Downloading TV and Films (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
What sites do people use for downloading films and TV programmes that are not time limited like iplayer?

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Most films and TV progs are downloadable a few are stream only

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If it is illegal, can you be tracked? By your IP address? Is this get round able. I've heard of things called VANS. Can someone explain how they work and how they are set up?

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you get arrested and taken to court for downloading a film or two while you are away on holiday in your van, please contact my people (via Fun) and they will pay your fine.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
VANS? Never heard of them...
...but VPN's yes

Yes you can be tracked, but will you be?
If you are "caught", the first instance most likely will be a warning from your Internet Provider... There are some companies employed by copyright holders who might try to scare/blackmail you into paying a penalty if caught to avoid court - but it's unlikely a downloader for personal use would ever be sued.
Unlikely but not impossible.

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network.
Simply all your internet traffic is routed through a third party, usually in another country, which makes you anonymous.
Disadvantages are cost, speed & what happens if the VPN drops out.
Also be careful your VPN doesn't keep logs.

A bit like Investment - depends on your attitude to risk.
In the past my provider has cut me off temporarily for repeated transgressions :whistle: but reconnected as soon as I promised not to do it again.
I now use BtGuard :cool:

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Topfield PVR, record any TV then transfer to hard drive or tablet.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Damned predictive text!
So you have to pay for VPNs. Wasn't thinking of downloading loads so probably risk getting my wrist slapped.
The proper ones, yes.
There are free ones but they tend to be a bit flaky - and come with their own issues, like Hola (but useful for conning iPlayer into believing you're in the UK)
You're probably ok - there is a risk, a very slight risk but I'd say not one to worry about unless you're completely risk adverse.

My main hassles with Kodi, Showbox etc is the flakiness of them - it can all be very hit'n'miss.
But it's all free - so I shouldn't moan :LOL:.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It is illegal to upload or to share copyrighted content under the terms of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988. Torrent sites employ P2P filesharing, which leaves a user vulnerable to detection through their IP address and subsequent prosecution

S20: Infringement by making available to the public "the making available to the public of the work by electronic transmission in such a way that members of the public may access it from a place and at a time individually chosen by them"

It is also illegal to market, produce, sell or even possess any device produced for the purpose of circumventing copyright protection measures. S296ZB
of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 refers

It is not illegal to download content from the internet or to possess such equipment for personal and domestic purposes.. As far as the user is concerned, this is what counts.

However, it is illegal for the site being used to provide content (streamed or on demand). It has been known for such sites to yield the IP addresses of users when raided. The possession of copyright infringing content (downloaded as opposed to streamed) has resulted in civil prosecutions in both the UK and overseas.

This government website will provide the answers: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/intellectual-property-crime-and-infringement

I use Slingbox and have other resources, so have no need for Kodi or other flaky services, thankfully.

(25 years in copyright law)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
My mate uses piratebay! Swears by it. Has downloaded for years ,, no dramas so far!!

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
No need to get hung up on legal worries if you download the occasional film to watch at home, I borrow DVD's now and again off mates to watch and I don't worry about that either.

The film companies and trading standards are after those who are profiteering from breaching copyright law in my view

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My mate uses piratebay! Swears by it. Has downloaded for years ,, no dramas so far!!

I wish it were that simple

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8003799.stm
A court in Sweden has jailed four men behind The Pirate Bay (TPB), the world's most high-profile file-sharing website, in a landmark case.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/who-will-take-the-fall-for-pirate-bay-piracy-case-heads-back-to-court/

If you copy other people's material from the internet without permission, you may be breaking the law. This is called copyright infringement.

http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/category/news/
Police pull the plug on illegal international TV streaming hub based in the UK

Chances are that occasional downloading will not result in any problems, but I'm unsure about the wisdom of posting such things in a public forum

As for who profits from the pursuit of counterfeit goods, need we ask the parents of those Chinese children , an estimated 300,000 victims in total, who were fed with milk and infant formula along with other food materials and components which were adulterated with melamine - six of whom died from kidney stones and other kidney damage together with an estimated 54,000 further babies being hospitalised. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

Worth looking here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwiw2tra2J7PAhVCGsAKHUqaARIQFgg6MAQ&url=http://www.a-cg.org/asset/dangers_of_fakes_13.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHVIe-g-hVU1p4VahEINwU9d3txGQ

It's not trading standards who are profiteering, but the sellers of dodgy medicines, the pirate websites making a fortune out of advertising carried on those sites, outfits like Fleabay who charge commissions on sales of products they know to be illegal, and so forth

And if we all stopped buying music and paying to watch films, helping ourselves instead, who is going to invest in the signing of new bands or the production of new films?

