Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
if going to germany go into any vodafone store (one in every town it seems) and get a PAYG and take your MIFI and id with you for them to set you up - takes minutes. We paid about equivalent £22 for 5gb to be used in 30 days and top up any time, valid sim for 9 months should you return.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We use Three, £15 per month on a one month rolling contract that you can cancel at anytime and that gives you 10gb.
Soon as I come home I cancel it and then renew the contract next time we go.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We use Three, £15 per month on a one month rolling contract that you can cancel at anytime and that gives you 10gb.
Soon as I come home I cancel it and then renew the contract next time we go.

Do you have to give one month notice of cancellation?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
You do. So yes you pay 2 months so £30.
You can get a PAYG one with 3gb for £22 so personally I go for the contract.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We use 12gb, 12 months sim, am sure it is not the fastest everywhere and think there is a 2 month single trip time limit for non UK usage.
has anyone here in the fun house been able to use a three pre loaded 12g sim for several months without it getting stopped /blocked
or one the other hand has anyone here had theirs blocked after 2 months.
also would a vpn be able to get around this issue if the do enforce it ?

also if you buy one one these sims , can you take it to Europe then insert it into your mifi and turn it on for the FIRST time , or must it be initialised in the UK

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do not think the VPN would make any difference as you are still connected via your three sim.

Sadly not been away for 2 months solid to find out:(, but sure it has been mentioned before. I will be finding out about the initialise shortly as have one that is running out and another ready to go. With the deals that members such as @Minxy Girl find I have 2 12gb/12month sims ready to go so if I knew I was going away for longer than 2 months and not sure about the init then I would buy 2 , init them both here and then store one ready for the other to be blocked after 2 months, giving a minimum of 4 months access for 44 GBP. Couple of days back in the UK and they could be reset, you could even post/give one to a friend to use briefly and post back??

Still seems like one of the better deals, until that is providers let you use your allowances abroad at no extra cost, like Tescomobile over the summer.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Just go to your 3 store and buy a sim. Don't waste your time or money going on to eBay like a lot of old people on here have and wasted their money.(y) As was apparent in a very recent thread

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
has anyone here in the fun house been able to use a three pre loaded 12g sim for several months without it getting stopped /blocked
or one the other hand has anyone here had theirs blocked after 2 months.
also would a vpn be able to get around this issue if the do enforce it ?

also if you buy one one these sims , can you take it to Europe then insert it into your mifi and turn it on for the FIRST time , or must it be initialised in the UK
I can't answer your first question since we have gone through 12Gb in less than a month but I can confirm that you can insert a sim card into a mifi for the FIRST time out of the packet whilst in France and it works.

Reactions: DBK

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just go to your 3 store and buy a sim. Don't waste your time or money going on to eBay like a lot of old people on here have and wasted their money.(y) As was apparent in a very recent thread
see my memory i think i need electrotheraphy :confused: as i remember reading that post , but forgot all about it and went and ordered one of them sims from the link above.. can anyone link me that thread about the Sim cards on the bay ,,, and what was the problem again ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem was a specific trader didn't deliver. But everyone got their money back so no phones were harmed during this episode.

Of course these dealers were "exploiting" (aka doing something illegal) the VAT rules so I don't have a lot of sympathy. It worked for me but next time it may not.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Couple of days back in the UK and they could be reset, you could even post/give one to a friend to use briefly and post back??

If it is like the phone sims, when they cut it off after 2 months like they did to both mine, then they cannot be used for roaming again for a clear 12 month period , although they work as soon as you are in the UK.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If it is like the phone sims, when they cut it off after 2 months like they did to both mine, then they cannot be used for roaming again for a clear 12 month period , although they work as soon as you are in the UK.
Think your right as the three usage restriction states 2 months in a 12 month rolling period, international access may be restricted if exceeded.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
yip then if you have any data left when its blocked just use it in the uk.
well at least thats what i THINK you can do.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I would highly doubt that ,, as quiet a few people here have used the sims over time ,and im sure if it happened at all it would of been widespread knowledge by now. :)
Pity though :(

djw1953

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Found this wikia on prepaid data sims, you can select a country and it gives all options available with costs.
Just takes some time reading through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back