How often do you top up your batteries (1 Viewer)

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Hi,

I have a couple of banner batteries in a bank, however they seem to need topping up quiet regularly although I never really discharge the batteries and I thought discharge cycles was the main reason water in the cells would go down.

Any idea how often they should need topping up?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too have newish Banner batteries (about 1 year old now) and have asked the same question. I was advised to check them once a year and checked them after 6 months to find they did not need topping up at all. I will probably check again around Christmas time and top up if required.
Sounds to me your on top of it through.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our battery is checked during the habitation service and I usually check it around about half way between services.
It's a Banner which was on the van when we bought it in February 2012 so I don't know how old it is. It is kept topped up by the solar panel.
I normally just have to put a dribble of water in each cell.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
3 forktruck batteries on mine with a big Ctek keeping em in good condition. Check water at least three times a year and they usually take a drop but do get some serious abuse.;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
i check my trojans every three months and they do usually need a little bit

3 forktruck batteries on mine with a big Ctek keeping em in good condition. Check water at least three times a year and they usually take a drop but do get some serious abuse.;)

Similar routine here too with our Trojans (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cycling batteries shouldnt really have any bearing on electrolyte levels but overcharging at too high a voltage does.
14.4v is a safe bulk charge (bang volts in quickly) voltage, 13.6v safe absorption (final charge)voltage and 15v will start them gqssing and using electrolyte (overcharging)

If it regularly needs topping up, every month or so, either your batteries are faulty or your charger.

My last set gassed badly, took over 1ltr to top each one up (4 batteries) and an overnight charge.
Next day each showed 12.6v an hour after charger disconnected.
Two hours later, stood on the bench, each showed 7.5v
Nowt wrong with the charger but the batteries were totally knackered.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My batteries are under the seats and difficult to get at. What do they have, little screw plugs that undo ?
I`m not sure I`d be able to get in to visually check fluid level so what do others do ?
I believe the seats have to be removed to access batteries, they are ISRI ? seats

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My batteries are under the seats and difficult to get at. What do they have, little screw plugs that undo ?
I`m not sure I`d be able to get in to visually check fluid level so what do others do ?
I believe the seats have to be removed to access batteries, they are ISRI ? seats
Same here. ISRI seats weigh a tonne so I release the four screws then slide the seat forward until it topples onto the steering wheel. There's just enough room to remove the cell caps & if necessary top-up. Do disconnect the negative lead before topping up - there's not a lot of room to work.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
GEL batteries, never checked them 10 years old now and still OK, but no point checking as you can't.

Martin

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I thought all batteries nowadays were sealed. Oops, never checked mine.

Lucas jobbies. Tap water ok?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I thought all batteries nowadays were sealed. Oops, never checked mine.

Lucas jobbies. Tap water ok?
I wouldnT use tap water i Lanzarote in i would boil it first. Too many minerals in the water in the Canaries

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I wouldnT use tap water i Lanzarote in i would boil it first. Too many minerals in the water in the Canaries
Surely boiling doesn't get rid of minerals?

Probably better to use bottled water ?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Distilled water? Just defrost your freezer, break off a few bits of ice from the inside for pure H2O (be sure to remove any peas)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Surely boiling doesn't get rid of minerals?

Probably better to use bottled water ?

They stick to the side of your kettle just like back home in hard water areas.

Here in Scotland we can use it straight from the tap as it is a soft water here.
(Learned on a training course for battery powered scissor lifts.)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

Here in Scotland we can use it straight from the tap as it is a soft water here.
Did the same when in Bradford :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Same with mine, "Sealed for life". Just a little window which shows the level of charge by changing colour!.

Pete

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have Sealed AGM Banner batteries don't need checking worked fine for last 15 months.(y)(y)(y)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Bank of Trojans set to charge at the correct level, 14.8v
I check them every couple of months, I have the Trojan Hydrolink system installed, drop one end of the fill tube into distilled water ( which is cheap as chips, why risk contaminants getting into the batteries! ) connect the other end to the one way fill valve that feeds up to each battery, pump for a few seconds and each individual cell has a float cap that shuts of the fill of water when at the correct level. Sorted (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Same here in Mansfield Notts supper soft water a Huge Japanese textile company selected Mansfield for its new factory based on its soft water
BUT I own a Garage so have to buy the proper stuff,:Eeek: or be accused of bodging it:doh:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When Bradford was one of the world's biggest wool cities, they built reservoirs up in Yorkshire Dales to get soft water for washing the wool.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
always buy batteries with removable caps have your electrolyte checked regularly top up when necessary with distilled water
leave your lights on from time to time to discharge the battery charge with a good charger with a recondition recovery mode this will reduce the sulfate or eliminate it
this will help to clear the sulfate from the battery plates and put the sulfate back into solution turn it back into sulfuric acid
how do i know this just come off a one week flooded lead acid battery maintenance course covering soler forklifts and automotive
bill

Reactions: GJH

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
So..is it a good idea to flatten your battery now and again...every time I've had a really flat batt. its never recovered !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So..is it a good idea to flatten your battery now and again...every time I've had a really flat batt. its never recovered !
Flat would be 12 or 12.2 volts, and less and you run the risk of damage.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back