croatia (1 Viewer)

pat

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Funster No
Can anyone recomend good campsites here.Preferably clean clear water,with beach to set off from.I keep reading of swimming from rocks,in water covered in algae.Thanks
Pat:Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Can anyone recomend good campsites here.Preferably clean clear water,with beach to set off from.I keep reading of swimming from rocks,in water covered in algae.Thanks

I will watch this with interest Pat.. Next year for a change, I think we are going to go to Croatia and slovenia. Something we have never tried so look forward to the plans.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Slovinia

did West Slovinia last year in Sept. Lake Bled and the Julian Alps are really worth it We also visited the Lipistana horses at their stables and did the caverns also. Haven't the details to hand but can dig them out if required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting

Hi Pat we stopped at around 15 sites in Croatia and never seen algae at any sites where about are you going in Croatia and I will recomend if have been to that area as we traveled down the all the way down the coast to Dobrovnk. Mind you this was in June and July so not sure about August

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Pat we stopped at around 15 sites in Croatia and never seen algae at any sites where about are you going in Croatia and I will recomend if have been to that area as we traveled down the all the way down the coast to Dobrovnk. Mind you this was in June and July so not sure about August

I still have the idea in my mind that Croatia wouldnt be a safe place to travel in after the conflict there. Am I wrong, is it all ok there now.

Jim
:Smile:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
I still have the idea in my mind that Croatia wouldnt be a safe place to travel in after the conflict there. Am I wrong, is it all ok there now.

Jim
:Smile:

Hello Jim
Croatia is very safe and there is loads of sites most of the locals speak english as the 2nd tv channel is in english with croatian subtitles. Will say that wc is not allowed and you will be moved on.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
did West Slovinia last year in Sept. Lake Bled and the Julian Alps are really worth it We also visited the Lipistana horses at their stables and did the caverns also. Haven't the details to hand but can dig them out if required.

Hi Geoff, we have had some wonderful holidays in Slovinia and Croatia (flying of course)and would be very interested in any information you can provide.

We have two dogs, what are the rules regarding PETS Passport and do they allow/encourage dogs on the campsites??

Ginny and Mike

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've not taken a motorhome to Croatia but have taken holidays there often. I felt very safe there. The Croats are very friendly and obliging. The south (Dubrovnik area) is where I prefer. August is very hot and the sea is crystal clear. I recommend lots of ice cream to resolve the heat problem :thumb:

OP
OP
P

pat

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Funster No
Dont we all, wanttobeaway. Thanks for help. We are thinking Sept. And between RIJEKA & ZADAR unless you know better.Have seen one in camping cheque book, called CAMPING VILLAGE SIMUNI, have you seen this.

Sep 6, 2009
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Intergratedq
Exp
since 2003
Hi All. We used the caravan club europe 2 campsite book which shows a lot of sites for croatia, it is a great place to visit people are very frendly we went right down to Dubrovnik and it was a great trip. Just for interest we went from Germany,Poland,Slovaka,Hungry,SLovenia,Croatia. we used caravan club europe no1/2 all the time and found it to be a great campsite guide. I would add we went in sept/oct and the weather was good and we had no trouble staying anywhere. Regards. Len

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We travelled to Crotia in 2002.
We arrived in Ostend, travelled through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia into Croatia, the site we stayed on was at a place called Moscenicka Draga, it cost 92 Kuna (ÂŁ9.70) we stayed 2 nights and the pitch we stayed on was on 2 levels.
The beach was about 2 mins walk and was pebbly but no algae, we did a dive here and the water was crystal clear.
If you drive through Austria there is a nice site on the borders to Slovenia at a lake, think the site is called "Faakersee" in a town called "Villach", think it cost about 21 Euros, very nice site with all facilites.

Another place well worth a visit is "Oradour Sur Glance" a whole village that the germans took over and killed all the people, but everything is as it was left, only 2 people survived, very eerie walking roung.

hope this helps

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
We never stayed here but here are a few that we stayed at from the top

Umag - Stella massive site half touring other half holiday camp like oasis
Novigrad - Serena another large site shaded are in a open field
Vrsar - Valkanela another massive site plenty going on
Medveja - Medveja this is the green area so I am told maybe that’s why it rained
Senj - Only small site but the road down from here is one of the best in Europe I would say
Starigrad - Basic site behind hotel but we had a nice pitch on the front
Drage - Oaza lovely site well chilled out here
Primosten - Camp Adriatic another big site with plenty going on
Seget Vranjica - camp belverdere big site used by the schools for there holidays. next to Trogir
Split - split campsite You can get the bus into the center from the front gates
Drvenik - Camp dole nice setting on the sea and a nice stroll to village for a meal
Kupari - Kupari large site but was a bit run down but great to visit Dubrovnik

