Free Member
Sep 10, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Virgin
Hello, thinking of dipping the toe in the water and was hoping to get some opinions from those in the know!

Having just returned from holiday near Girona in Spain I think I may have the need for a motorhome !

We drove from Cambridge via Calais done to Girona in our Xc90 only stopping for fuel and coffee. I now know France is bigger than it looks on the old map.

The drive down was through the night so I paid little attention to my surroundings but when we arrived at our campsite ( we rented a lodge thing at Campng la Siesta , Calella da Palafrugell) and indeed the scenery, decent service stations and the Aires on the route back during the day my thoughts turned to motor homes.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
on the route back during the day my thoughts turned to motor homes.

OK - so you would prefer to take twice as long getting there, pay twice the fuel and have inferior accommodation once there.

Are the views worth it ?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
OK - so you would prefer to take twice as long getting there, pay twice the fuel and have inferior accommodation once there.

Are the views worth it ?

Aw ! Brian you are such a sook.:notworthy2:

But we luv ya:lips:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Aw ! Brian you are such a sook.:notworthy2:

But we luv ya:lips:

Well we all know that a MH is one shedload of compromises. To go to a single location for a stay is not it's strong point. Naturally the Benidorm people do not agree. We've done both in Benidorm, an apartment with, by MH standards, luxury accommodation wins I would say and we had the car to travel locally. OP will not realise how poor MHs are for exploring local areas.

Now surely someone will totally contradict me.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Well we all know that a MH is one shedload of compromises. To go to a single location for a stay is not it's strong point. Naturally the Benidorm people do not agree. We've done both in Benidorm, an apartment with, by MH standards, luxury accommodation wins I would say and we had the car to travel locally. OP will not realise how poor MHs are for exploring local areas.

Now surely someone will totally contradict me.
But you do not have to head back to the SAME base every night , especially of you are like 2 hrs away from your hotel

OP
OP
Markjc

Markjc

Free Member
Sep 10, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Virgin
Hi , and thanks for the warm welcome and enthusiasm
I had worked out that there will be compromises and that it may not be as good as a all inclusive in Beni, but as I tried that last year and got bored within 24 hours I'm not going to worry to much.
My plan would be to have 2-3 days in various locations spread across 2-3 weeks each summer in warmer areas. And various long weekends in Norfolk, Suffolk and maybe Essex coast. Also somewhere to sit and drink tea whilst I travel the local area with various 12 year old boys sports stuff.
My question to all, and I'm sure opinions will vary but I would like space, fixed rear bed, over the wheelhouse bed, good mid lounge, large garage(hoarder and like to be self sufficient and might like to fill it with a motorcycle for shopping and getting away from kids etc). I have seen a couple of tag axels which look just the job but also note they have minor drawbacks (ferry and toll charges) but that said, slightly higher costs on my annual holiday would not make or break my decision. My budget would be £25-35k depending on what can be acquired. If £15000 would get me what I desire all the better.
I'm guessing a diesel motor home will return 15-20 mpg at speed? My xc90 averaged 27 mpg. As such I would probably need another tank of derv there and back so no massive issue . Whilst I'm not bothered about driving a large vehicle I'm interested if anyone could recommend which tags
I followed a few mohos through France who,appear to be extracting 85-90 mph. Why would it take me twice as long ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I followed a few mohos through France who,appear to be extracting 85-90 mph. Why would it take me twice as long ?

Yes, some of the continentals certainly do cruise 80+. It's a lifestyle thing, in here being mainly olde fartes counting pennies, 60 is a more normal cruise. Some consider 100 miles a day good going.

You are needing a big tag axle for your spec, especially the bike bit which really pushes the payload limit ( because a 100kg bike right at the back could load the back axle 200kg depending on overhang ). This is way outside my experience but many in here run such big beasts. Forestboy is heading to Sicily right now, bike in the back of a big tag.

Your holiday plans do indeed warrant buying a MH, your budget will buy a big older one and that is no bad thing, new ones are getting more complicated and many of us believe style rules over build quality now.

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
Having a van as big as a tag axle brings some problems in particular the size of pitches on some camp sites. I used to think bigger the better but not any more, we have had some bother getting our 7.4 m van in on and off pitches so it's a little harder with the extra length. Big vans are for going away for months in and not for use as you would your car in day to day trips out and about. Take your time way everything up as they are expensive if not used used properly and you will probably need C1 on your license to drive one.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:HelloThere::welcome4:Don't be put off by some of. The comments already made choose carefully there are lots of vans out there and most of all enjoy it(y)(y)(y)(y)

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Welcome
A newbie myself on here but the peeps on here are so friendly and will easily give you advice , but bottom line it's down to yourselves what you buy be it a large unit or a normal size and bike trailer , loads on offer in the uk take your time and hunt around there are loads of them , my first motorhome I made a wish list then toured around the dealers gave up with the list when we seen all the different models , whatever you decide I'm sure it will bring endless chilled weekends and holidays , don't get stressed in the buying process just enjoy

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I can add from personal experience that having the motor home while watching kids play football in winter is a real boon. You become very popular with other parents if you dole out tea/coffee! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back