Winter cycling (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2009
Clitheroe, UK
Funster No
MH
Poptop
Exp
I'm planning to escape the Brtish winter this year by taking off in my camper for two or three (or four) weeks to do some cycling. I'll be travelling solo and will be away over Christmas and New Year so it would be nice to find some company from time to time. I'm new to this game so would appreciate any suggestions as to suitable destinations.
Most of my travelling in Europe has been by motorcycle and in the warmer weather. I got a shock a couple of years ago when I rode down to southern Portugal in January and it was -2 C in central Spain! So where will I find the most reliably warm weather?

I'm worried that I may struggle to find campsites that are open in the off-esason and I want to keep the mileage down if possible. I am happy to wild camp some of the time but would not be comfortable leaving the van unattended if I am off cycling for the day, hence the need for campsites.

I know a lot of you Funsters fly south in winter so I'd appreciate advice and suggestions.

stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
weather in the algave

I'm planning to escape the Brtish winter this year by taking off in my camper for two or three (or four) weeks to do some cycling. I'll be travelling solo and will be away over Christmas and New Year so it would be nice to find some company from time to time. I'm new to this game so would appreciate any suggestions as to suitable destinations.
Most of my travelling in Europe has been by motorcycle and in the warmer weather. I got a shock a couple of years ago when I rode down to southern Portugal in January and it was -2 C in central Spain! So where will I find the most reliably warm weather?

I'm worried that I may struggle to find campsites that are open in the off-esason and I want to keep the mileage down if possible. I am happy to wild camp some of the time but would not be comfortable leaving the van unattended if I am off cycling for the day, hence the need for campsites.

I know a lot of you Funsters fly south in winter so I'd appreciate advice and suggestions.

stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
Motorhoming Portugal

Hi Mark

Talking to full time motorhomers Portugal the south coast is the best 18 to 22C they seem to float around France the go to Bordeaux San Sebastian and the down to Salamanca and down to Faro area. We have been told to look for the lakes and reserves where the vans hang out. There we have been told you will get a great reception and all the advice you want. On the coast you can camp anywhere we will be going between Christmas and New Year for three months we have to try it all good reports

All the best
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back