Cleaning out fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Question is how often do you clean your tank if ever. I have some stuff called Puriclean but it says pump out the tank after use and do not swallow, so not sure with this stuff. Any thoughts or ideas would be useful.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Question is how often do you clean your tank if ever. I have some stuff called Puriclean but it says pump out the tank after use and do not swallow, so not sure with this stuff. Any thoughts or ideas would be useful.
I think you would be better leaving that stuff in its carton;):)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Use these, they do a perfect job :)
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Purisol to clean and sterilize the tank and pipes, Aquasol to keep the water in the tank fresh after
About £8 ea, One word of advice however;

Read the bloody instructions on the bottles before you start!!!

I've been using it for a while and I haven't grown two heads.

YET!

At the end of each trip empty the tank and pipes, I do this on the way home, I open the Cocks and the taps (pump off). At home I blow down the pipes/taps and wipe out the residue in the tank .

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Use these, they do a perfect job :)
View attachment 123986

Been using those so will stick with them. Thanks
Purisol to clean and sterilize the tank and pipes, Aquasol to keep the water in the tank fresh after
About £8 ea, One word of advice however;

Read the bloody instructions on the bottles before you start!!!

I've been using it for a while and I haven't grown two heads.

YET!

At the end of each trip empty the tank and pipes, I do this on the way home, I open the Cocks and the taps (pump off). At home I blow down the pipes/taps and wipe out the residue in the tank .

Can't get into my fresh tank but thanks for the info

Will use the Puriclean down the waste pipes and tank

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Including this year - never.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm thinking if I only put in clean water and keep it in the dark there will be nothing to clean, it's worked OK for the 4+ years we have owned this one and the 14 years before that we had a caravan with a fixed water tank.

So that's no I don't bother.

Martin

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Never cleaned ours either (2 years) ours lasts us 6 days ,so at the most we are drinking 6 day old water ..I think I've put aquatabs in about 4 times

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Do not drink directly out of tank, use Nature pure filter,so not sure if it's a good idea to put anything in tank, just in case it damages filter!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We never drink from it (unless it's been boiled in the kettle) so make no effort to clean it.
I know some use it for drinking but we choose not to. We drink bottled water.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I tend to flush it out with fresh water after a long trip to clear anything we may have picked up, also after it's been in storage with empty tanks. As others though, we don't drink the tank water directly, only after it's been boiled.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I tend to flush it out with fresh water after a long trip to clear anything we may have picked up, also after it's been in storage with empty tanks. As others though, we don't drink the tank water directly, only after it's been boiled.
What he said!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Always store it dry and refill with fresh tap water before using I figure the chloride in the tap water is designed to keep the water supply pipes clean so will be good enough for me

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Had Moho for 17mths from new... Just filled it with "Council pop" on first day... And I think it's only been totally emptied on only very few occasions and flushed once with H20 + whatever "they" add to it.

I always drink from it... Never purified it... sometimes fill a bottle and pop in the fridge for a cold drink of water on a hot day....

Noticed some limescale forming in "ribs" of fill pipe... So may flush with citric acid at some point...

However, to date, it's been filled with UK water only...

I have two boxes of "Stuff" from Truma in the garage to clean boiler (I think) when I get around to it.. Not sure if it's for the FW tank also..

I think I have a constitution like a waste disposal from being exposed to everything as a kid - I guess :) non of this poncy anti-bacterial this and sterile environment that... :)

Windy

Free Member
Apr 14, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
MB Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 weeks
We got our MoHo 6 weeks ago, never give it a thought to clean the tank just flushed it and drank it, as we lived on a canal boat for 16 years. never bothered to clean that tank either. Still here.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Remember to clean the filter. We recently cleaned out our water tank with puriclean and plan to use aqua tabs whilst abroad. We took the filter out to clean and wife almost threw up. It was bad.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Always store it dry and refill with fresh tap water before using I figure the chloride in the tap water is designed to keep the water supply pipes clean so will be good enough for me

I always flush a bit through the system when refilling.
Never quite understood why people won't drink the water I cant see its any different from drinking water out of a bottle :rolleyes:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
In the UK and Europe water contains cloren.
I clean my tank with tap water unless it Ben contaminated I have never had any problems.
After every trip I just empty and fill with clean water
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back