjoying my garden as I can't sit out there with the smoke and smell - and what really annoys me is when I have washing out, grrrr. Oops, sorry, gone a bit off thread.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.
For 9 years I have toured the UK for at least three months every year and still love it to bits .loads of great places to go to and enjoy .but this year after my tour which ended in August I braved the channel and had three glorious weeks exploring the French coast around the Brest peninsula.and loved it. Just give it a whirl one year and see what a lot of people are saying . Oh .congratulations on your new motorhome have loads of pleasure .Roy

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Diggerdi it's not a proper thread until it goes off-topic :D

But you're right to say that BBQs are very popular on MH/camping holidays and I understand why people want to get the cooking process out of the MH. BBQs just not our thing and don't really want to share the neighbours'!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We were surprised how much we enjoyed touring Europe, but also love holidaying in the UK. It wouldn't bother us we could never fly long haul again though :).

Not bothered about BBQs though a load of fuss for a few bits of food usually burnt :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We go abroad in our MH twice a year for 6 weeks, and do only very short trips in the UK, usually to shows or odd weekends away. We really love France and as we speak the lingo a bit (2 years at night class), we find that it makes it more enjoyable as we can understand some of the blurb about the areas we visit on information panels etc that are just in French, and it's nice to be able to have some basic conversation with the natives, or if an emergency arises (which has happened!).

I love the UK too but the way we use our MH such as wild camping and not really liking sites, France etc is much more suitable than home and of course there's the weather and the fact that villages and towns are more 'accepting' of having MHs around!

If you don't want to do it though, there's no reason you have to, but IMV you are missing out by not giving at least one try to see if you like it or not.

As for BBQing ... we used to do it all the time at one point (proper ones, not Cadac 'griddles') but now rarely do so as it's too much hassle and often we're not in a place where we could do it anyway (ie not allowed).

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't like barbees but you would love a trip over the channel perhaps after you have gained your confidence in the UK and realise how liberating it is to be able to come and go as you please.
Go on give Europe a try it's great.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Fair enough though the quick crossing is only one day and your dogs are well catered for. Is that worse than 3 or 4 days or more trundling down France ?
Yeh but at least you can let the dogs out for a walk while trundling.(y)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've only been motorhoming for 14 months so far but I've managed to stay at +30 different sites already. The UK has soooooo much to offer, I've tried all sorts of sites from little 5x pitch sites to 100+ pitch sites, I've tried wild camping too and with all the different places to go, I've not even scratched the surface of what our beautiful country has on offer (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fair enough though the quick crossing is only one day and your dogs are well catered for. Is that worse than 3 or 4 days or more trundling down France ?
If they're like us the dogs are part of the family and NOT taking them on holiday would be awful!

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's the beauty of motorhoming, do & go where you want when you want,just come back from a lovely trip to west kent/ East Sussex.Next trip planned is France & Spain.P.S Nice choice of motor home, perfect for the continent !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't like BBQ's either but do use a single burnner gas ring for cooking fatty stuff outside.
As for the UK can't be arsed far too much hassle trying to use a Motorhome in the UK, only do a couple of music festivals and the odd weekend in the UK, at the moment doing two 8 week trips abroad each, year typing this at the moment in Croatia.
If the UK could wake up to Motorhomer's needs might be inclined to try it but in the meantime I will go where my cash is welcome.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Nope, all of my bits are in the right place ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back