Any Truma model knowledge out there? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
A few weeks ago all the 5.5m PVC’s had Truma 4 heaters in them, so although the odd one was 4E I didn’t get too bogged down looking at them. Now all of a sudden, as they bring out their 2017 specifications, some have 6, 6E or even 6D as standard or options.

Now I sort of understand that 4/6 run on the gas you carry around in the van … the E models can also run fully or partly on electric? The 6D on diesel? What confuses me is –

1. The 6 models have a 6000w output but according to the website don’t appear to heat the water any quicker?
2. If I’m mostly going to be using it on EHC then am I better with E because it’s ‘free’ or better on gas/D because it leaves more of the EHU power for everything else?

Any thoughts/corrections? Thanks!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A few weeks ago all the 5.5m PVC’s had Truma 4 heaters in them, so although the odd one was 4E I didn’t get too bogged down looking at them. Now all of a sudden, as they bring out their 2017 specifications, some have 6, 6E or even 6D as standard or options.

Now I sort of understand that 4/6 run on the gas you carry around in the van … the E models can also run fully or partly on electric? The 6D on diesel? What confuses me is –

1. The 6 models have a 6000w output but according to the website don’t appear to heat the water any quicker?
2. If I’m mostly going to be using it on EHC then am I better with E because it’s ‘free’ or better on gas/D because it leaves more of the EHU power for everything else?

I'm not sure I can add much to ease your confusion, but I have the Combi 6E and when away off grid it gets its fill of gas and when on EHU, it gets Elec only. Elec is definitely slower than gas, so if it is really cold or need water quickly, we use Gas/Elec setting, but if you have the CP panel, you also have the water boost setting. If on Elec only, you can still use kettle and hair dryers etc at the same time so don't need to leave any power for anything else.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
not sure if the number signifies higher output or just the newest model but i would guess that e has the electric element added and d is possibly deisel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm not sure I can add much to ease your confusion, but I have the Combi 6E and when away off grid it gets its fill of gas and when on EHU, it gets Elec only. Elec is definitely slower than gas, so if it is really cold or need water quickly, we use Gas/Elec setting, but if you have the CP panel, you also have the water boost setting. If on Elec only, you can still use kettle and hair dryers etc at the same time so don't need to leave any power for anything else.

What he said :)

Edit: when not on EHU which is most of the time... with fridge perm on gas and gas for hot water to shower... I use circa 0.6ltrs of gas per 24 hrs...

Ps... I'm not ridgid about turning water heater on and off ... Sometimes it'll be on an hr or two before I get around to using shower... Also there are many occasions when I forget to turn it off..
:)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

If you use a continental (or another site) with an EHU under 16 amps and have the water heater on and the kettle most likely one of two things will happen. 1. The breaker will cut out
2. The electricity volts will drop.....the first casualty of this is my fridge which cuts out. A kettle will boil slowly and the water heater will heat slowly.
On low amps sites I just use the water heater on the lowest setting and wait an hour or two!!!
As zigisla says the truma 6 fitted to the Carado/Sunlight range has an option to allow the gas to cut in if the EHU Supply drops below a useable range.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have the gas elec 6002eh combi. Use gas for heating water for showers use it on 40 because 60 is too hot . 15 minutes will give enough for 2 showers and the washing up. Turn it off then. If we are on why and need heating I use a small elec heater. If it's cold we leave it on if we go out . If it is really cold I use gas heating to warm it up quickly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The Truma 6D is in fact 6 kilowatt diesel powered. Good if you don't want to carry lots of gas, more weight for booze. Also, no worries about finding gas either bottled or at the pumps. Diesel is available almost anywhere!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back