Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We recently bought a Hobby 725 2006 registered
I am still getting used to it and yesterday stupidly drove off with the electric side step still out
No damage but it could have been very different.
I am normally careful and walk round the van before moving off but got in via the side door.

The manual doesn't mention any warning alarm and the step does not slide in when you turn the ignition key

I don't know the make of the step, no visible name on it.
I will endevour to be more careful in future but would like to fit an audible alarm which sounds when the ignition is turned on.
Anyone know how easy/difficult this sis to do
Many thanks
Kev

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just to save time and effort add "Step - Ensure Retracted" to your pre-departure list (y) If you've not got one - get one;)

OP
OP
Duck Truck

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi Zig
yep we have one but on route soemtimes we stop walk the dog etc
and side dorr is the door we use
We dont do the whole check list at each stop so and alrm would be good
Thanks anyway
Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have an alarm on ours that has a mind of its own, bleeping when retracted on occasion but more often than not not bleeping when left out.

my mirrors are adjusted so the step is in view on my offside mirror, still miss it occasionally but not often

a beeper should be pretty straightforward, but like mine prone to wet and dirt ingress and premature failure I would say

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@andy63 just broke his step. There is a warning when he starts the MOTORHOME but it sounds in the habitation and not the cab so he doesn't hear it as a reminder. He will be coming up with a solution to this soon no doubt.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 just broke his step. There is a warning when he starts the MOTORHOME but it sounds in the habitation and not the cab so he doesn't hear it as a reminder. He will be coming up with a solution to this soon no doubt.

Haha..I was just trying to figure out how to explain what I was going to try when I saw your post...
A poor explanation follows of what I intend trying :LOL:

It should be possible to fit a relay energised by an ignition or engine run signal to the step motor closing wire..
My step has a switch that is operated when the step closes.. I think most steps have such a switch that operates a warning light or buzzer..
So would use that to earth the coil of the relay so that when the step closes it switches the relay off..
That's what I intend trying... as my step doesn't close unless you operate the switch..and I'd rather it closed when I start the engine..
Andy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Haha..I was just trying to figure out how to explain what I was going to try when I saw your post...
A poor explanation follows of what I intend trying :LOL:

It should be possible to fit a relay energised by an ignition or engine run signal to the step motor closing wire..
My step has a switch that is operated when the step closes.. I think most steps have such a switch that operates a warning light or buzzer..
So would use that to earth the coil of the relay so that when the step closes it switches the relay off..
That's what I intend trying... as my step doesn't close unless you operate the switch..and I'd rather it closed when I start the engine..
Andy
Better a warning buzzer + retraction button on the dash. A friend of mine came close to serious injury when she stepped out of the van with the step retracted. Her husband had turned the ignition on to check something.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My Swift had an audible alarm and retracted on starting the engine.
Bearing in mind that the power has to be on in the Sargent unit in the hab area or it wouldn't work

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Our last van had a "courtesy light" type switch on the hab door. This extended the step when the door was opened and retracted it when the door was closed. It also operated a step light. There was a switch on the dash which could isolate the step operation so I still, on occasion, managed to drive off with the step extended!

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Helen has a micro switch which is opened (turned off) when the step is retracted. The switch is connected to a red warning light below the "oil" light on the instrument cluster. It is a very basic installation and only works with the ignition switch on so a clear and obvious warning.

It appears to be original equipment (34 years old) but if I did not have it and wondered if the step was up or down I can simply look over my right shoulder and see the lever is up, yes, Helen's step is manual!

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Better a warning buzzer + retraction button on the dash.

I asked a question on a thread a while back about whether steps should close when you turn on the ignition or start engine..
The concensus appeared to be the the solution you mention above..but my problem is I'm deaf to most of the modern high pitched buzzerrs.. I don't hear my step buzzer and don't hear my reversing sensor's for example...
In a previous van I've fitted flashing led''s as warning devices for open skylights etc and missed them when it's bright and sunny..
So for me having the step closing not on ignition but when the engine is running is the best solution. ..

My Swift had an audible alarm and retracted on starting the engine.
Bearing in mind that the power has to be on in the Sargent unit in the hab area or it wouldn't work
My van is the same Bobby. . The power panel has to be on in hab area for the step switch to work... there does appear to be a timer function that let's you switch the panel off and the step can still be closed when you leave the van but I've never checked how long you get..
If I get round to putting the engine run relay in I'm going to try and make sure it's independent of the power panel in the hab area..

Having said all this it's pretty hard to miss the extended step if I glance in the mirror...but I've managed that as well:LOL:

My apologies to @kev1 but as my first post on your thread indicated it should be a fairly straight fwd job to install a switch and warning or retraction system on your step..

Andy.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
.........my problem is I'm deaf to most of the modern high pitched buzzerrs.. I don't hear my step buzzer and don't hear my reversing sensor's for example...
Andy.

You could always try one of these ,JCB reverse alarms. :rofl:
Most of the farmers spent their time disconnecting them!:doh:

image.jpeg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You could always try one of these ,JCB reverse alarms. :rofl:
Most of the farmers spent their time disconnecting them!:doh:

View attachment 124335
Haha Richard, .. it would take something like that I'm afraid..
My deafness is a source of amusement to the family especially the grandkid's. Has been a bit embarrassing on occasion but I'm getting used to it now..:LOL:
Andy.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I tend to suffer from selective hearing......or so I'm told...:LOL:

OP
OP
Duck Truck

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all the wonderful replies
looks a tad more complicated than I thought
Andy if you have success please let me know
Kev

Then I can pop round and you can do mine
lol

OP
OP
Duck Truck

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Bugger bugger bugger
Returned via Calais
and had to let 3 armed soldiers search the van before we boarded the ferry
As a result I forgot to put the step in after they got out.
Drove forward to the passport control and the step just caught the barrier leading up to the control box.
No real damage to the step but ripped the anti slip mat that covers it
Could have been worse but I must get round to fitting an alarm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back