Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Morning!
Who would have thought it could be so hard to buy a puppy? Seriously though, this is so important to us that I thought I would ask you guys before taking the next step.
We have been studying/researching breeders for over a year. The problems come when you have a 'tick list' and don't want to compromise! This is ideally what we would like:
  • Dog, not bitch.
  • Short/regular coat
  • black and gold
  • health tested
  • raised in the home not a kennel
  • reputable breeder - most important!
The other issue is that we would like a pup now, as we would like to get him used to the motorhome rather than wait until the Spring.
I was hoping someone out there in Funland might have some recommendations that we could follow up.
Any suggestions welcome!
Cheers, Gerri

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Nope! But I knew you would succumb

Ron 1 Gerri 0

By the way long haired are more intelligent and much better looking!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've been to see a dozen litters over the last six months. The breed is in a bad way. When I do find what I'm looking for I think I will definitely be looking at breeding some traditional chunky working Shepherds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You think "buying" a puppy from a breeder is hard - try rehoming a rescue dog :(.

So far I've either had no response, or discovered they're dodgy.
Best hope so far is for a "retired" greyhound from a kennels with a decent reputation - but unfortunately the owner has apparently had seriously bad news about her partner & asked for a bit of time [which is fair enough]

Good luck @Ron & Gerri

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The breed is indeed in a bad way.

The dog that won the last big show walked like it had had it back legs broken

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
After seeing the so call best of breed at crufts and seeing what the kennel club are now looking into with the breed.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
How about a Belgian Malanois? The breeders haven't managed to screw those up yet. Plus the availability seems good.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The breed is indeed in a bad way.

The dog that won the last big show walked like it had had it back legs broken

After seeing the so call best of breed at crufts and seeing what the kennel club are now looking into with the breed.

Dreadful looking dog.

However, if you want a good laugh or some gift ideas, have a look at "Clive's Cats"

IMG_1523.JPG

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've said it before & I make no apology for saying it again, I wouldn't have a KC registered dog if it came free with a box of cornflakes. Mark Evans puts it into far better words than I can so if you insist in having a pedigree or even a hand knitted (mongrel) dog please watch this video. Don't make the mistake of being arrogant & assuming that you know everything there is to know. None of know all that there is to know, every days a school day. The health of the animal you love shouldn't be in danger or have defects bred into them.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Mark Evans puts it into far better words than I can
Trouble is - he's with the RSPCA...
...and in my opinion they haven't got the best of reputations when it comes to the health & welfare of animals. The RSPCA, like many national charities are more interested in self promotion, political ambition & money raising to fund the empire.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would only ever have dogs from KC Assured breeders. I'd struggle to trust any breeder that didn't want to be part of the scheme

Just because they are assured breeders does not mean they are breeding show dogs. Both of mine have good pedigrees and are from proper breeders however neither meet the breed standard for show dogs. There are however both cracking working dogs.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Trouble is - he's with the RSPCA...
...and in my opinion they haven't got the best of reputations when it comes to the health & welfare of animals. The RSPCA, like many national charities are more interested in self promotion, political ambition & money raising to fund the empire.

Exactly. I wouldn't give Mark Evans, or anyone else from the RSPCA for that matter, the time of day.

These days for them the welfare of animals is in a distant third place behind their political aims and the charity fundraising they carry out to fund their political aims.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There are plenty of good GSD's that are registered with the KC Just because they are registered it does not mean they conform to the breed spec.
Our two German Sheperds are KC registered and are excellent dogs. Being long haired they not shown so are more like wolves lol

I wouldn't give the RSPCA house room, to animals they are the Caravan Club, full of their own self importance, self serving and try and dress like the Police to impress!
Our two sat in the doorway of our motorhome! They are not allowed out until we say they can so sit patiently watching for the "command"
P8110870.JPG

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our two German Sheperds are KC registered and are excellent dogs. Being long haired they not shown so are more like wolves lol

