Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi not sure on the price but do check out the size, as far as I am aware you cannot get it into the locker from outside, it has to go under the bed. It is a shade higher than the available space so a slight mod might be required to raise the bed level. As it is not an enclosed locker you will also have a smell of petrol that is very noticable if you happen to sleep on that side. As the salesman if you can try it for size. Make sure you can lift it ok it is quite heavy.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't use generator myself but from what I have gleaned from previous posts they are OK but the Honda although more expensive are better and quieter, but others may differ.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Good price and good genny. Had mine two years now. Not used much but when I do it does what it says on the tin. But as mentioned earlier - check dimensions for storage.

Cheers

David .....Spindrifter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, if you need a genny rather than want one then yes they are good ones :thumb:Not as quite as quiet the Honda but at a third of the price :thumb: who cares,they both do the same job :ROFLMAO:
Did a quick ebay jobby
Link Removed
with free delivery ???????
terry

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Link Removed

That sounds better. I use the 1 kw version and it's more than enough to recharge your leisure batteries whilst running a lappy and T.V.

If you need to run a microwave then you'll need the 2 kv.:thumb:

P.S. No petrol smell from it because the breather hole on the fuel cap can be closed when not in use.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed

That sounds better. I use the 1 kw version and it's more than enough to recharge your leisure batteries whilst running a lappy and T.V.

If you need to run a microwave then you'll need the 2 kv.:thumb:

P.S. No petrol smell from it because the breather hole on the fuel cap can be closed when not in use.
PLUS VAT :Eeek:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sneaky sods!!:Eeek:

Still a good site for all the info on the gennies.

Like the one on ebay -- say free P &P-- then at the bottom ask about delivery costs ? Please contact me for postage costs ?
terry

Last edited:

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We bought one from e-bay a kippor 2000 good genni but rather big and heavy.£305 Worked well though .We sold it after 4 months and bought a Honda smaller a little quieter and not so heavy.Double the price though.:RollEyes:
Delivery of the kippor was a nightmare first two we received were broken on delivery the third one they double packed it so it was ok.
Honda was from Riverway £599 came direct from Honda.

val

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Sorry Shirl but there it is at the bottom of the first view of the website.

All prices exclude VAT but include delivery :Eeek:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Ah....I was looking at the ebay item...Yes I already looked at DPgenerators.... looks good price at a first glance....It really annoys me when they quote a price, then add the VAT....we all want to know the full price.....Cosco are another one who has the price in big print , then the price with the VAT in smaller print.....and yes I get easily irritated!!! :ROFLMAO:

I am still undecided what to do.....Don't know if my 4' 10'' could lift a 22kg generator, although I am not a weakling !! lol There again I dont want to pay double for a Honda......I only want it for occasional use ..Hmmmm..decisions ..decisions

shirl:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Shirl at the risk of getting a slap I will put it in lady speak:ROFLMAO:
1Kva will give you about 800watts usable power
Your home type hair dryer on half speed

2kva will run you hair dryer on full speed
And allow you straightners to warm up as well:thumb:
there you go sorted:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
hi Geo

Oh...i was thinking about the chainsaw and electic drill !!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Roger is correct about the locker door not being tall enough but it will fit under the couch from inside the van with room to spare.

i disagree about the fuel smell......providing you close the air valve on the tank filler cap.

i got fed up lifting the couch and struggling with the genny so ours lives under the dinette table......never smelt petrol at all 'cos the valve is closed when not being used.

and dont be fooled by the '2000'....it isnt 2000watts, its 2kva which is approx 1600watts or around 7amps

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have had a 2Kva kippor for the past 4 years. We use it when we are on the french aires to power our microwave and charge the batteries at the same time.

steve & ann ----------- teensvan

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Kipor

Hello, i bought a IG 2000 for £335 in June, brand new with warrenty no VAT + though only used it twice very pleased. Maybe a little noisier than a Honda but i can still hear "Her who must be obeyed" nagging over full power Kipor. :roflmto:

PM me if you want the dealers addy.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Any thoughts on the SDMO neo2000 ? slightly lighter than the kipor at 21kg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any thoughts on the SDMO neo2000 ? slightly lighter than the kipor at 21kg

looks ok but compere the spec.

db level for the IG 2000.

Noise level (zero load--full load) dB (A)/7m = 54-59

db level for the SDMO

Noise Level db(A) - 7m 72 ( i assume thats at full load)

SDMO spec

Link Removed

and believe me.......21kg or 22kg, you wont feel the difference of 1kg.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Re CLAIMED db levels,
I would pay little heed to them, believe me, on full load they are all noisy .. even my Honda .. :RollEyes:

At the end of the day it all depends on how you expect to use it, if it's only for emergency or infrequent use then go for one of the cheaper brands.. if on the other hand you will use all the time then I strongly recommend the Honda ..
Yes, it is almost three times the price but it comes with a five year warranty and if looked after will last a lifetime .. will start every time and won't let you down.. you pays your money etc

Look at it this way.. you are about to abandon ship, there are two lifeboats, one with a Honda engine, the other with a XXXXXXX engine .. which boat do you jump into .. ?
as they say .. a no brainer

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, they are ALL noisey but some are noisier than others:Doh:

i would expect 72db from an open framed builders genny not a suitcase model.:whatthe:

as for the sinking ship Jim, if the ships going down and the lifeboats are not then either is better than getting wet.

in other words....if the need for a genny arises then either one is better than none.:thumb:

the other with a XXXXXXX engine .. which boat do you jump into .. ? depends if XXXXXXX engine is a Volvo Penta marine engine.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, they are ALL noisey but some are noisier than others:Doh:

I agree John

point is, makers claim all sorts of db, I have serious doubts about what they report.. and noisy is noisy .. even whisper quiet can sound noisy on a quiet site ..

first time I ran the Honda I thought , yes, :thumb: this is quiet .. then the 70A charger kicked in , it sounded like a rocket taking off .. :Eeek: had to move it about 25mt behind a hedge to try and reduce the noise..

the main criteria for deciding is your budget and what you plan to use it for .. the claimed db are at best only a guide ..

jim

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
looks ok but compere the spec.

db level for the IG 2000.

Noise level (zero load--full load) dB (A)/7m = 54-59

db level for the SDMO

Noise Level db(A) - 7m 72 ( i assume thats at full load)

SDMO spec

Link Removed

and believe me.......21kg or 22kg, you wont feel the difference of 1kg.

Back to reality, 1kg. matters not that decibel difference is HUGE!

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Honda Elemax SH1000DX generator

Hi
Just bought a Honda Elemax generator model SH1000DX, has anybody got one and are they any good, bought it for new year meet as no electric??
Thanks
Val:Eeek:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
well i must say all this has got me thinking.... Basically being a scot i am a bit reluctant to spend the best part of £1000 on a generator...so for now i shall have a wee think and decide later....Got some other more pressing work to get done on the van ie exhaust and some bodywork on the cab....

thanks to you all for your input....most appreciated

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
remember the portables should all be around 50 something db, the Planets, Kipors or Hondas. Is they are listed at around 90db I imagine that is not at 7m which is the industry standard.
Have you not thought of a lighter remote start unit?

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Off subject, but just back from France. Spent several nights on an aire beside the ferry port at Ouistreham. When the ferries come in, several genni's started up as the noise is hidden by ferry engine noise. Makes no difference if it is a silent or cheapo generator.

Superb aires as you can watch these huge vessel turn 180 degrees on a sixpence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back