Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Following the recent post from @Cliffdale regarding island beds .. .. .. .. ..

Since I bought my Arapaho, I've been looking with a comparative view only (as you do) at all the major manufacturers layouts, I like to see what else is available.

Is it me :confused: or is the only thing that makes MH's of the last 2-3 years different from one another, their badge on the front grill and/or the A Class or coach built chassis they use???

Why does the "majority" all have the same layout / Floorplan ?

Does every manufacturer hire the same layout designer because everything looks the same to me ? (except some obvious AT models! and one other I saw the other day I forget which one included an end lounge layout).

Whats with these high rise ovens located above the fridge units? Pulling hot food out of an oven at head height is a "little" dangerous in my view ?

Does everybody want the same thing from a MH layout these days ?

I keep seeing Very small kitchen areas with little or no workspace, except if you close a lid over the sink, whilst finish cooking on the hob, then close a lid on the hob to stack dirty dishes whilst you open a lid on the sink to be able to wash up ?? Or is this where you use paper plates, or let the dogs lick the plate clean for you while you organise your cutlery?

Everything seems a little close nit ?????????

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Your right about kitchen workspace which was one of the reasons we chose our Frankia. The side after the sink and the back shelf really helps, the sink covers also double up as additional shelf(y)
20160409_165704.jpg

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tiny lounges is something I can't get my head around even 8 metre long vans have little round lounges with huge tables.
Weird
We use our van all year and a decent lounge to stretch out in is essential having said that small kitchen doesn't bother us.
Do agree about high rise ovens look bloody dangerous.:eek:
Before designing a van they should live in one for 6 months first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
when we were in Australia last winter we looked at the Sunliner Pinto range. The space inside a small van was amazing. We have an 8m van but I would swap for this small van with a slide out. Felt so spacious and light. Wish they made something similar here !

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Tiny lounges is something I can't get my head around even 8 metre long vans have little round lounges with huge tables.
Weird
We use our van all year and a decent lounge to stretch out in is essential having said that small kitchen doesn't bother us.
Our 8m Hobby 750 has a great lounge ,kitchen and fixed bed but is 8m. Main reason we haven't changed as most options are train seats !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are right about kitchens getting smaller or certainly in most German/Continental vans, I think they must eat out all the time BUT after saying that there are a few new layouts around now that are all along the lines of the Hymer duo where you get a drop down bed at the front a bathroom behind that and then a fairly large and in some cases very large kitchen with a rear lounge area.

I guess at the end of the day there are only so many things you can do with a box that has to have a steering wheel and big window at the front and usually a garage space at the back.

Martin

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Chausson are usually quite innovative - sometimes their ideas don't catch on.
But limited to how many ways you can arrange things.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
image.png
We love the layout of our Adria. Have to juggle cooking working space a bit but have got used to it.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Looked at quite a few New A Class recently. The Hymer had a tiny rectangular sink in which a normal dinner plate would not fit, the front drop down bed was very good but vastly reduced headroom , then as we use normal domestic bedding where are you meant to store it when the bed is raised? In the garage?

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
I love the layout in our Navajo as it has a huge living area for a mh. We make the beds up each night but that is not a chore, didn't want a fixed bed van as consider it a waste of useful daytime living space.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I love the layout in our Navajo as it has a huge living area for a mh. We make the beds up each night but that is not a chore, didn't want a fixed bed van as consider it a waste of useful daytime living space.
Like the look of that one also. We bought the Imala 615 as our first MoHo and can't see another layout that would suit us unless we went for a longer van.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We went for a 718 Chausson with a full sized fixed bed because we value that more than having a lounge. If it's a nice lounge you want to sit around in probably best to get a caravan. Most people we see with caravans sit inside them all day - what's that all about? Our continental layout suits us find with very comfy swivel seats and enough space to sit round the six way table when we're in. You can't beat a nice big bed to get into at the end of the day. Just our opinion though!

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
When we were looking we wanted a small van, preferably with a fixed bed, but found them all dark and claustrophobic. We settled on this Avantgarde, 6m long with an end lounge and a big picture window. We leave the
IMG_20160915_095616381.jpg
bed made up and rolling back the bedding/matress still gives us plenty of room to sit and eat at a collapsible table.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
when we were in Australia last winter we looked at the Sunliner Pinto range. The space inside a small van was amazing. We have an 8m van but I would swap for this small van with a slide out. Felt so spacious and light. Wish they made something similar here !

Aren't small vans with slide outs starting to be produced now? I'm sure we saw one made by that horse box manufacturer last year...somewhere or other

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Aren't small vans with slide outs starting to be produced now? I'm sure we saw one made by that horse box manufacturer last year...somewhere or other

Yes, you did.

There are a few threads about them and their customer service and delivery schedules. Overall assessment seemed to be "be very careful before parting with a deposit"

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Adria are trying a design with a slide out over the rear garage...

Can only find this non-English vid but a picture tells a thousand words :whistle:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
.....and talking about slide-outs - anybody know what happened to the VW DoubleBack?

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Looks impressive but you'd think rain would still be an issue, particularly if coupled with wind, could you still put it away wet and the 'window blind' that unravels on the roof doesn't look like it would stop much to me, good idea though

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I like that idea but if that is the bed it does not look as if you could sit up in bed. Now if the slide came lower to accommodate a low level island bed it would be more impressive to me

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Weird

We're the same, that's why we opted for the Bessacarr 442, gives us and the hounds plenty of space

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back