Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody
I’m thinking of joining the Fon network and installing an IBoost antenna to help with getting free internet connections when possible.

As BT UK has stopped selling these routers the only way to get one is from Europe or America or some other foreign country unless you good people know of somewhere I can get one in the UK.

I don’t want to buy a second hand one as I believe trying to get it registered in another name is nearly impossible.

I have found some sites which sell these but I’ve read somewhere that users of a certain router had their Fon account halted and had to purchase a different router apparently because of a firmware update which went wrong.

My question is if I buy a router from Europe or elsewhere will I be able to use it in the UK, and also which router was the one that stopped working?

Has anyone bought one from abroad and successfully used it in this country?

Here is some web pages selling Fon routers.

http://www.living3000.co.uk/shop/search/?q=fonera&campid=5337442535&gclid=CMLcqJPF-84CFRHhGwodj7UHZQ

http://www.living3000.co.uk/shop/search/?q=fonera&campid=5337442535&gclid=CMLcqJPF-84CFRHhGwodj7UHZQ

Another way is get BT broadband but don’t want to do that.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Many Thanks in anticipation of your help in this matter.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
we have purchased from Fonera in spain which was sent here to he uk and easy to set up no problem

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Brakers Hi Tony, I have to say I was confused about what you were asking, but then I use BT internet as my office internet provider, and I can use FON hotspots on any router.
I then did a search, and found this:
Broken Link Removed
Scroll to the bottom for the information I think you are looking for. To be honest, I wasn't aware that this was an option, but there you go, you live and learn! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I had one delivered from their website about a year ago, it works as long as you have the password, and I don't even think you need a constant "feed" from your home (you can disconnect once set up) But in practice not at all reliable or even good in my experience of using it as it uses that BT rubbish "log on and pay" network. save your money IMHO

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bought mine direct from fonera for £30 and registered direct with them. It DOES check your home FON router is live on the internet before allowing access away from home. nothing to do with BT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
we have purchased from Fonera in spain which was sent here to he uk and easy to set up no problem
No longer sold as a separate unit they stopped selling them last year (best €30 I ever spent ) only way to get one you can be 100% certain will work is via one of their partners which unfortunately in the UK is by getting BT broadband.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back