Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I thought I'd start a thread about Cycling as a Hobby. There are various cycling questions in Hobbies but it seemed a strange omission, given that Motorhoming gives you such great access to quiet country-lane cycling, that there isn't a separate thread. (There's a separate thread for the reading of Obituaries but not one for cycling!)

I thought it should be separate to E-Bikes because the technicalities of E-Bikes seems to have it's own thread elsewhere and I think Cycling as a Hobby is much more than a stream of technical questions.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's a group:

Admittedly there isn't much activity in it but it is there (y)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
So, for my own part, I'm a keen cyclist and I'm looking forward to Humberto giving me access to some amazing French roads next year.

I would like to park up at Le Bourg d'Osisans next year and attempt some of the epic Tour de France climbs that start close by (at my own leisurely pace of course).

My favourite type of cycling is Camping and "Credit Card Touring" (No tent, just cycle between nice towns and wave your credit card at a Hotel Receptionist when you've had enough for the day).

I mean this sort of thing..
IMG_8925.JPG

I have a history of long-distance but seem to have gravitated into social cycling to pubs with friends lately.

Motorhoming, as well as giving you the opportunity to cycle, also seems to replace cycling with other activities .... such as sitting outside your Motorhome with a Beer.

That will change once i get a couple of bikes sorted for the Bike rack.

Anyway, I have enough experience of cycling on regular roads (5,000 miles a year or so) to provide reasonable advice if you want it (Lights, clothing, accessories..etc) and ties with some Hampshire clubs (Social mainly) if you want to join in for a Beer and a ride.

Go Humberto !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
There's a group:

Admittedly there isn't much activity in it but it is there (y)

There are already more posts in this Hobbies thread than in the Cycling group. Hobbies seems a more natural home for it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whatever makes you happy but unless you keep bumping it, which tends to irritate people, a single thread will soon disappear. The groups, all 24 of them, are always in the same easy to find place and also only people who are interested in the subject and choose to join the group will see the posts.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've cycled the Camino Frances, Via de la Plata and Camino del Cid in Spain. Currently in the Mosel in Germany and long distance cycling possibilities are endless.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I understand your thoughts on separating cycling from e-bikes. An awful lot of Motorhomers go with simple bikes which aid motor-homing in one way or another.
On the other hand there are lots of us who are keen leisure cyclists who as we get older find e-bikes can extend our range or (as in my case) gets us up hills without cardiac arrest.
I still see myself as a leisure/ hobby cyclist. But now I use an e-bike

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
We've cycled the Camino Frances, Via de la Plata and Camino del Cid in Spain. Currently in the Mosel in Germany and long distance cycling possibilities are endless.
Any photos? Sounds amazing.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Just had a thought. There are sections on the Camino Frances (but not many photos) and the Plata in my blog below in my signature.

I've posted the Via de la Plata link here.

http://sierraespunahappenings.blogspot.co.uk/p/via-de-la-plata.html
Some serious Trail-riding going on there. Very impressed.

I haven't sat on a Mountain bike since waking up in a hedge with broken ribs and collar-bone.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Loch Leven, is nice for a 13 mile off road cycle round the lake. Hard to find reasonably level off road cycle routes that my other half doesn't find to challenging. Currently parked on the car park (overnight) at Kinross with five other motorhomes.

Anyone with other motorhome, cycling ideas appreciated.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My nearly completed man cave
Tacx Fortius ready to go apart from the need of a new analogue HR transmitter strap then I can re start a training regime
My Brompton should arrive this week

IMG_9358.JPG

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
My nearly completed man cave
Tacx Fortius ready to go apart from the need of a new analogue HR transmitter strap then I can re start a training regime
My Brompton should arrive this week

View attachment 125062
I have a similar man-cave..with similar wall-hangings.

I have also spent many an hour watching "Sufferfest" whilst simultaneously freezing and sweating in a cold garage, on the Turbo.

I go to Wattbike classes now though, at my local bike shop. I find I can push much harder when there's some peer-pressure (and everyone's numbers are on display on a large TV).

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We like to cycle a bit, but haven't done much for a while. Hoping to change that soon, and when we get the moho, plan to take the old MB's and tow the dog behind us.

Humberto, I'll be seriously impressed if you're planning to cycle up to Col du Lauteret and Galibier with all that luggage.

At 58 & 59 we consider ourselves to young for e-bikes, especially as a couple of our friends recently represented Team GB in the Euro Triathlon Championships in Austria a couple of weeks ago, both in the 60/64 age group. One of them winning a silver medal for her efforts! They both go up an age group next year and plan to keep going. If we bought e-bikes we'd be laughed out of the Turbo Cave. However, I can see they have their uses for anyone who might have health or injury issues.

Andy

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I too am a keen cyclist although nowhere near as active as I used to be. It's over 20 years since I last took part in a competitive event, which was a 12 hour time trial. I celebrated my 60th a couple of years ago by cycling up Mt Ventoux to pay my respects to my boyhood hero Tom Simpson. Nowadays my riding is mainly pottering about on gentle trails and quiet backroads, usually accompanied by my wife.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
We like to cycle a bit, but haven't done much for a while. Hoping to change that soon, and when we get the moho, plan to take the old MB's and tow the dog behind us.

Humberto, I'll be seriously impressed if you're planning to cycle up to Col du Lauteret and Galibier with all that luggage.

At 58 & 59 we consider ourselves to young for e-bikes, especially as a couple of our friends recently represented Team GB in the Euro Triathlon Championships in Austria a couple of weeks ago, both in the 60/64 age group. One of them winning a silver medal for her efforts! They both go up an age group next year and plan to keep going. If we bought e-bikes we'd be laughed out of the Turbo Cave. However, I can see they have their uses for anyone who might have health or injury issues.

Andy

I'd love to ride the Brompton up some of those iconic climbs but, in reality, I'll be taking some Carbon-fibre as well....
Domane 1920x1280.jpg

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Next year hopefully.

Loving that gear ratio Paul. Did you get to the point where you pushed the shifter again...just in case there was another gear in there?

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Me and the missus are just back from 4 weeks cycling in the Mount Ventoux
Area, 30-34c so out before 09.00 and back by 14.00

Great cycling and would recommend the area to anyone who likes sun, mountains, wine, the French, food, a mix of nationalities - the list goes on!

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Couldn't agree more. We spent 4 weeks in Provence in May including up Mount Ventoux but with a difference, on a Tandem. Absolutely brilliant. Another cracking climb is Mount Du Lure - we stayed in Sisteron for that - good municipal site there.

Next trip in April next year, planning to visit the Pyrenees and hopefully then cycle round the Sella Ronda when they close it for the day.

http://www.sellarondabikeday.com/en/news.html

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Blimey, seriously out of my league, The hardest climb I've done is up The Struggle to Kirkstone Pass.

Nice shots. I only use my road bike locally or in the turbo cave. I'd be worried that some scumbag might nick it if it's on a Moho bike rack. With our clapped out old mountain bikes I wouldn't bo so bothered, it'd give us an excuse to get new ones.

A bit out of my league here, where's the swimming thread?!!!.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back