Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Its a lovely place but the more I see of it the more I think 'one day there is going to be the sound of crumbling stone & mortar, the creak of timbers giving way and a mighty dust cloud rising into the air as France disintegrates into an untidy pile'!
It is a fantastic to see the buildings & streets as they have probably been seen for (maybe) centuries but surely one day rotten timber & mortar have to give in?
Hope I'm not standing admiring it all when it happens!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You could say the same about any place if you only visit the picturesque, historical, pretty bits. There are thousands of lovely French villages and towns that aren't ancient. Loads of working communities that have thriving markets, bars and restaurants but aren't on the tourist trail.

Look for villages that are " en fete", getting a bit late in the year but some are through Septmeber. There'll be a few banners and posters advertising it. Usually a vide Grenier along with a few other events and that's the way to really see French communities.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Its a lovely place but the more I see of it the more I think 'one day there is going to be the sound of crumbling stone & mortar, the creak of timbers giving way and a mighty dust cloud rising into the air as France disintegrates into an untidy pile'!
It is a fantastic to see the buildings & streets as they have probably been seen for (maybe) centuries but surely one day rotten timber & mortar have to give in?
Hope I'm not standing admiring it all when it happens!

I expect they will stay standing for a few more centuries with the odd little bit of help here and there. One of the things I love about many French villages is the they don't pull things down and put up sone cheap crap in its place, I also like the older houses, even small ones are often very elegant and stylish and build to look that way and to last.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Many of the old looking wrecks (from the outside) are often stunningly well kept on the inside. I don't know if the local authorities have twigged the downside to this yet but for a long time if you renovated the outside of your property there was more tax to pay. Hence all those unfinished block walls (which have only been finished on the inside). Mostly, if you see a finished renovation it's probably owned by an expat.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Book early to avoid disappointment ......

RUIN.4.jpg

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hope they don't get this chap to do the work for them
image.jpeg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Many of the old looking wrecks (from the outside) are often stunningly well kept on the inside. I don't know if the local authorities have twigged the downside to this yet but for a long time if you renovated the outside of your property there was more tax to pay. Hence all those unfinished block walls (which have only been finished on the inside). Mostly, if you see a finished renovation it's probably owned by an expat.
It's actually a cultural thing. Many older generation people in France think it extremely poor taste to make an ostentatious display of wealth so they are very careful not to make houses, particularly older ones, look " done up". Another cultural thing is that older people tend to say good morning /evening when they enter a shop or cafe to everyone whether they know them or not. It's just a politeness I certainly appreciate.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are always amused that the older French houses usually have at least one large crack running up the wall.

So much so that we decided that French Building Regs. must contain a requirement for the "statutory" crack to be included in all building applications.:rolleyes:

In UK such a crack would make it impossible to obtain a mortgage on the property. Another good example of the more laid back, non-materialistic, attitude displayed in rural France that makes us love it so much.:)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We are always amused that the older French houses usually have at least one large crack running up the wall.

So much so that we decided that French Building Regs. must contain a requirement for the "statutory" crack to be included in all building applications.:rolleyes:

In UK such a crack would make it impossible to obtain a mortgage on the property. Another good example of the more laid back, non-materialistic, attitude displayed in rural France that makes us love it so much.:)

Couldn't agree more

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seen in a old village today an old butchers shop still got the old shop front and faded sign over the door mustn't have been used for probably fifty years, house's both sides been done up but this looked as if you opened the door it would fall down, wish I'd took a photo now.:(

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It's actually a cultural thing. Many older generation people in France think it extremely poor taste to make an ostentatious display of wealth so they are very careful not to make houses, particularly older ones, look " done up". Another cultural thing is that older people tend to say good morning /evening when they enter a shop or cafe to everyone whether they know them or not. It's just a politeness I certainly appreciate.
You are possibly correct with the ostentatious thing but the house rates/tax tip was suggested to me by more than one French neighbour so I'm happy to think that it is correct.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
:)@maison with your username and location I nominate you as forum advisor on all matters regarding buildings in France

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
:)

Sounds like a plan

:)

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
But then again.....passed this today. A brand new road being built alongside a perfectly good one with nothing on it. Be interesting if jobs like this carry on when we've Brexited!
IMG_20160911_120100471.jpg

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
:)@maison with your username and location I nominate you as forum advisor on all matters regarding buildings in France
Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

We love the place, as you can see, but we still find find daily life a (pleasant) challenge from time to time.

Like all Brits who relocate, part or full time, to another Country it's a steeeee-eep learning curve, but well worth the effort.:):france:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I love France and have toured there for the past 35 years - presently probably go 5 or 6 times a year either in MH or motorcycle, so spend maybe 3 months a year plus in various places all over.

My thoughts:

They have lost the plot and can't work out where France needs to go for the future. Many want to hold on to old ways (farmers/traditions etc) but they are stymied because the youth migrates to the towns and cities.
The villages are dying - especially in the North. It is amazing now you can visit France and it is shut! Village after village is shuttered up with barely a soul walking through (at any time, any day of the week). It used to be a pleasure to come into town and have a choice of restaurants/cafes with sun umbrellas out. Now, leading a tour, I ride though literally dozens of villages looking for somewhere to have coffee - this is not just out of season. This situation improves South of around Clermont Ferrand when the cafes suddenly appear and the mood lightens.
I understand that there are now fewer French than there were before the 1st WW, so they don't need to build anymore houses in the countryside at least.

The town and city centres at night are increasingly scary with yoofs and souped up loud hatchbacks. I don't like Paris any more and would hesitate to visit any of its suburbs.
Many towns have allowed development to stretch out into the country so there are endless M Bricolage or 'orrible Buffalo Grill seemingly merging with the same coming out of the next town.

Restaurant food has definitely declined in quality and I would honestly say UK food is generally better. It is harder to find a decent interesting French restaurant now ( oh how I remember an awesome 6 course meal in Normandy that came in at under £35 each). Much food appears lazy with chicken or faux steak and fries and rubbish veggies. - (without sounding priggish, I can speak french and do seek out local rather than "costa del" food).

The French themselves appear a friendly as ever and have a slightly haunted look of fear in that they are clearly worried about the direction their country in heading. They can be delightful courteous and interesting.

Somehow they need to embrace the future trends whilst maintaining "frenchness" - Central London seems to have worked it out for now - it is undeniably cosmopolitan but essentially works and is still "British - ish".

As I say, these are my personal views based on a LOT of experience and a true love of the people and country.

None of this applies to the South of France or big tourist spots where the vibe is a good as ever - if as expensive as ever.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I'm not critising French house nor France-I love the place specially the old Villes with their old houses/buildings.
I also know that a lot of the older houses, even tho they look as tho they're falling down are lived in-with all mod cons, also families have 'collected' houses over the generations and are loath to sell them even if they could get the money they are worth!
As I said I love France and wouldn't have it any other way!
Vive la France!
Bravo Bladerunner-just what I was trying to get over!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back