Travelling to Morocco with dogs (1 Viewer)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend who is toying with the idea of visiting Morocco this winter with her 2 dogs. Both dogs have pet passports and are regular travellers into Europe. It seems that the information regarding entry back into Spain is a little sketchy and she is concerned that non compliance may cause issues i.e. quarantine. I've had some great info back from Sandra @Armytwowheels that I've passed on, but it seems that the more you delve into it, the murkier it becomes.

My friends vet has been in touch with DEFRA and the advice is that both dogs would need re-vaccinatinting with the rabies jab, even though one is not due yet, followed by blood tests 30 days later to prove that the vaccination has worked. If it hasn't, then it all has to be repeated and we're talking £150 per dog initially as long as the jab is ok!

The vet also says that they may have to pay charges to the Moroccan Embassy and that they should also check with the Spanish Embassy to see if there's any further requirement to get back into Spain.

I know there are quite a few Funsters who make this trip with their dogs, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
untill just a couple of years ago i was taking my old dog . she left uk before the pets passport scheme started and was actually in morocco when it started .
she had return papers although no passport at the time .
several years ago spain got awkward with dogs coming back into spain . a few germans had trouble getting back into spain with their dogs . mine got in easily as uk we had the blood test result papers .
on and off it happened again . never knew when they would have a purge .
when uk stopped the blood test papers it opened up a problem.
i always advised getting your dog blood tested . if only just in case you went to morocco or another country outside the limits .
blackie visited several african countries when we were on our travels . never had a problem ,just showed the blood test results etc and scanned for the chip . all ok.
for the cost of it just do it. so long as the jabs are kept up to date wont need another one .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Blood test, titre certificate in date and done at least 30 days before travel and pet pass port and no problems defra are a waste of space and the information they provide is conflicting and ambiguous, after speaking to defra, whose advice conflicted with their own website, they advised the international vets certificate to re-enter Spain after spending days reading every page of Defras website and others this transpires to be the case only if you are importing/exporting 5 dogs or more.

As of Jan 2015 neither the Spanish nor the Moroccan authorities were the slightest bit interested, take sensible precautions with your dogs, keep them on a shortish lead in towns (Moroccans aren't to keen on dogs) all vaccinations up to date etc and no problems.... Enjoy!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Pet Passport with up-to-date annual jabs. Rabies jab annotated in the Pet Passport and a copy of the blood test results. You don't need anything else - agree with Dave that DEFRA site is useless.

In practice, the only time you'll be bothered is coming back into the UK and that's no bother, as long as you get your timings right (worming carried out and Pet Passport annotated with time/date between 24 and 120 hours before departure to UK).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I looked into this and AFAIK you need the rabies jab, passport AND the blood tests done, not just the rabies jab and passport - as 2 of our dogs had theirs done under the 'old' scheme they had the blood tests done so no problem there but our newest one didn't have to have the blood test. Whether the blood test can be done without the rabies jab being repeated from the start, or just following a boaster, would be something the vet could probably advise on.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best not chance anything ,get the blood test.
only needs one dog in france or spain to get rabies and the spanish go into panic stations .
if you have the titra results all well and good .
if i ever got another dog i certainly would want a blood test . belt /braces .
at least if you getr a test you know your dog is as safe as you can make it .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NOTE TO SELF.... Must go Specsavers...

I read title and thought it said "Travelling to Morocco with DRUGS" !! :doh:

Wondered why as they have their own "happy cakes" ;)

Sorry know nothing about dogs and motorhomes..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
NOTE TO SELF.... Must go Specsavers...

I read title and thought it said "Travelling to Morocco with DRUGS" !! :doh:

Wondered why as they have their own "happy cakes" ;)

Sorry know nothing about dogs and motorhomes..
coal /newcastle. hee hee.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
:whistle:Don't take the dogs or choose a different destination!

Now, apply body armour / tin hat and duck below parapet.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You can't get a titre certificate without a blood test, thought that was bleeding obvious:rolleyes: but yes, I say again you must have this for Morocco

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Pet Passport with up-to-date annual jabs. Rabies jab annotated in the Pet Passport and a copy of the blood test results. You don't need anything else - agree with Dave that DEFRA site is useless.

In practice, the only time you'll be bothered is coming back into the UK and that's no bother, as long as you get your timings right (worming carried out and Pet Passport annotated with time/date between 24 and 120 hours before departure to UK).
Should be 24 to 120 hours before ARRIVAL into the UK.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Agree with @dabhand.
If you have been to Morocco, you must have the rabies certificate as well as the rabies stamp on the passport.
The certificate proves that the jab has taken. If it hasn't, you have to start the process all over again.
Your vet seems expensive. Paid less than £80 for mine.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks all for your great advice as always, I've passed all the info on to my friend and she's having the dogs prepped as you've described (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Should be 24 to 120 hours before ARRIVAL into the UK.

Oops, you're right Sue. But it's always best to err on the side of caution and allow plenty of time either way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back