(Francophiles)My wife wants...... (1 Viewer)

escapecommittee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
We are currently near Reims making our way back to Calais for the ferry next Tuesday.

MDW wants to stay close to a nice french village, a bistrot or two and a pleasant camp site on the way and I want a couple of days on a great beach not far from Calais.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thanks

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like a scene out of Allo Allo

french-waiter-allo-allo-cafe-1064889017.jpg

I vill say this only once - does such a place exist outside the imagination of a British tourist :cool: ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Not s
Sounds like a scene out of Allo Allo

french-waiter-allo-allo-cafe-1064889017.jpg

I vill say this only once - does such a place exist outside the imagination of a British tourist :cool: ?

Not so silly. On our way down we passed through a village called Nouvion!!!

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Try again. Not so silly. On our way down we passed through a village called Nouvion !!
Excellent
Didn't suggest it was silly - just asked do these places still exist... I remember a candlelit Saint Emilion many years ago - magical.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Yep, they do still exist.

The daughter ordered horse meat by accident in one of the small restaurants in Pont-Audemer. She thought her French better than anyone else's, so the missus and I thought better of pointing it out to her. She told us it was delicious and criticised us for being unadventurous for keeping to onion soup followed by bangers and mash.

Thankfully I photographed the menu and on our return, she received a copy by email along with a translation. By all accounts she really did turn green

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Excellent
Didn't suggest it was silly - just asked do these places still exist... I remember a candlelit Saint Emilion many years ago - magical.

They do exist, but doubt if René is still in Nouvion !

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Montreuil Sur mer should meet your bistro requirements and you can do a stroll around the remparts which surround it. Can't recommend a camp site but there is an aire just behind the town centre.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

The daughter ordered horse meat by accident in one of the small restaurants in Pont-Audemer. She thought her French better than anyone else's, so the missus and I thought better of pointing it out to her. She told us it was delicious and criticised us for being unadventurous for keeping to onion soup followed by bangers and mash.

Thankfully I photographed the menu and on our return, she received a copy by email along with a translation. By all accounts she really did turn green
Horse is the first thing I order when I get to France, I love it. I also love getting rabbit stew and duck which is hard to get in the UK outside of posh restaurants these days.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Ne
Does it taste like chicken?

Seriously , what does it taste like? There would be no point if it tasted just like steak.
I would like to try it but always imaged it being like cheap beef.[/QUOTE
You need to have it cooked in a thick sauce as I find it dry and uninteresting...now breast of duck different issue.sweet and succulent.. Rabbit , no thanks that's all we seemed to eat when I was a kid in the late 40s 50s ....Roy

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Montreuil Sur mer should meet your bistro requirements and you can do a stroll around the remparts which surround it. Can't recommend a camp site but there is an aire just behind the town centre.
The home of Les Miserables. We went to Montreuil sure Mer particularly to see Les Miserables. Went to the Aire, got tickets and thought what an amazing background. In a castle.
However, it's the annual play not the musical and, of course, all in French. It started about 9.00pm. We couldn't be ignorant and try to leave because we'd have had to walk through the 'stage'. Time getting on and we're freezing and as neither speaks French to that degree, bored to tears. So glad to get back to the moho. Fortunately I'd read most of Victor Hugo's novel so could patch together

Upvote 0

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990

Horse meat is good used to eat it a lot while driving HGV'S around France many years ago.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

escapecommittee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
Beginner
Thanks to those who realised what I was looking for and assisted. I was begining to think I was on the wrong forum.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Welcome. And you're not :)

On the horse meat side of things. it was more a matter of our daughter tucking in to something she would never consider, than personal distaste

On fact she had been critical of her mother tucking in to a side of Shergar only two days previously. Delicious irony.

As for myself, horsemeat was not my first choice, but there again, neither was the missus (ducks and hides)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back