Poole or Portsmouth - easiest to get to from "up north"? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 43219
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43219

Deleted User
We're thinking about going over to France next spring and I was wondering which of the two ferry ports would be the easiest to get to with our PVC. An easy journey for me means avoiding congested towns and roads as far as possible. Looking at the map, there is more motorway if heading for Portsmouth, whereas Poole looks to have mainly A roads south of the Bristol area. What are funster's experiences?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Definitely Portsmouth it is motorway or dual carriage all the way right to the dock gates M40, mA34, M3 M27. If you go to Poole from Bristol it will take 2.5 hours you'll be lucky to get above 40mph going via Bath the A36 and the A450 done the journey several times and i would avoid it if possible.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Agree Portsmouth, even when we were tugging! Dont know how far North you would be coming from but we used to do M6,M40 then onto the A34 down to the M3.
The A34 can get busy especially round Oxford but as I said, even when we had a caravan it was the preferred route.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Quick Run with Autoroute, The Journey is the same to J9 (M40). From there it is between 1hr 40min to 2hrs (109miles) to Poole and 1hr 22min to 2hrs (95miles) to Portsmouth.

In recent times the A34 around Oxford has been undergoing road works, which have been giving issues (Pear Tree? I think), and it is always slow going getting off the M40 onto the A34 at peak times!

I would suggest Portsmouth, unless there was a greater financial incentive for Poole.

Pete

Last edited:

Deleted User
I do the run from Lancashire to Portsmouth on a regular basis and my preferred route is via the M6, M5 to Gloucester then to Swindon, can't remember the junction number or road number( done the route so many times I could do it in my sleep) big hill at Birdlip but no problem. M4 then onto A34 near Newbury, I wouldn't think there is a lot of difference from that point to Poole or Portsmouth but Portsmouth is certainly easy to get to.

If you have time most of the M6 in Cheshire and the Midlands can be avoided by using the A49 through Shropshire etc and joining the M5 South of Birmingham, a very pleasant change from the chaos on UK motorways.

Reactions: f6c

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Depends on you arrival time, arrive at poole evening before, toilets, showers...£5.00 for the night, safe and secure, Portsmouth....Hmm!

Reactions: f6c
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Portsmouth, you are literally straight off the motorway into the terminal.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Why not go Dover Calais, we have just booked for 2 weeks end Sept. £104 return for 7.6 mtr. We live in Nottingham but when coming from over the northern border the route is much the same ((A66, A1, M1 or M11) against M6 to M1 or M40)) then either over QE bridge or round M25 anti-clockwise to Dover.
I will probably go over to Grantham then A1, A14 M11 etc., we will be in Canterbury night before sailing so fresh for France.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Portsmouth way easier than Poole. We live 5 mins from the Portsmouth Terminal but prefer to go Folkestone - Calaise on the train. I would rather sit driving my MH accross France than sit on a ferry .. .. :sick:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I was coming as far as you I would be looking at Hull / Zeebrugge

Depends on where in France you are aiming for, but drive to Hull overnight ferry to recover then go again in morning for me (y)

Bit more ferry cost, but a massive saving on miles and tiredness, French miles are so much easier than UK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Could you do the Newcastle or Hull ferry, by the time you have got from Fort William to Plymouth or Portsmouth it will be time to turn around and go back home again.

Martin

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We travel regularly to Spain from Dundee but only ever use DFDS Dover to either Dunkirk or Calais. Would never dream of using Portsmouth ,Poole or Newhaven as all of the ferries from them are far too expensive!
Would even use the tunnel as that is usually cheaper too.Being a scotsman i like a bargain lol !!
Main reason it is a short crossing for the dog and he gets to stay in the motorhome and not in a kennel on longer journeys

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another reason to avoid Poole is that work started today to refurbish the famous lifting bridge at Poole at the dock enterance and diversions are going to cause traffic chaos for the next 9-12months

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An easy journey for me means avoiding congested towns and roads as far as possible.

Why not go Dover Calais, we have just booked for 2 weeks end Sept. £104 return for 7.6 mtr. We live in Nottingham but when coming from over the northern border the route is much the same ((A66, A1, M1 or M11) against M6 to M1 or M40)) then either over QE bridge or round M25 anti-clockwise to Dover.

Simple.... He wants to avoid congestion..

besides, Dover Calais crossing is becomming less attarctive due to disruption, French blokades etc etc If I were coming from Scotland I'd also be looking to avoid the M25 and Calais

Living in Suffolk, I'm considering Harwich - Hook of Holland next trip. ..

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Simple.... He wants to avoid congestion...

If timed correctly then the congestion is not an issue, We will be travelling from Nottingham to Canterbury on the Sunday ready for a Monday sailing on P & 0, off at Calais early afternoon then out of Calais. Earlier this year we did the same and managed to get to the aire at Gace, well away from any trouble.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 43219

Deleted User
Being a newbie, this is the first time I've asked a question on this forum and I'm mightily impressed. It's not just the number of people who have kindly taken the time and trouble to reply but also the alternative route suggestions that now give me plenty of food for thought. Portsmouth is the clear winner in answer to my question. However, I hadn't considered departing Blighty from one of eastern ports to Zeebrugge or Calais, but checking distances I see that getting to southern France isn't much further that way compared with the western arrival ports like Cherbourg or St Malo. Hull to Zeebrugge is certainly worth serious thought from our northern start point. The other option that occurs to me is to ferry from Plymouth or Portsmouth to northern Spain and work our way back up to the Channel. The planning is such fun isn't it!

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I still prefer to avoid Dover/Folkestone crossing apart from the lottery of the M25 there is the added frisson of potential excitement coming back into Calais and meeting a roadblock.

Poole is a nice place but terrible roads, there are lots of nice places to stay en route if you have an early crossing.

Portsmouth is the most reliable and accessible, but you would be best served not expecting to wait there very long. Better to park on Portsdown hill over looking the sea. Not sure you can overnight there.

Plymouth, long way and depending on when you are travelling the M5 around Birmingham and Bristol has to be negotiated, which can be every bit as bad as the M25.

Personally if I was north of the M62 I'd be considering Hull.

Bon voyage

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
We used Portsmouth - Santander on both legs earlier this year, travelling form Wakefield. Drove down via Oxford, parked up overnight in waiting lane at port, FOC, evening arrival on way back used pubstop 20 mins towards M3.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Another vote here for the Hull - Zebrugge route. Ferry out at around 6pm, decent nights sleep and very acceptable food, and roll off the ferry around 9 the following morning (times from memory but you get my drift..)

So you start the day fresh, showered etc and once you clear the horrendous Belgian road surfaces it's all easy peasy

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Live in Hull and sometimes come back from Zeebrugge, but most times go Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, we usually set off about 9pm roads are quiet, dartford is free, sleep on marine drive for a couple of hours and then get an early ferry. If you do decide to take the Hull crossing be sure you give the right length including bike rack, they do measure you and will charge extra, as we found to our cost although we had given length CC used length without bike rack.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Portsmouth, no hazzle

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Portsmouth way easier than Poole. We live 5 mins from the Portsmouth Terminal but prefer to go Folkestone - Calaise on the train. I would rather sit driving my MH accross France than sit on a ferry .. .. :sick:
We don't sit on a Ferry we lay down:whistle: The 10.00pm Portsmouth to Caen. A nightcap in the Bar and straight to Bed, awake in France early the next morning refreshed.
Also for Doggy People there is never a problem as the Dog stays in the MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back