We also stopped at a few big sites around Pula and some small camps down the coast which where like CC sites. All the sites where on the coast so if you get a good pitch you will watch the sunset over the Adriatic and nip out for a dip in the morning. All the sites take Pets. If you wanted plenty to do on the sites I would say the top end of Croatia is best but in close season most are quiet there is a site between Umag and Novigrad which we stayed at and there was entertainment on in June but pet area was in shade so we only stayed the one night

Here is a map of the sites which we stayed at if it works

My Overnight stops - Google Maps

Last edited:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Croatia is Gods country with very clean seas for bathing, mainly due to the many 'rocky beaches,' this tends to to churn up the water pulling in the oxygen and keeping it clean.
Camping in Istria is plentiful along with other islands visited such as Cres, Kirk and across to Rijeka on the opposite mainland. It was easy to cross to the islands by ferry with our 7m M/H which included our Speedfight scooter on the rear. This bike gave a lot of freedom to see areas away from the beach with very little traffic on the side roads.
As most will tell you , this is a big Naturist country where maybe 50% of the beaches are for Naturists.
As far as getting there it is nearer than Spain, and easier. Our route was via Caen and straight down to the Frejus Tunnel ( about ÂŁ25 ), stayed outside on the aire and made for Lake Garda the following day. After about a week we then made for Venice on the Lido, again plenty of sites without booking in May June, then catching the ferry into Venice proper. What a way to enter Venice, absolutely a beautiful sight, we walked ourselves silly around the back streets of Venice, visited various churches etc and came back to the van knackered.
We then hit the road to Croatia via Trieste staying above Rovinj at Fortuna campsite, again no booking in May, June. We must return.
We have also been to Dubrovnik area, by plane, during the bad days where only about half a dozen people could be seen walking across the draw bridge and down through the main areas with many buildings etc were being restored. Just around the corner guns were still blasting, hard to believe this could happen in such a beautiful country.
Regards Ron W

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
you must have done similiar route to us Ronald, I have relatives in Trieste so visited quite a few times, lake garda is also beautiful at the right time of year.
It is a shame that so much of former Yougoslavia has been spoilt.

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
Hi
wnet to Croaita last sept (08) Drove as far south as Biograd and then worked our way back north. S of Biograd stopped at soline large site 15 mins by bike to biograd. then to small site between Zaton and Nin called Peros ( next to alrge site called Zaton) Caught bus to Zardor and cycled to Nin and local beaches - Beautiful. Then onto Pag Ferry to aminland up the coast and ferry to Rab lovely island campsite padova 3 15 mins on bike to town ferry to krk nice campsite outside of Punat nice resturants - had a meal on table opposite to Karl Lagerfeld!
Croatia is well worth atrip and relatively cheap compared with rest of europe :thumb: Sea was fine all month!

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we were in croatia aug this year, we only went as far as pula and stayed at camping stoja its great place and will be going back that way next summer.
the beach there was rocky and the water was crystal clear with dolphins swimming about,

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years

Hi

Yes we can recommend a few actually, it depends on where in Croatia you want to go. We went last year and basically started at the top near Pula and worked our way down to south of Dubrovnik. The highlight was our stay just south of Zadar at Camping Rio in Sv Philip I Jacov - the facilities were excellent for a small privately owned site with clean toilet block and showers, their own boat jetty and a private swimming area from either the beach or from the jetty. With the small port of Biograd about 10 mins walk and the ferry across to Pagman Island (1 Euro each by foot) it is a great base to explore the area. We were only the 2nd British van to have been there in the 6 years they have been open but there were loads of Dutch and Germans there. (We ended up staying 10 nights rather than the 2-3 planned!!). We even got a Xmas card from the owner!! See eurocampings.co.uk/en/.../croatia/zadar/autocamp-rio-108144

Generally the campsites are good, inexpensive and most have there own beach/swimming areas - at no time did we have to jump in from Algae covered rocks!

We used Alan Rogers Eastern Europe to find most of our sites (unfortunately rough camping is forbidden anywhere) but a memorable trip and one we will do again, probably taking in Tuscany at the same time. (We did Austria and Italian Lakes and then Hungary/Czech Republic and E.Germany last time).
:thumb:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi Geoff, we have had some wonderful holidays in Slovinia and Croatia (flying of course)and would be very interested in any information you can provide.

We have two dogs, what are the rules regarding PETS Passport and do they allow/encourage dogs on the campsites??

Ginny and Mike

Hi

We took our 2 flatcoats last year and the Croatians loved them we even got stopped and were asked (in English!) what kind of dogs are those?

No restrictions at all and :thumb:in fact all the restaurants allow dogs inside and out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back