To be honest, I download a few films here and there, and music that I like, and I'm not having a go at anyone for doing so, but it's not something I would exactly wish to advertise to others and could cause problems for the site

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Aha - the old downloading films killing babies or financing terrorism defence :cool:.

If there was a reasonably priced subscription model which allowed subscribers to watch what they want, how they want, when they want, where they want - then that would pretty much kill piracy stone dead.
The iTunes/Spotify model has proved this - but the dinosaurs in Hollywood don't see this.

The entertainment industry is pretty unique in demanding its customers keep on paying for content they've already bought.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I 'm not so sure I would be so hasty in dismissing the hospitalisation and deaths of so many innocent children in that instance, which is a favourite strategy of those who profit from piracy.

I didn't say that I subscribe to the copyright argument in relation to films and broadcasts, just stated the facts relating to the law. Having been a major part of the team that successfully represented TVCatchup in an epic 4 year battle in the courts against the broadcasters, I am in complete agreement with all that you say regarding the avarice of the entertainment industry and the stupidity of the copyright system. But, hey, at least I make a fair living out of them :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
PaulB,

Sent you a private conversation message. A VPN can hide your IP address and offer some privacy at, say, £40 for paid, fast service.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We have bought the following usb dongle product. It is a far cry from streaming and film downloading but it can download any freeview program or film direct to our laptop. We can also use it to watch tv by plugging the aerial into the usb dongle. So it does what we need in a simplistic way without worrying about vpns and pirating. We just record programs to watch whilst on the move. Hope someone finds this Simple thing useful. Got ours from maplin

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulB
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
PaulB,

Sent you a private conversation message. A VPN can hide your IP address and offer some privacy at, say, £40 for paid, fast service.
Thanks for the private message which makes thinks clear. Sorry I could not see hoe to reply directly to it.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
In keeping with the views expressed already, why not just steal some dvds from HMV? To watch on a TV stolen from currys you keep in the motorhome you stole from a dealer, whilst on a site that you will leaving in the morning without paying for, using diesel you stole from a petrol station.

Be the ultimate freeloader.

Alternatively Netflix is £7 a month, currently streaming only but is moving to downloads.

iTunes/ android shop thingy, whilst pricey do have special offers, cheap rentals etc.

Amazon prime is about £100 a year which includes fast free delivery, file storage, photo storage and films and tv shows, they are downloadable but have time limits, the limits are reset when you go online though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulB
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Thanks @Jabberwocky If Netflix move to downloads I will be interested. Interestingly everyone assumed I was after something for nothing but my original post did not say I was after something free!

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
In keeping with the views expressed already, why not just steal some dvds from HMV? To watch on a TV stolen from currys you keep in the motorhome you stole from a dealer, whilst on a site that you will leaving in the morning without paying for, using diesel you stole from a petrol station.

Be the ultimate freeloader.

Alternatively Netflix is £7 a month, currently streaming only but is moving to downloads.

iTunes/ android shop thingy, whilst pricey do have special offers, cheap rentals etc.

Amazon prime is about £100 a year which includes fast free delivery, file storage, photo storage and films and tv shows, they are downloadable but have time limits, the limits are reset when you go online though.
Tell it the way it is, why don't you? (y)

Not that I disagree, if everyone stole instead of buying, then new content wouldn't be available. That's why the music charts are stock full of crap at the moment

But I'm not so addicted to the TV that I can't live without it in any case

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Another option - no stealing is involved - buy a HUMAX HDR2000T freeview box - and transfer recordings via USB to pc- convert to Mp4 on to a portable hard drive - and when on site connect this to your TV - very straight forward - we took the HD to Germany and France this summer and never used it - sitting in a chair looking at the sky is much better (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We have bought the following usb dongle product. It is a far cry from streaming and film downloading but it can download any freeview program or film direct to our laptop. We can also use it to watch tv by plugging the aerial into the usb dongle. So it does what we need in a simplistic way without worrying about vpns and pirating. We just record programs to watch whilst on the move. Hope someone finds this Simple thing useful. Got ours from maplin

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

just to add to this - our reasoning was that we didnt want to lug around a tv and freeview box, or sky and dish
so the dongle lets you use the tv on the laptop which i was taking anyway for wifi.

kills 2 birds and all that

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Topfield PVR, record any TV then transfer to hard drive or tablet.

Just come to grief here. Updated PVR and now they will not let you take the recorded program off the PVR due to new intellectual property protection.

However I found this cheap work-around.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/August-DV...615945?hash=item41844e9209:g:G~YAAOSwd4tTz7dE

This cheap receiver does allow you to record an unencrypted file on a USB stick. I believe this is perfectly legal for personal use. I prefer legal to stealing where possible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back