dvla ? help (1 Viewer)

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
can any one tell me the recomendation for getting my new conversion changed on the log books to motorhome ?? av done a conversion before and had that changed to motorhome no problems but that had side windows ? but my new van that i am converting is not gettn any side windows but has got to big roof vents ? duz it av to hav windows to be classed as a motorhome ? thanks keith:Doh:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Not 100% sure but I believe converted commercial vans not only have to conform to a standard, but also have to be examined before the body type on the V5 can be re-classified to "Motor Caravan".

Best bet is to contact your nearest DVLA centre and speak to them.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[FONT=&quot]Visit your local DVLA office the counter staff are very helpful and have all the relevant forms and information. You can Google the address of your local office. I'm no expert but can you change the reg status?. I have just had mind changed to motorhome but that was because it was incorrectly registered by VWat berth. I think the criteria were that the van had to be a motorhome before its first registration. Some vw conversions had to prove that they were converted before registration i.e. Bilbo, but as said I am no expert. Good luck anyway.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Buttons[/FONT]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
can any one tell me the recomendation for getting my new conversion changed on the log books to motorhome ?? av done a conversion before and had that changed to motorhome no problems but that had side windows ? but my new van that i am converting is not gettn any side windows but has got to big roof vents ? duz it av to hav windows to be classed as a motorhome ? thanks keith:Doh:

Hi Keith .. no need for windows ..

DVLA Requirements :

"Motor caravan" means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

* seats and table,
* sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
* cooking facilities, and
* storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

The interpretation applied to this definition is as follows

Seats and a Table

* Are required to be an integral part of the living accommodation area, and mounted independently of other items.
* The table must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.
* The table mounting arrangement must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded), although the table may be detachable.
* Permanently secured seating must be available for use at the table.
* The seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall.
* The seats must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted riveted, screwed or welded).

Sleeping Accommodation

* Must be an integral part of the living accommodation area.
* Either beds or a bed converted from seats (to form a mattress base)
* Secured as a permanent feature, with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, (unless the sleeping accommodation is provided as a provision over the driver’s cab compartment.

Cooking Facilities

* That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.
* That are secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall.
* Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.
* The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source.
* If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure.
* If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.

Storage Facilities

* Storage facilities must be provided by a cupboard or locker.
* The facility must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, ie mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooking facility.
* The storage facility must be a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).
* The storage facility must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, unless a storage provision is provided over the driver’s cab compartment.

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I did a conversion in 2007 & all I had to do was to send photo's showing that it was a converted van & not just a van with a matressshoved in. On at least one of the photos it had to show the reg. number. I did query them about a bed being 6 foot as mine was just short at 5 foot 10 inches but this wasn't a problem. You will probably have to provide similar information to the insurance. I can't remember about windows but I thought either the DVLA or insurance insisted there should be at least one side window in the living area.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A useful link

Link Removed

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim has covered most of the requirements :thumb: the only other bit is the gas locker must be metal lined.You can fill in the v5 change of use to motor caravan with pics described by Kon tiki and they may send out a new v5 or ask you to take it to the dvla testing station.Each station has its own little quirks on the requirements but at the end of the day if they ask you to change / add anything they are usually very helpful.
terry
PS ANY PICS OF YOUR CONVERSION ? WE LIKE PICS :ROFLMAO:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
When i used to build my own trikes all i did was photgraph what had been done[as mentioned] during the build ,photograph the vin and engine number,and sent the form in ,sometimes if they take took long as i had had it mot/taxed and insured it ,i would book an appointment at the local DVLA and took it to them ,only ever one prob i had was i never thought much of it ,the vin and engine number finished one number after each other,so there alarm bells started ringing ,they came saw it ,and remarked it was unusal to find numbers like that,7 days later new log book:thumb: all this was just for change of wheel plan: so :
Photograph it during build[not loads of them]
and any Receipts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back