Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Several years
Hi this will be our first trip to spain we will be driving through france to benidorm if we stop on camp sites do we have to pay by camping cheques if so where do we buy them from thanks

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
No you dont, in fact only some sites take them. We got a few when we booked a trip through the CaravanClub, still have a couple left as didn't go many sites that accepted them. They only last for a limited time so hoping to use them on this trip. Don't know a lot more about them but do know CC sell them.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They should re name that website

We-searched-for-sites-then-stole-some data-from-other-people's-websites .con

Forward slash - but sadly somebody stole all our members personal data

#mardy-or-what
Still getting to you int it, ;), good though we have used it this last couple of weeks.
And notice I didn't mention it till someone mentioned campercontact (y):)
I have put a few more reviews on it this week so racking up the points now:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm quite surprised that searchforsites is still running.

I would have thought that one of the many organisations whose databases he has blatantly stolen would have taken action by now.

I never use it on principle so no idea if he's had the decency to even credit the people whose work he's ripping off yet.

Back to the OP, there really isn't any need to use campsites in France unless you desperately want to. We never use them.

I'd go for the paid for version of Camper Contact in preference to Some of the Aires.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Still getting to you int it, ;), good though we have used it this last couple of weeks.
And notice I didn't mention it till someone mentioned campercontact (y):)
I have put a few more reviews on it this week so racking up the points now:)

NO!!!!!
It's not getting to me
It's just that I've been sucking on a lemon - just sayin !

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agree about alltheaires only being some of them but for someone new to Aires it's a good solid start that you can read up on where you are going before you go.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi this will be our first trip to spain we will be driving through france to benidorm if we stop on camp sites do we have to pay by camping cheques if so where do we buy them from thanks
Never used camping cheques. I generally pay in cash but have used a debit card a few times. I think you should be OK using a card but you might find your bank charges a fee. This is why I normally use cash drawn from an atm, where if there is a fee it is just one per withdrawal.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think you should be OK using a card but you might find your bank charges a fee. This is why I normally use cash drawn from an atm, where if there is a fee it is just one per withdrawal.

Use a currency card - Revolut, Caxton etc - for ATM withdrawals and you don't pay any fees and generally get a better exchange rate as well. For purchases there are plenty of no fee credit cards available. Halifax Clarity is one but there are plenty of others.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They should re name that website

We-searched-for-sites-then-stole-some data-from-other-people's-websites .con

Forward slash - but sadly somebody stole all our members personal data

#mardy-or-what
A question for you Robert , if he gets all his sites recommended by someone , say like me or you, quite independent, of alltheaires or campercontact, or France passion or whoever, does that still make it stolen from other sites, don't see it myself.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A question for you Robert , if he gets all his sites recommended by someone , say like me or you, quite independent, of alltheaires or campercontact, or France passion or whoever, does that still make it stolen from other sites, don't see it myself.
Most certainly not stolen, in my humble opinion.
It's been added organically by the members / users, one place at a time.
However scraping the database of another website and uploading it is theft.
Quite different - wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Camping Cheques are in my Opinion a bit dated....discount out of season ACSI sites or low cost/free Aires are all thats needed for most visits into Europe.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We sometimes get "camping cheques" as part of a deal when we book the Ferry with Caravan Club, they give us the cheques for nothing and the price comes down as well so we dont argue, and yes we do try to use them.

BUT the number of sites that take them are getting less and less as apparently ACSI are getting a bit heavy handed and telling sites that if they accept camping cheques they will pull out, ACSI usually win.

ACSI is yet another book and discount card to carry around but if you stay on a camp site for a few days you can soon get your money back. If we didn't get "camping cheques" for free we wouldn't buy them that's for sure but we would buy the ACSI book.

Yes aires are great but sometimes we want to stop longer than a couple of nights and do some washing or go out cycling or whatever and we prefer to camp up on a camp site.

Martin

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Waste of money:cautious:

No they are not,,,excellent sites,,only 16 euros a night. Always buy a few when euro exchange rate is agreeable ( £12 50 each last year) from their French site . It feels like a free night when we use them,,,,BUSBY,,,

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Agree with those who say that Camping Cheques are rapidly being replaced by ACSI.

Perhaps another reason for this, as well as @funflair explanation was given to us by one site owner who had switched.

With ACSI the site owner gets paid immediately by the Camper, albeit at a discount rate. Camping Cheques pay the site owners twice a year, at the end of the "early" low season and at the end of the "late" low season. So, for April, May and June the site must provide facilities but doesn't get paid until July, and for September and October they get paid in November.

You can understand them making the switch.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agree with those who say that Camping Cheques are rapidly being replaced by ACSI.

Perhaps another reason for this, as well as @funflair explanation was given to us by one site owner who had switched.

With ACSI the site owner gets paid immediately by the Camper, albeit at a discount rate. Camping Cheques pay the site owners twice a year, at the end of the "early" low season and at the end of the "late" low season. So, for April, May and June the site must provide facilities but doesn't get paid until July, and for September and October they get paid in November.

You can understand them making the switch.

Very true,,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have used Camping Cheques from time to time; in addition to the ACSI discount scheme - which I agree, offers more choice and flexibility.

You can buy the cheques online: http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/

We just carry the 'Silver' card, and if you see somewhere you want to stay accepts Camping Cheques, you can just purchase the requisite number. The only downside to that approach is that there's a small admin charge for each purchase ie same flat rate whether you buy one cheque, ten or even 20!

As already mentioned by another poster, you can if you prefer pay for them in Euro and buy them from the French site: But the savings aren't so significant now the exchange rate has deteriorated.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back