A Pension Question (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I'm asking here as first hand comments will be easier than dealing with the DWP website.

If you are away on a long European sojourn, do you need to notify the DWP or do they just continue crediting you bank account with you pension?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
We live permanently in Greece. DWP know this and correspond with us here whilst happily sending pension to our UK bank account. I can't see why you would have any problem, especially if you don't tell them. You're entitled to your pension wherever you are.

OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Thanks acropolis22, I had assumed that but felt in need of some evidence :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
agree with Andrew..

it is not means tested .. so no need to inform..

you only need to inform if you have means tested benefit .. such as Pension credit , JSA etc

but a quick call to DWP will confirm

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I called them in April, got straight through and they could not have been more helpful. I found the website useless, I kept coming back to the beginning, not knowing whether my information had been sent, or not as it was

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I have lived in France since 2003 and my old age pension began in 2011. Every "n" years I have received a form to be completed to confirm that I am still shuffling along and have not moved to whatever comes next. It might be a tad awkward for the OP if such a form were to arrive for him as I suspect that if the DWP stops paying it might be difficult to restart.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you are living and collecting your pension overseas who informs the DWP if you should die.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I called them in April, got straight through and they could not have been more helpful. I found the website useless, I kept coming back to the beginning, not knowing whether my information had been sent, or not as it was
Exactly my experience when applying for the OAP - a circular website. Phone much better.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If you are living and collecting your pension overseas who informs the DWP if you should die.

As Mme and I have a joint bank account probably no-one.

BTW as I cannot see a profit (for me) in my dying I have decided that I will live forever at least.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Why would anyone worry about that? More seriously, that's why they write to you each year to check you haven't shuffled off. If the OP is going to be away that long, he might give some consideration to making sure the letter from the DWP is dealt with. Or perhaps time the trip so the letter is not an issue.

But does the DWP write to all pensioners in the UK every year? If it's only those who live abroad permanently, the issue won't arise as long as the OP doesn't tell them of his travels. Which he is under no obligation to do, as far as I can see.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As Mme and I have a joint bank account probably no-one.

BTW as I cannot see a profit (for me) in my dying I have decided that I will live forever at least.
Yep we are all looking at living forever Ll but I was just wondering how many less honest individuals are claiming for long lost relatives.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why would anyone worry about that? More seriously, that's why they write to you each year to check you haven't shuffled off. If the OP is going to be away that long, he might give some consideration to making sure the letter from the DWP is dealt with. Or perhaps time the trip so the letter is not an issue.

But does the DWP write to all pensioners in the UK every year? If it's only those who live abroad permanently, the issue won't arise as long as the OP doesn't tell them of his travels. Which he is under no obligation to do, as far as I can see.
If you pass in the uk I guess that a number of departments will be aware of it so fraud is unlikely but living abroad could be a temptation.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/going-abroad

This is where it tells you about any benefits when abroad . I was a JC manager in another life but my knowledge is a bit out of date now .
The only thing I would say is make sure you are getting the State Pension and not what was Income Support as the rules for both are different . Everyone over retirement age says they are ' on the pension ' but sometimes it is actually Income support as they have not made sufficient contributions for the state pension . Also some additional benefits allow only 3 months out if the country .

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You're entitled to your pension wherever you are.
Except if you are in hospital for over 6 weeks when you are required to inform them so they can reduce it as you are being fed /watered at taxpayers expense.
I have lived in France since 2003 and my old age pension began in 2011. Every "n" years I have received a form to be completed to confirm that I am still shuffling along and have not moved to whatever comes next. It might be a tad awkward for the OP if such a form were to arrive for him as I suspect that if the DWP stops paying it might be difficult to restart.
They are only sent to those in receipt of a state pension who live abroad.
In Spain ,if you die,it is a requirement of the funeral home that they have to obtain your passport & forward it to the spanish authorities.

Yep we are all looking at living forever Ll but I was just wondering how many less honest individuals are claiming for long lost relatives.
Hard to do abroad as you have to certify that you are alive bi-annually & within 30 days , which isn't easy as the post service they use takes between 2-4 weeks for anything to arrive. Many people in receipt of a pension have had it stopped as the letters don't arrive before they have to be returned. Far easier in UK.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I had a letter about 8 weeks ago from the UK pension dept that my Doctor had to fill in to prove I am still alive

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Big brother is definitely watching you. As we were away from our house for 3 months, we had our post redirected to our daughters, only in the village, but it meant she didn't have to go every couple of days to check on the post and clear it from the doormat which is in view behind a glass door window.

We received a letter from DWP to ask if we still lived at our address as the Post Office had advised them we had had our post redirected for three months.

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It would be nigh impossible to be less wise than we think
but the point is they will already know going on the scanning of your passport.
if we tell fibs then we will be caught out .
it could also be said that many dont think before they fib .

KalaCruise

Free Member
Jun 27, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
In Buying Mode :-)
Exp
I'm a newbie
We live permanently in Greece. DWP know this and correspond with us here whilst happily sending pension to our UK bank account. I can't see why you would have any problem, especially if you don't tell them. You're entitled to your pension wherever you are.

Hello to you, or should I say Yassoo :) I'm a newbie here and caught your comment on this post. I love Greece and hope to make it next year in the newly acquired RV. Corfu was always a favourire of mine and I first drove there in 1981 in a Hillman Hunter towing a 16ft Shakephere speedboat, memories, memories :) oh how the time has flown.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back