I wouldn't give the RSPCA house room, to animals they are the Caravan Club, full of their own self importance, self serving and try and dress like the Police to impress!
Our two sat in the doorway of our motorhome! They are not allowed out until we say they can so sit patiently watching for the "command" View attachment 124232
I seem to recall that they make great door stops as well....... lovely dogs

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
There are still good GSD's out there but, in my view, there are two distinct lines; ie the Germanic with the sloping back and powerful hindquarters and the squarer English line and they drift further and further apart.
Most breeders show their dogs and as such become judges themselves in the shows and if the judge breeds Germanic themselves then they do not want to see examples of the English and visa versa. Because of this the breeders try to put more and more of their own traits into their dogs and the breed becomes physically further and further apart.
When I retired my working GSD retired with me even though he was only 4yo and we used him to breed 2 litters of pups from a bitch we bought after retirement. We showed both Meko & Bo without any regard to whether the Judge was Germanic or English and enjoyed it at small local shows but once put Meko into a group that had no other entries and the Judge downright refused to give him first (out of one) as he didn't show 'the correct breed standards'
Decided not to bother showing after that!

I wonder what Captain Max von Stephanitz would make of the breed today?

I think that it is still pot luck picking a pup at 12 weeks because with the best will in the world it is only as they mature will any 'faults' show. Breeders try to breed out faults (as they see them) but do so at the expense of other traits.

It all depends what you want the breed for.
If you want to go on and show or breed them then it is a minefield as what is written on the pedigree is often looked on as more important than what the dog looks like.
If you want a dog that is a companion then it doesn't matter what they look like or who their parents were.

Sorry I can't help with finding a GSD for you but as above, a lot depends on what you want one for

We enjoyed them when we had them and often wish we had them now!

P1010061.JPG

P1010032.JPG

P1010038.JPG

Not that they were spoiled!!

Dogs9.JPG

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
After going down the road of various GSD rescues, I would not bother...

Trolled internet and free adds papers and web sites and found what we have...

Could not ask for a more loving faithful dog.... and comes into her own at night time...

Obedient`ish, gives paw`s.. sit`s..etc and is house trained..

We certainly fell on our feet with her.... only down side is she is not a good car traveller... :frowny: But that`s not the end of the world..

She has filled out and grown in the few weeks we have had her..

Vet gave her a terrific clean bill of health and good hip score.. :wub:

Been offered more than I paid.. And Judy said no.. not for sale.. and that`s from someone who did not want a dog.. :giggler: :Grin:

Think it would be cheaper if I got another Mo-home.. :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Latest photo... and now know her to be 9 & half months old..

DSC01843 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC01864 (600 x 450).jpg

.PS. She don`t half give some deep Woof.. Woofs to Brian & Jo... when she sees them... :nod::nod::rofl:

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@old-mo

Rescue Remedy! Homoeopathic cure, so I was dead sceptical when it was recommended to us for Sabre the older dogs travel sickness! Lyn bought the bottle with the rubber top and a couple of drops squirted on to his tongue stopped it instantly and we even stopped using the Rescue Remedy after about 12 months

Barrett & Holland, Boots anywhere like that.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
@old-mo

Rescue Remedy! Homoeopathic cure, so I was dead sceptical when it was recommended to us for Sabre the older dogs travel sickness! Lyn bought the bottle with the rubber top and a couple of drops squirted on to his tongue stopped it instantly and we even stopped using the Rescue Remedy after about 12 months

Barrett & Holland, Boots anywhere like that.

Thanks Eddie.... She has all the room she wants to run around... but would be nice to take her for a good romp in the forest or down to the beach..

Will definately get some and try that.. :thanks3:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They are beautiful dogs.

I grew up with one ( Kim) and she was so loyal and protective

She would chase and retrieve anything too no matter how big.

