LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I've seen several threads about TV signals, how to find them, where to avoid parking etc. but I wondered if there was anything available that helps choose the best location to park for mobile phone reception?

I know that EE publish a map so that I can choose a UK site that at least has some reception, but once I got there I wondered if there's any way of quickly finding a good pitch that has reception. Obviously most phones have a meter of sorts as they display the number of 'bars' of reception available, I was thinking more of a meter with a needle that would help indicate the direction of the mast - to make sure for example that the arrival of a next door neighbour wouldn't block the signal.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There are apps for you phone that do just that
But none that can prevent a neighbours interference

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
There are apps for you phone that do just that
But none that can prevent a neighbours interference

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of an app - only a hand held device. If there is a directional one then it should be possible to park on the edge of the site that's towards the mast so that no one can park in-between.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought all phones showed the signal strength in bars at the top of the screen!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just walk around until you get the best signal on the bars? The problem about a meter is it would need to know what network you are on as the signal from another provider could be much stronger than your one. You can get meters and I found an ad for one - it was $2000. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oooooooooh could we get em down to $1995 with a bulk FUN order

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Be cheaper to pay the man next door to move

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I thought all phones showed the signal strength in bars at the top of the screen!

Admit it, you only read the title, didn't you ;)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Here's an app - but this one is Android only. No idea how useful it is though and the reviews are somewhat mixed! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.telnet&hl=en_GB

Thanks for that, I've just installed it and am down in deepest darkest Wales later so I'll let you know how it goes. First impressions are good, it draws a line on a map directly to the mast you're attached to which looks like just what I might have hoped for :) (y)

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The whole bars thing is largely a nonsense anyway - interested tech heads can read about it here - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-do-the-bars-on-your-smartphone-mean-we-asked-an-expert

I've found a difference of two 'bars' on my iphone between the kitchen and the lounge and I don't exactly live in Downton Abbey..
:)

Thanks for that, an interesting article. Your bar changes are probably easily explained by you putting more roof/walls/equipment between you and the mast you are connected to. Most people find one or other side of their house has better reception.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've seen several threads about TV signals, how to find them, where to avoid parking etc. but I wondered if there was anything available that helps choose the best location to park for mobile phone reception?

I know that EE publish a map so that I can choose a UK site that at least has some reception, but once I got there I wondered if there's any way of quickly finding a good pitch that has reception. Obviously most phones have a meter of sorts as they display the number of 'bars' of reception available, I was thinking more of a meter with a needle that would help indicate the direction of the mast - to make sure for example that the arrival of a next door neighbour wouldn't block the signal.

I find this handy. It is not 100% up to date but I have found it to be incredibly useful.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The whole bars thing is largely a nonsense anyway - interested tech heads can read about it here - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-do-the-bars-on-your-smartphone-mean-we-asked-an-expert

I've found a difference of two 'bars' on my iphone between the kitchen and the lounge and I don't exactly live in Downton Abbey..
:)
I think "nonsense" is a bit of an exaggeration. :) The article says the bars "almost always" show how strong the signal is. One problem is it is a dynamic thing and it can change once a call is being made but in my experience any change is usually for the better.
I use the bar indicator all the time in our house as there are plenty of places where I get zero signal. There are also places where it usually shows no bars but after a few moments it seems to find a signal.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I think "nonsense" is a bit of an exaggeration. :) The article says the bars "almost always" show how strong the signal is.

Agreed, but it also illustrates that the hardware manufacturer determines what to show in response to signal. It's fair to say they will err on the side of optimism to convince punters to stay with their devices.

For example, my iPhone (with Vodafone..)at the moment is showing 4 bars. The wifes Galaxy (also on Vodafone ..) is sitting 6 feet away and is showing 5 bars....oh well, the debate continues

:cautious:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
You can get an iphone to show signal strength in decibels rather than "bars" by typing a series of numbers etc in a specific order. http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/11/how-to-check-the-actual-signal-strength-on-iphone.html (take note of the information about how to read the numeric display (lower is better etc.))

In real use, though, it's no more useful on a day-to-day basis than having the bars showing instead.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The so called "signal strength meter" and the battery life indicator on the iPhones are notoriously useless, generally software biased to make the phone appear to be more sensitive that they are in the case of the former, and having a greater endurance in the case of the latter

They are just software driven indicators, not scientific measuring instruments. Any radio "ham" will tell you about signal strength meters if you ask them, and you can keep your eyes open long enough to hear the explanation

The Ofcom site referred to by Grommett earlier is the best source of information.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Here's an app - but this one is Android only. No idea how useful it is though and the reviews are somewhat mixed! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.telnet&hl=en_GB

Well safely back from deepest, darkest Pembrey ;)

I tried the app before I set off and was quite impressed, I didn't know where my local mast was, but now I know which corner of the house to head for if I need the best signal. Pembrey however was a bit different, on arrival I couldn't get a lock on my location never mind the nearest mast. I tried it again on day two and things had improved ... a little. It now found me on the Pembrey Circuit, but for some reason the signal was arriving over the sea! I zoomed out to get a better idea and realised that the signal was coming in from the direction of FRANCE - no wonder the signal was a bit week. I finally pinned down the mast I was using to HERE

Screenshot_2016-09-17-08-46-51_zpsxbdrlofx.png

NORTH AFRICA!!

I did manage to get a proper reading later, but I liked this one best :)

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
I use OpenSignal on our iPhones, also available for Android.

With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.

✓ Signal compass points you in the direction your signal is coming from
✓ Speed test for download, upload and latency
✓ Map and radar view of cell towers and Wifi routers
✓ Coverage maps allow you see the best/worst places for 2G, 3G and 4G
✓ See local cell towers
✓ Free and ad-free

https://opensignal.com

Clive

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I use OpenSignal on our iPhones, also available for Android.

With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.

✓ Signal compass points you in the direction your signal is coming from
✓ Speed test for download, upload and latency
✓ Map and radar view of cell towers and Wifi routers
✓ Coverage maps allow you see the best/worst places for 2G, 3G and 4G
✓ See local cell towers
✓ Free and ad-free

https://opensignal.com

Clive

Looks like it might be a useful addition, but can you tell me why it needs to -

:eek: read your contacts
:eek: read the contents of your USB storage
:eek::( modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
:eek: full network access
:eek: run at startup
:eek::( modify system settings
:oops: read Google service configuration
:confused: take ownership of your first born child

OK I made the last one up :rolleyes:, but really? No wonder it's 'free', it just demands permissions to play fast and loose with your data :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back