Partial Re-wire Urgently Required (1 Viewer)

Gerard Saunders

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Battle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
11 years
Hello. I am looking for someone who can replace the charging system on our 2003 Knaus Sun Traveller. It has a Calira system at present.

We purchased the vehicle from a dealer in June and subsequently discovered some faults. We love the layout of the vehicle and it has a very low mileage, so before we go down the painful road of seeking a refund of the price we paid I would be grateful to hear from someone who might be competent at working on these things, beyond just testing and replacing components.

I envisage a new charging system being installed, following which existing components, water gauges etc. would need to be wired in using appropriate connectors. It is my understanding that the existing control unit cannot be repaired. (I have tried the chaps in Wales!)

I am not looking for a cheap fix and fully appreciate that the job would be time consuming. Thank you in advance for any pointers. We are based in East Sussex but are happy to travel.

Regards, Gerard Saunders

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's not rocket science by a long way so don't panic. These people can supply all the parts, give them a ring and ask if they know technicians.

Link Removed

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/en/

And of course, good old Johns Cross is near you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would second the VanBitz recommendation. His work is second to none and will be of top quality. Might need to book in quite a bit ahead of time as he is in high demand.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is it just not charging on EHU?
The Mother in Laws Calira packed up in such a way and I simply grafted in a Durite 20 amp 4 step charger, leaving the Calira unit in place.
Total cost about £95.

OP
OP
Gerard Saunders

Gerard Saunders

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Battle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
11 years
Thanks for the encouragement, but I assume you had to analyse all the internal wires to panel, meters etc. then connect to appropriate pins on the new charger?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the encouragement, but I assume you had to analyse all the internal wires to panel, meters etc. then connect to appropriate pins on the new charger?

No, look under the Calira box and all the plugs are labelled.
Pick the positive to the leisure battery and tap into that with the charger positive output. Chose a common negative cable for the charger negative output.
Then remove a 240v output plug from the Calira box, split it, and parallel the charger supply out of that. Reassemble the plug and replace it in the socket in the Calira unit.

Everything works then,as it should, without replacing all the 12v distribution.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Given that you live in East Sussex you could try Johns Cross on the A21 North of Battle. Very good service from my experience

But why isn't the dealer you bought it from sorting it out as he is required to under receny legislation?

OP
OP
Gerard Saunders

Gerard Saunders

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Battle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
11 years
The dealer has agreed to pay for the work. As ther are 250 miles away this seems the best solution.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
maybe if you explained what is actually not working rather than seeking to start from scratch you might get better advice
most motor home system comprise of a charger /power supply a split charge relay a fridge relay and a few switches and gauges
usually over complicated by a digital user interface these days all the parts can be replaced or piggy backed as a repair

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@funflair (Martin) has a contact for a one man band who repairs leisure charging units.

It might even be this one, which came up from my bookmarks.
http://www.leisureelectronicrepairs.co.uk/

I must admit, I like the sound of the repair which @jonandshell described above :) especially if the original unit cannot be repaired, although I might not be happy about attempting to do it myself, ie, unsupervised. ;)

Good luck with it @Gerard Saunders. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair (Martin) has a contact for a one man band who repairs leisure charging units.

It might even be this one, which came up from my bookmarks.
http://www.leisureelectronicrepairs.co.uk/

I must admit, I like the sound of the repair which @jonandshell described above :) especially if the original unit cannot be repaired, although I might not be happy about attempting to do it myself, ie, unsupervised. ;)

Good luck with it @Gerard Saunders. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Don't think I have Jock.

Martin

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you've got it sorted, but should anyone else be in the same position these folk claim to be able to do repairs: http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/calira.php

I 2nd that. Alan got us out of the mire a week before our trip to France last year. He went out of his way to get us sorted and charged far less than he could have.

Reactions: DBK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I 2nd that. Alan got us out of the mire a week before our trip to France last year. He went out of his way to get us sorted and charged far less than he could have.

OK apart from original post...........

>> (I have tried the chaps in Wales!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back