Love North Yorks (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
While Les is away on his euro bike trip I've spent a few days getting reacquainted with North Yorkshire.:). It's an area we spent a lot of time in when the kids were small but the last few visits showed the area was getting quite run down:(.

Myself and a friend stayed at Broadings Farm, just outside Whitby. Highly recommended (& great rally field)
IMG_20160908_061741.jpg

We've had great weather, which always helps:D

We went for a look at Whitby + for something to eat. Now I was expecting wall to wall fast food but was surprised to see how many places have been refurbished & serve locally sourced food & seafood.
Last time we ate here it was a home made food cafe
IMG_20160907_171840.jpg

Don't know if seafood platter for 2 @£65 is good value but it sounds fab!
Next day we went to Pickering...again, this place has had a bit of a lift + expansion.
IMG_20160908_120104.jpg

Many places to eat + dog friendly(y)

Yesterday saw us at Staithes, wow, what a change. It seems lots of artists have moved into the area since our last visit & they were gearing up for their festival. I hope we get chance to visit next year.
Lots of art installation s around & open studios.
IMG_20160909_142300.jpg

IMG_20160909_140533.jpg

@Jenben craft bombing? I did try to get a pic of the knitted seagull too....
IMG_20160909_142808.jpg

IMG_20160909_140732.jpg

IMG_20160909_143449.jpg

IMG_20160909_144025.jpg

Melville the whale & his creator
IMG_20160909_144730.jpg

. We also visited Sandsend.....plenty of parking on the street, there is so much money being spent on the area along this coast, lovely.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You've sold it to me Debs!! But we already liked it! :)
Thanks for pictures such a shame Whitby centre is mostly holiday lets as locals can't afford them now!

What exactly are ' freshly shucked oyster ' as in last menu?!:Eeek:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we used to go to Sands End when our girls were very much younger, on the beach you used to be able to pick up 'jewels' pieces of ground down glass that we convinced our girls were precious, there were thousands of pieces then at least (y)

called by a few years ago, had one of the worst pints of beer I have ever had in a very tired sea front pub, vowed never to bother going back, may now be inspired to try again :)

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for pictures such a shame Whitby centre is mostly holiday lets as locals can't afford them now!

I know I keep saying it but I was so surprised at the changes up there. Even the seafood 'shack' sold something with squid ink & aioli:giggler:

If I was to guess I thought it was the term used when they open an oyster, ready for eating....

I think I'd read so much about motorhomes not being welcome I wasn't sure what to expect. But the beaches between Whitby & Sandsend are lovely, dog friendly & parking on the side of the road (not sure how easy it would be in school holidays).

Also the campsite (Broadings Farm) is 10 min walk from the park & ride, a nice restaurant & garden centre doing food or 30 mins walk into Whitby. Petrol station & Lidl less than a mile away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
we used to go to Sands End when our girls were very much younger, on the beach you used to be able to pick up 'jewels' pieces of ground down glass that we convinced our girls were precious, there were thousands of pieces then at least (y)

called by a few years ago, had one of the worst pints of beer I have ever had in a very tired sea front pub, vowed never to bother going back, may now be inspired to try again :)
You will be taking Jacob there soon enough!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Didn't notice any 'jewels':). Dogs aren't allowed on the central bit of beach but are welcome in the eateries & shops. All v upmarket so Lola will feel at home:LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's weird I called him Joseph earlier today, his name is Jacob

Or have I posted it wrong, wouldn't surprise me I blame Bevs blanket :LOL:
Sorry I've edited it to Jacob it's me will he be a Jake?!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry I've edited it to Jacob it's me will he be a Jake?!

Because their surname is Joyce, he was initially baby Joyce but has been known as Baby J for quite a while, that will probably stick for a bit, then may just become J (Jay maybe) I would reckon (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I know I keep saying it but I was so surprised at the changes up there. Even the seafood 'shack' sold something with squid ink & aioli:giggler:

If I was to guess I thought it was the term used when they open an oyster, ready for eating....

I think I'd read so much about motorhomes not being welcome I wasn't sure what to expect. But the beaches between Whitby & Sandsend are lovely, dog friendly & parking on the side of the road (not sure how easy it would be in school holidays).

Also the campsite (Broadings Farm) is 10 min walk from the park & ride, a nice restaurant & garden centre doing food or 30 mins walk into Whitby. Petrol station & Lidl less than a mile away.

You want the best fresh oysters - West Mersea......Pyefleet native oysters. @Debs and @Anthea M .....my treat if you come down with an "R" in the month.......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You want the best fresh oysters - West Mersea......Pyefleet native oysters. @Debs and @Anthea M .....my treat if you come down with an "R" in the month.......
Are they not available May June July August ?!!:LOL:
I shall admit I'm a philistine and never had an oyster ever!:(

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You might regret making that offer Mr Duck ;) :LOL:

No problem...... West Mersea is good for dog walking as well......

Are they not available May June July August ?!!:LOL:
I shall admit I'm a philistine and never had an oyster ever!:(

Correct. Slurping raw oysters is a little bit of an acquired taste though. Once you overcome the gag reflex they are rather nice.......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Perfect excuse then (y)...I've not had loads but always think they just taste of the sea....
Don't tell duck but I think they look like bogies!!
Anyway never needed them as an aphrodisiac :inlove::wasntme:

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Eek no nor frogs legs!! The thought?!!:sick:
Who in their right mind would want to eat a snail... A slug with no house?!:sicker:
I was so surprised at Les a few years ago (not normally known for adventuresome eating) a place we were staying at in Malvern offered an amuse bouche and he tried snails :sicker:.....said they tasted like chicken :rolleyes:. They smelt lovely though....

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Glad your having a good time @Debs , the menu's do look amazing and great to hear the beaches are predominantly dog friendly. Not been to Whitby for a while so another place in the lust for a visit next year.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last time we ate here it was a home made food cafe
We always used to go in there years ago when it was like that. Always friendly and good value.
Now we got to Alexanders or Mister Chips. Keep meaning to try the pies from the place across the road from Mister Chips but never get past F&C when we are only there for a day :)

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Had he had a little amount of wine before hand?!!:LOL:;)
Nope sober which is why I was so surprised :LOL:

Lovely area. We have been here for the last 2 weeks, staying at my brothers chalet on the dog friendly beach at south shore Bridlington.
Daughter & myself were at the THS at Fraisthorpe the week before & walked into Brid, guessing the South Shore was the bit we went through - great for young families & so clean everywhere. Those beach huts & play areas are great. The town is still undergoing loads of renovation work by the look of it. We wanted to get back up to the old town but it was too hot with the dogs......next time (y)

This is the Staithes festival thing, everyone was so friendly and just wanted to chat. We are also in Lurcher country so my friend was being stopped every 5 mins so folk could pet her dogs:LOL:

https://www.staithesfestival.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back