How accurate to I need to be with my motorhome weight on Le Shuttle? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had my 3500kg Rapido MTPLM up rated to 3850kg it was a paper exercise through SVTech. So theoretically I can’t go through the tunnel as a campervan and would need to book via their freight Shuttle service. Are any of you guys with MTPLM over 3500kg naughty and just book as a campervan? If so have any of you had any issues i.e. do Le Shuttle pick the weight up off the number plate from a database or do they just look visually for obviously large tag axles or massively oversized RV that have been naughty? You have probably gathered I would like to be naughty. Any help would be appreciated………Cheers.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Correct, i was behind a massive continental coach when i boarded, weight isn't a issue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Ive been through a few times 5 tonne 8.7m tag axle never been questioned about dimensions. Just select camper van when you book.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If he can get on - then you should be okay ......

BUS 1.jpg

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We are a 5tonne tag axle never been asked weight or length just book as motorhome / campervan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
. . . . . and yet, if you add a trailer you are charged as, virtually, two vehicles. So me with a 6m vehicle and a 2m trailer is charged more than a long RV. NOT FAIR!
and on ferries they very often allow 11mtrs for a car and caravan . so at 10mtrs i go cheaper than my mate with his 6mtr motor caravan .
swings and roundabouts . they make choices , and so can we.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am intrigued about where you gained the erroneous information about weight.

Maybe from this slightly confusing statement on Le Shuttle website .. ?

High vehicles, utility vehicles or campervans
We allocate space in the single deck carriage for vehicles cars higher than 1.85 metres and coaches and caravans. The carriages are twice as high as the double deck carriages so there is ample room.

There is no extra charge for cars so feel free to bring bicycles, roof boxes etc. Other vehicle type prices will vary according to the vehicle type.

Just inform us when booking. Please note, the max weight laden for a van on our Passenger service is 3.5 tonnes.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/vehicles/high-vehicles/

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Maybe from this slightly confusing statement on Le Shuttle website .. ?

High vehicles, utility vehicles or campervans
We allocate space in the single deck carriage for vehicles cars higher than 1.85 metres and coaches and caravans. The carriages are twice as high as the double deck carriages so there is ample room.

There is no extra charge for cars so feel free to bring bicycles, roof boxes etc. Other vehicle type prices will vary according to the vehicle type.

Just inform us when booking. Please note, the max weight laden for a van on our Passenger service is 3.5 tonnes.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/vehicles/high-vehicles/
Yes virtually impossible to miss

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On the Eurotunnel Le Shuttle website when you book and here: Broken Link Removed
You are looking in the wrong place. You are not a van, you are a campervan . If you look at those you will see there is no weight or length limit. As others have said anything from a VW camper to a 35 foot RV is classed as a campervan.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You are looking in the wrong place. You are not a van, you are a campervan . If you look at those you will see there is no weight or length limit. As others have said anything from a VW camper to a 35 foot RV is classed as a campervan.
Yes you are right, well you must be right looks like all campers over 3500kg get on and don't get hassle; great deal for 35 footers! Thank you.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use the tunnel whenever we go to mainland Europe. It is so much easier and quicker. If you go often (5 returns per year) then get the frequent traveller deal. It costs £54 each way for a campervan.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
The frequent traveller deal can be shared between two vans, ad on here will usually bring partner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back