Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
so today's news is some migrants got in via Poole. Well, what a surprise. We've just come back from Caen to Portsmouth and the only sign of security we saw was a French police woman asked if we had any migrants in the van. She never even bothered to look. When we got this end we just showed our passports and drove out the docks. We could have had half a dozen in the garage but nobody looked. It's no wonder they are coming in in their hundreds!!!

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
We came back on same route recently and can report in Caen

Six heavily armed soldiers patrolling queue.
One armed customs officer with dog searching
Two police, armed, of course, searched all motorhomes and caravans.
Private security got a ladder out and searched the back of all lorries.

There appeared to be random searches at U.K. Customs of vehicles before passport control.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We came back through the tunnel this afternoon and I was surprised there were no security checks at all, not even the most perfunctory of glances under the vehicle.
I checked under the MH myself before we left the pet passport area as this is still not in a secure area and we have history of picking up a visitor there a couple of years back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I came back via le Havre and security there was extremely good .van was searched thoroughly .and checked again at Portsmouth. No complaints from me .

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We were searched getting on at the hook, i know not any where near Pool but happy that they are doing it. Thought all ports would be the same. Worrying that the tunnel had nothing :(

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
At the tunnel, French customs waved a wand over us through cab windows then waved us on to UK customs.
Woman at desk took passports and scanned them! Never got off her arse!
Could have had 6 hidden in van!
Wonder if UK customs will improve after brexit?
Somehow i doubt it!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Came back via Caen 2 weeks ago. An armed officer came on the van and looked in the bathroom and wardrobe - but didn't bother with the garage!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i bet every port in uk as had at least one unofficial immigrant though it every year.
never mind the ferry ports what about fishing ports or liesure boat ports . nobody checks them . wake up ,its happening .

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
did you not notice cameras that look a lot like these

Link Removed

maybe they don't need to search when they already know how many are in the van

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
I'm confused about how refugees would get in to MH's at the Tunnel. We passed through a week ago with no checks or stops but to be honest we were on the motorway until the tunnel slip road and straight to check in. It seemed a secure area although there were no physical check

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Got checked twice in Calais on Saturday. Armed police before customs then again after passport control.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
did you not notice cameras that look a lot like these

Link Removed

maybe they don't need to search when they already know how many are in the van

Most vans have reasonable insulation which will make many IR cameras ineffective at seeing inside vans. They will work on soft sided trailers.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Last time out of Bilbao the GC searched almost every van apparently looking for trafficked children

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm confused about how refugees would get in to MH's at the Tunnel. We passed through a week ago with no checks or stops but to be honest we were on the motorway until the tunnel slip road and straight to check in. It seemed a secure area although there were no physical check
It's not just a question of getting in the MH, we unwittingly carried one underneath until the last check point where they look at the gas tanks. He was only a little chap and had wedged himself next to the the fresh water tank, quite a feat considering I can't even get a spare wheel fitted underneath!

He'd obviously got in when we'd taken the dog into the Pet Passport office. They've moved it now to a different building and I'd assumed it was now in the secure area, yesterday I realised it is still outside the secure area and there was a notice advising users to check their vehicles, I didn't see anyone do this.
One couple saw me looking underneath the MH and asked if I had a problem. "just looking for illegals" said I innocently. They backed away with a horrified look on their faces, I was obviously a nutter!

Our stowaway incident was 2 years ago and they still checked twice and didn't spot him.Considering what happened yesterday they are either super confident about some secret new method of checking or they simply haven't learned from experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back