We had a boat when I was young and Dad threw the anchor over the side once and off jumped Kim to retrieve it:D

It broke my heart when her back legs went:(

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
There are still good GSD's out there but, in my view, there are two distinct lines; ie the Germanic with the sloping back and powerful hindquarters and the squarer English line and they drift further and further apart.
Most breeders show their dogs and as such become judges themselves in the shows and if the judge breeds Germanic themselves then they do not want to see examples of the English and visa versa. Because of this the breeders try to put more and more of their own traits into their dogs and the breed becomes physically further and further apart.
When I retired my working GSD retired with me even though he was only 4yo and we used him to breed 2 litters of pups from a bitch we bought after retirement. We showed both Meko & Bo without any regard to whether the Judge was Germanic or English and enjoyed it at small local shows but once put Meko into a group that had no other entries and the Judge downright refused to give him first (out of one) as he didn't show 'the correct breed standards'
Decided not to bother showing after that!

I wonder what Captain Max von Stephanitz would make of the breed today?

I think that it is still pot luck picking a pup at 12 weeks because with the best will in the world it is only as they mature will any 'faults' show. Breeders try to breed out faults (as they see them) but do so at the expense of other traits.

It all depends what you want the breed for.
If you want to go on and show or breed them then it is a minefield as what is written on the pedigree is often looked on as more important than what the dog looks like.
If you want a dog that is a companion then it doesn't matter what they look like or who their parents were.

Sorry I can't help with finding a GSD for you but as above, a lot depends on what you want one for

We enjoyed them when we had them and often wish we had them now!

View attachment 124234

View attachment 124235

View attachment 124236

Not that they were spoiled!!

View attachment 124237
Oh Barry! They are beautiful! We don't want to show or breed. We just want a beautiful, loyal, intelligent companion to take with us on our travels and adventures. Sometimes you see a dog and just melt, saying "That's exactly what I want". That's what happened when we met one in Hereford in June and so have been looking for one just like him. We have read up very carefully about the breeders we have been in touch with and many of them feel exactly the same way about the Kennel Club and it's breed standard as we do. To us, health and temperament are the most important thing but I still think it will be possible to find the right boy for us.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We just want a beautiful, loyal, intelligent companion to take with us on our travels and adventures.

That is very nice of you but surely Ron fits those criteria.......

......but he probably can't scratch behind his ear with his foot and isn't so good at "fetch" either..... :whistle:

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
I would only ever have dogs from KC Assured breeders. I'd struggle to trust any breeder that didn't want to be part of the scheme

Just because they are assured breeders does not mean they are breeding show dogs. Both of mine have good pedigrees and are from proper breeders however neither meet the breed standard for show dogs. There are however both cracking working dogs.
Sorry to say that The KC Assured breeders is another money making scheme, we have seen so call KC Assured breeders that fugge paper work and do not show both mum and dad.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
There are plenty of good GSD's that are registered with the KC Just because they are registered it does not mean they conform to the breed spec.
Yes Jim, that is true, but it is finding the right breeder.
Good people to ask would be the police dog section, they use the right breeders.
Our daughter bought one from that source and she is a wonderful dog.
Our girls are from working lines.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Mr Vanbitz... I can see it in their eyes... they want to rip me apart and have me for brekky... just like that Daisy bitch of Old Mo's... I`m staying over here in Portugal.

JJ :cool:

If mine and @eddievanbitz `s dog`s keep the "Illegal Immigrants" at bay they are doing a great job.. :giggler:

:wink:

Luvs you really @JJ... :lips:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
about the Kennel Club and it's breed standard

The breed standard is nothing to do with the Kennel Club for any breed.

The standards are set by the individual breed associations. The Kennel Club is an umbrella organisation that they are all affiliated to, some more willingly than others. I don't know if the BAGSD is one of the more bolshy ones or not but a possible reason for the KC not pushing them very hard to change things is that if they chose to leave and operate independently it would make things far worse for the state of the breed.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The breed standard is nothing to do with the Kennel Club for any breed.

Not quite right. The Breed Standard is owned by the KC and only they can sanction changes of it.

The basis of breed shows is the judging of pedigree dogs against the 'Breed Standard', which is a picture in words that describes each breed of pedigree dog. For all licensed breed shows, the Kennel Club Breed Standards must be used for the judging of pedigree dogs.

The Breed Standards are owned by the Kennel Club, and all changes are subject to approval by the Kennel Club General Committee.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back