Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
When we get down to Benidorm in October to spend the Winter we're going to be hiring a car for most if not some of the time. I can't remember who...but someone told us that it's best to take out the insurance on-line before going?

Anyone help me with this or any other tips concerning longer term car hire please. (y)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Try Moneysupermarket . com costs about £40 for a year. Make sure you take photos all round the car and windscreen when collecting and dropping off the car. Sometimes you might be offered a free extra driver see if you can find somebody to share with onsite it can halve the cost.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Only problem is if you take out separate insurance if there is a claim you need to pay the hire company then try and claim back from your insurance so we always look at the hire co. insurance and choose one with a reasonable cost for their own its more expensive but less potential hassle. A lot also try to do you on the fuel some charge a lot just to check you bought it back full!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
all car hire companies hold at least 1200 euros as a deposit regardless of the insurance being theirs or third party any damage to the vehicle and they will not return it untill insurance has paid out even if the insurance was sold to you by them

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Could be wrong but I think its more like 500 if you take their insurance and they don't look so hard to find small "defects" when you retrurn the car. But they are all sharks!!!. In Teneriffe we found a local co. with good web reviews they rent out cars a few years old cheaper do the job and no dodgy practices might find one like that in mainland spain. Why not look at a few expats forums to see if there are any reviews

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
all car hire companies hold at least 1200 euros as a deposit regardless of the insurance being theirs or third party any damage to the vehicle and they will not return it untill insurance has paid out even if the insurance was sold to you by them

That's interesting, thanks. Can't quote exactly but some folk last year were getting absurdly low prices on car hire deals from Alicante airport like 20 euro a month! When you say hold 1200 euro, do you mean they scan a card so they can take it if required?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I always use Sixt they do a zero access with no hassle I used them in Spain last week fuel full to full and nothing went from my credit card apart from the original fee. You would have to check for longer rentals.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I always use Sixt they do a zero access with no hassle I used them in Spain last week fuel full to full and nothing went from my credit card apart from the original fee. You would have to check for longer rentals.

We don't have credit cards just debit...is that likely to be a problem?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We don't have credit cards just debit...is that likely to be a problem?
Not sure Dave I paid on line with my credit card and had to show the same card at pick up. I know they don't take debit in the US but take a look on line.

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
doyouspain.com for rental, they are a 'bucket shop' in the rental scene. lowest I've paid is 1€ a day!!! plus a tank of fuel around 75€ and leave it empty which shouldn't be a problem for a month. At the rental desk they do scan your card for the excess but it doesn't show on your card and think they use the info should there be a claim. if you take out the full insurance at the desk it's about 9€ a day but when you return the car there's no problem on damage, you can just drop the keys back and no need to get it checked in. We used for the excess insurance but i'm not sure if there is a rental time limit so 'rent for the winter' might not be covered. although we use it about 4 or 5 times a year for 2 weeks at a time and was around £40 the last time we renewed.

Not had to test any of the claims for car hire or excess ins as Ive never needed to... but it does give you peace of mind.

At the rental desk they'll give you an exploded view for the car with all the panels damage marked with a 'x' which means that panel is covered for any more damage.... just go round the car with a fine eye and let them know before you drive off if theres something thats not marked.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Had to claim on the 3rd party insurance for a windscreen . Yes it was taken from my credit card and i claimed it back when i got home . I made the mistake of dropping the keys at the desk without getting the vehicle checked over as there was just one girl and a big queue , they had photos of a cracked windscreen could have been any car but you live and learn thats why i now take photos. What i would suggest is you do not turn up at a busy time for rental and dropoff. They will require a credit card imprint prior to rental .

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We took a recommendation from Martin money saving expert and we always have an annual car hire excess insurance, costs £30-40 pounds for the year. Ours is carhireexcess.com I think but there are several.
In our experience some unscrupulous car hire firms in spain try and tell you they are worthless. Also you have to pay a big deposit if you don't take their overpriced CDW. But stand firm. "Martin" is right !

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#insurancetrick

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Its a bit of a minefield I agree, some companies allow 28 days max take it back and get another.....buy annual excess insurance in the UK.
80€ a week from Alicante Airport is common, more from off site locations, some of the cars have had a bit of a bad life, so these companies are not so fussy with further small dents.
For piece of mind, but with higher costs go for the bigger companies....read the small print before signing.
It may be worth reading reviews on the company you decide to go with...I do, its quite interesting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back