LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi..I know a little, in fact know most of the basics......but my Oyster is causing me a few problems these last few days....It's not finding any SATs...no trees etc clear view, show on control panel LNB failure...so off I go and bought and fitted another...no difference...just keeps spinning. Who's going to get a Gold Star and tell me what the problem could be. Please.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but.Have you tried rebooting it switch off all the power and leave a few mins then start again?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Probably not locked on to astra 28.2 in the same way as yours but:I have a teleco magicsat which locked on fine as far as tarragona way.on site now at java it refused to lock onto 28.2 and locked onto 19.Took me sometime but on this system you have to go into a separate menu and input 4 or sets of frequencies with European footprints as opposed to UK. Now getting all sky plus itv ch5 and a few more free view channels

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My system...bless it...works well all over Europe, when I cannot pull in Astra 2 I can switch to Astra 1...but now nothing just showing LNB failure.....living in Spain I know the facts what you can or cannot get...but we are in Central France...so everything should be there.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Try a hard reboot by pulling the supply fuse out for 60 seconds. That is presuming you don't have a loose coax cable

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Try a hard reboot by pulling the supply fuse out for 60 seconds. That is presuming you don't have a loose coax cable
Tried that...thanks for your help.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Try another length of coax up through skylight to rule out cable failure. Otherwise it may be the lnb power circuit inside the box. This supplies 12v ti 18v via the coax to power the lnb

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Maybe you could test the continuity of the coax cable by removing the coax F-plug from the brain box. Then remove the LNB and short out the middle wire to the earth surround. Test continuity at the F-plug end.

I guess with all the twisting and turning, the coax cable is vulnerable to failure, over time, especially at the base of the dish.

If all else fails, contact Anthony Read at anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk . He helped me when I had problems in Spain, although you won't get a reply till next Monday at the earliest.

PS. First check the integrity of the coax connection with the new LNB. A small strand of braided earth wire connecting with the main middle wire can dramatically reduce signal strength, I understand.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks guys...got lots to think about and try over the weekend, still open to more suggestions. One thing that happened last week was the power cable to the Sat receiver was not fully connected....the dish turned and turned until I found it...I then pushed home the plug and the dish found Astra 2 and I had constant viewing all weekend,also on this rare occasion I was on hook up.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. LNB failure could be something as simple as a cable failure ( simple but a pain in the bum ) or it could be a lack of voltage being fed to the LNB
Get the dish up and stop it.
Up on the roof with a meter and unscrew the cable from said LNB
Check ( careful not to short out the inner and outer ) for voltage.. Canna remember exactly what it will be ( something like 13v for horizontal and 15v for vertical ) but you are really only looking to make sure you have something up there..
If you aint, then make up a short lead and check the output directly from the controller.. If its there then cable fault
If it aint, put test lead on to output from sky box and try again
If still nowt then the sky box is banjaxed ( they have a couple of tiny fuses in them so good chance it it just a fuse on the LNB power up circuit )

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
OK.. LNB failure could be something as simple as a cable failure ( simple but a pain in the bum ) or it could be a lack of voltage being fed to the LNB
Get the dish up and stop it.
Up on the roof with a meter and unscrew the cable from said LNB
Check ( careful not to short out the inner and outer ) for voltage.. Canna remember exactly what it will be ( something like 13v for horizontal and 15v for vertical ) but you are really only looking to make sure you have something up there..
If you aint, then make up a short lead and check the output directly from the controller.. If its there then cable fault
If it aint, put test lead on to output from sky box and try again
If still nowt then the sky box is banjaxed ( they have a couple of tiny fuses in them so good chance it it just a fuse on the LNB power up circuit )
Thanks Jaws...this had me head scratching for a while....but finally cracked it...I went through the procedure you suggested and others.....finally it was cured by replacing the Sat receiver, this piece of kit failed various functions....now up and running again. Thanks for your info...great help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back