Free Member
Aug 24, 2009
Southsea, Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
five years
I AM THINKING OF USING MY LAPTOP AS A T.V.(FREEVIEW) / DVD PLAYER.

I WAS WONDERING WHETHER THIS WOULD USE MORE POWER THAN A PURPOSE BUILT 12VOLT/240VOLT T.V.?

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE THE AVERAGE WATTAGE USED BY A LAPTOP? SO I WOULD KNOW WHICH POWER OF INVERTER I WOULD NEED TO USE.:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have a look on the lappy transformer and see what the output is.....

multiply the amps by the volts to get watts......ie.....5amps X 15volts = 75watts.

whatever the answer at least double the invertor watts so it isnt running near its limit and will run cooler without cutting out.

probably better to buy a 12v lappy power convertor....12v to whatever volts your lappy runs on.

average 12v 15inch lcd tv will use between 2amps and 5amps @ 12v

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Avoid an inverter if possible as a DC to DC adaptor is more efficient. Some new LCD tvs only use 20w, I would think your laptop uses more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I agree with jezport :thumb:but if you want to go the inverter route a small 150w will be more than sufficient.
terry

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
If you use an inverter it should be the input power to the laptop mains charger that is important as that is what the inverter needs to supply.

I totally agree with earlier posters that the most efficient way to go is with a dc to laptop voltage converter as sold by Maplin. In that case you need to ensure that the converter is capable of supplying the required voltage and current for the laptop.

Phil.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi I agree with jezport :thumb:but if you want to go the inverter route a small 150w will be more than sufficient.
terry

But not in my case. There is some surge with my latest laptop that trips a cheap old 150W inverter. I've just got a sinewave 300W one to solve that problem *but* it takes a very unhealthy 0.8A on standby.

Consistent, this laptop also trips the TRUST DC/DC power supply that was fine with a previous laptop.

So it's the laptop that is the problem not the laptops external power supply.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
But not in my case. There is some surge with my latest laptop that trips a cheap old 150W inverter. I've just got a sinewave 300W one to solve that problem *but* it takes a very unhealthy 0.8A on standby.

Consistent, this laptop also trips the TRUST DC/DC power supply that was fine with a previous laptop.

I have had similar problems with inverter to T.V. and to laptops and I found that powering up the 'brick' first then connecting the brick to the telly-lappy worked.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you use an inverter it should be the input power to the laptop mains charger that is important as that is what the inverter needs to supply.

I totally agree with earlier posters that the most efficient way to go is with a dc to laptop voltage converter as sold by Maplin. In that case you need to ensure that the converter is capable of supplying the required voltage and current for the laptop.

Phil.

that was my impression also but when i queried it i got shot down in flames.:cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

I stand corrected Brian :cry::thumb:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I stand corrected Brian :cry::thumb:
terry

Not corrected at all, it was a perfectly logical suggestion, my previous computer worked OK and in theory this one should work OK.

I was just making the point that sometimes real life bites you in the bum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back