Fiat base vehicle option - self levelling suspension (1 Viewer)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
looking at speccing up our new base van for conversion. In the Fiat catalogue there is an option for self levelling rear suspension, cost £1500. Does anyone have any experience of this particular system ( as opposed to other systems) or if it is bought in kit? Looks attractive as it can be raised/lowered when parked.
Thanks
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As I understandit, the upgrade is just airbags and a compressor. The bags are linked to give side to side leveling. Same system as costs £400 fit it yourself or £500 fitted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would have thought, as its on the Fiat website, it would be a fore and aft levelling system for commercial vans to counteract uneven load pushing the rear end down.

Volvo have a factory option on their V70 estate cars for load leveling .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's more than just self-levelling, you can raise and lower the rear end. Scroll down on this page for a description. http://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/Models/Ducato_Goods_Transport/Load_capacity

If it's not too expensive it would be a useful extra, good for rough ground and getting onto some ferries - but very much down to the design of the MH to make the most of it. Best on vehicles with a long rear overhang I think.

Might be useful for pitching on a slope but only if it holds position when the engine is turned off, which hopefully it does. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Looks to be rear air bags with a compressor.... Not much for all that money..
I have done the same for £269 off ebay and use my foot pump (y)

"Self-Levelling Rear Air Suspension

The Fiat Ducato's optional self-levelling rear suspension ensures constant vehicle attitude and exceptional ride comfort under all load conditions. The system allows the rear load threshold to be reduced by up to 70 mm to facilitate loadspace access, or raising of the rear of the vehicle to improve both ramp angle and ground clearance.

The load threshold level is lower than that of the conventional suspension system, and may be lowered still further via dashboard mounted switches. A choice of 11 threshold heights are available, 5 above and 5 below a central, default setting. Once adjusted, the height remains set up to a vehicle speed of 9 mph, whereupon the system automatically reverts to the default, driving height setting. For safety reasons, vehicle attitude may be adjusted only with the vehicle at a standstill, whilst the switches remain active with the engine off."

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's more than just self-levelling, you can raise and lower the rear end. Scroll down on this page for a description. http://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/Models/Ducato_Goods_Transport/Load_capacity

If it's not too expensive it would be a useful extra, good for rough ground and getting onto some ferries - but very much down to the design of the MH to make the most of it. Best on vehicles with a long rear overhang I think.

Might be useful for pitching on a slope but only if it holds position when the engine is turned off, which hopefully it does. :)

VB suspension have just developed "active dampers" to go with their air suspension, one of the features is a "lockout mode" to give stability once the 4 channel air has done the levelling, this might be for the IVECO chassis initially but I am sure it will trickle down. My understanding is that it was developed in conjunction with Morelo so they have the sole rights to fit it OE for one year.

Martin

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Tonka, is your reading that "whilst switches remain active with the engine off" that this would allow, as DBK suggests, an element of levelling on an uneven pitch.
The van will be an 6.36m plated at 4.2t with 2 electric bikes on back. Looking for improved road comfort and if possible a bit of help on pitching.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
VB suspension have just developed "active dampers" to go with their air suspension, one of the features is a "lockout mode" to give stability once the 4 channel air has done the levelling, this might be for the IVECO chassis initially but I am sure it will trickle down. My understanding is that it was developed in conjunction with Morelo so they have the sole rights to fit it OE for one year.

Martin
That's interesting Martin, where did you get the information?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That's very interesting I had active air on my RV and it was streets ahead of the VB I have on the Flair. I will be following this through, I will also like to understand how they manage the huge air requirements. I had air brakes on the rv and there were 5 tanks to manage the overall requirements. However you could swerve the 20 tons at speed like it was a mini!
Thanks for the heads up.
Michael

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When did you last drive your Flair like that Michael.

Martin
Ha Ha
They use the same manoeuvres in HWH (Yankee) active air presentation. However as you would guess it takes some balls to drive ones own like it!
Michael

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back