Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Been researching to try and decide which van to buy. Am I missing something because for example a Hobby T65 HFL was advertised in Uk as £53,995 whereas in the Mobile de it was 49500 euros or £42000.

Must be missing something ??? Why does everyone not just buy abroad?

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
A lot of money £12000 ? You could afford to pay someone and still save a load?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It's a long way to take it back for fixes etc. as most dealers seem to not touch them if they didn't sell 'em.

Not sure if it's true of MH's but other vehicles have a UK spec and if it's not done to that then it can be a real pain registering it with DVLA.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
remember the import tax... plus as already said , if anything goes wrong with it under warranty , that can be loads of hassle, but yes you can still save money :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why does everyone not just buy abroad?

Many do .. several on here have done so and made huge savings

@lorger imported a Possl van .. hopefully he sees this and explains the procedure..

If you don't want the hassle, this company will import for you and you will still save lots.. thy have a good reputation,..

Link Removed

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
There is no import tax. You pay VAT in Germany (included in price) then get it back when you pay it again in the UK. Rates are similar AFAIK.
when i said tax , i was reffering to the VAT as to me its all the same as its goes to the robbing goverment..
as for the vat being included in the price . some places prices advertised are net , and the odd dealer will let you buy it at net then pay the tax/vat when u import it, which HMRC make sure as they wont reg it until the tax/vat has been paid, from memory i think there was like 1% difference in tax/vat between the uk and Germany

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As Jim mentioned above I bought from Germany at the end of last year and collected van this year.

If you do your homework you can make a massive saving, more so when I bought my euros as I pre booked them at 1.39 if my memory serves me right.

As for some folk not wanting RHD and vans not being UK spec, well I ordered a brand new RHD, U.K spec van and that's what I got. The process was really easy even for a first timer like me. If it's new then you don't need to pay the VAT in the country of purchase you just have to pay it in UK before you can register the van. Once you have done that you send a copy of the payment to your dealer. This saves you paying it twice and claiming it back.

As for warranty the base Vechile on mine is Fiat so pan European warranty, as for the hab warranty it also comes as Pan European but my dealer and myself are aware UK dealers might not be keen on doing work. To solve this before I purchased we have agreed if I need any work done under warranty I can take it to a local approved dealer and either pay myself and claim back from selling dealer or if it's a big bill they will contact my local dealer and arrange payment.

Some might not be happy with this arrangement but for the saving I have made I'm more than happy and if worse comes to worse I'll have a weeks holiday in Germany and let the dealer do it.

I would certainly do it again if and when I buy a new van.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Been researching to try and decide which van to buy. Am I missing something because for example a Hobby T65 HFL was advertised in Uk as £53,995 whereas in the Mobile de it was 49500 euros or £42000.

Must be missing something ??? Why does everyone not just buy abroad?

When you come to sell it you'll probably find it will be worth £10.000 less than a UK right hand drive model.

Also didn't I read that they were having trouble with the windows leaking on this model?

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Thank you all for your replies, I will have to look into it over winter and decide.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Check the CURRENT euro/stirling exchange rate now before you do your sums plus the hassle of warranty and LHD

Peter

Peter

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When you come to sell it you'll probably find it will be worth £10.000 less than a UK right hand drive model.

Why ? Left hand drive cars/vans have always sold at a premium to rhdrive all the 45 years I have been driving. There are firms that have only ever sold lh drivein the UK from when I was a teenager. A lhdrive van can be sold anywhere in the EU whereas rh drive has a limited market.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back