Passenger Seat Swivel Question (1 Viewer)

djw1953

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Maybe a daft question but does a swivelling passenger seat have to face forward whilst travelling? :cautious:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
possibly not lots of vehicles have rear facing seats but if it was a child i believe they have to be belted
Don't think children should be belted personally:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I don't know the answer, but if my passenger seat is swivelled, the back and head rest obscure the near side wing mirror - rather essential when driving! And no, I don't drive with the seat swivelled!

Reactions: GBS
Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It can face backwards provided it is locked in position & doesn't obscure the mirror but getting the belt to work may be your problem as even in a rear facing seat the belt ( if fitted) must be worn

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
seat belt cannot be used, so the answer is no.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I asked the same question many years ago and never did get a definitive answer but personally I think it is ok as long as seat belt is worn.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
seat belt cannot be used, so the answer is no.

That depends on the vehicle.

On ours the entire seatbelt assembly is part of the seat so the fittings move with the seat allowing the belt to be worn no matter what position the seat is in.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It also has to lock into the rearward facing position which some do but I believe some don't.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Couldn't do it in ours, seat belt OK as above but the bulkhead stops it locking.
Anyway HID always want to watch me driving, thinks she can stop me having an accident.
(y):LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A factor to consider is can the seat back take the impact of your body hitting it in a front on collision? It might be able to, as a vehicle can be hit from the rear but the acceleration from a rear end shunt is probably less than a head on in most cases so the seat might be designed accordingly.

The RAF used to fly their VC10s with rearward facing seats as this was much safer in the event of a crash as the seat back supported the whole body and the head. However, it wasn't a simply matter of turning the seats around as normal aircraft seats are not designed to be used this way round. They had to be special seats with special floor mountings. The seats of the pilots I must add were facing forward - well I think they were but given some of the landings I've experienced this might not be the case!

Upvote 0

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I'm trying to think why anyone would want to face backwards whilst travelling and for the life of me can't come up with one good reason. Personally it would make me feel ill, but then I do get travel sick very easily, which is why I don't like being a rear seat passenger or coach travel. Bizarre really for someone who's covered god knows how many miles on the road - though mostly as a driver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I guess that the seat belt options rule on this question. I can say that if you have a VW T5 or T6 with factory fitted swivels then there is a sticker on the door pillar saying that the seats must face forwards when in motion. These vehicles don't have the seat belts totally fixed to the seat thus cannot be used with the seat rotated.

Rod

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back