Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
Has anyone got any experience or advice on flexible solar panels as the motorhome has limited roofspace?

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
I have 3 on my roof, 2 are dead (Biard 100w semis).
You can now get fixings so it makes removal easier, mine were installed with sikaflex so could not send them back. If you do want to fit semi flexible look at Broken Link Removed and the fixing kit can be found at
Broken Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have 3 on my roof, 2 are dead (Biard 100w semis).
You can now get fixings so it makes removal easier, mine were installed with sikaflex so could not send them back. If you do want to fit semi flexible look at Broken Link Removed and the fixing kit can be found at
Broken Link Removed
Does this post mean biard are no use, as was thinking of getting one.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
Fitted the first one and very happy, decided after 10 months to fit a second and then about 2 months later the first one died so decided to try a 150W from Renytek (they don't sell it anymore) which has a white backing instead of the Biard aluminium backing. Then the second Biard died after 14 months so after that failure I decided to get a normal panel and put that over the dead panel. I now have 290W, 140W rigid and 150W semi, the rigid gives a lot more output than the semi even though it has 10W less.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Presumably you mean you have limited FLAT roof space?

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
it sounds like flexi solar panels are a waste of time and maybe the road pro was right in that the cheap ones are rubbish.
So I am none the wiser really, ah well might be new developments in the future.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
it sounds like flexi solar panels are a waste of time and maybe the road pro was right in that the cheap ones are rubbish.
So I am none the wiser really, ah well might be new developments in the future.

just stuck two 100w baird flexi panels to the roof seem ok.................time will tell!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Try @Triple7 he had them on his van when travelling.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Has anyone got any experience or advice on flexible solar panels as the motorhome has limited roofspace?
I use a flexible panel which is not fixed. Lots of advantages to outweigh the obvious disadvantage. Positioning, cleaning, replacing. It stores under the sofa cushion. Might be a good option if space is limited.

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
TRIPLE 7
as a non fixed panel how do you get the power to the batteries, daft question I know but I am clueless on these matters.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I have the cable from the solar controller coiled with a Velcro tab under the passenger seat. I feed it out through the side window and the connectors just clip together. I stand in the doorway and slip the panel on the roof, prop it up against one of the front tyres or place it on the windscreen depending on where the sun is. All very easy and by not having it out 100% of the time it needs a lot less cleaning (and is much easier).

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I'm considering flexi-panels because they are much lighter and low profile (3mm) - so that I can feasibly put them on the overcab roof, either side of the roof light vent, rather than taking up space on the main part of the roof further back. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Our Lensun panel is still going strong and seems to deliver more current in poor sunlight conditions than the previous panels did which is good for the UK.

Leish

Free Member
Sep 21, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Our Lensun panel is still going strong and seems to deliver more current in poor sunlight conditions than the previous panels did which is good for the UK.
Is it a 100W panel?

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started

Very interested in the Friendly Green Giant flexible panels - they claim to use the latest back contact method and "flatter" connecting boxes - but the price @ £0.87/W for monocrystalline panels is fab! Are you using the fixing kit they sell, or have you stuck the panels direct to the roof? If you're using the kit, how are you finding it - do you get any wind/flex underneath the panel, as it looks like they're slightly raised up by the fixing kit?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Very interested in the Friendly Green Giant flexible panels - they claim to use the latest back contact method and "flatter" connecting boxes - but the price @ £0.87/W for monocrystalline panels is fab! Are you using the fixing kit they sell, or have you stuck the panels direct to the roof? If you're using the kit, how are you finding it - do you get any wind/flex underneath the panel, as it looks like they're slightly raised up by the fixing kit?

No the fixing kit looked a little bulky to me and even if it wasn't the panels are fitted at the front of my roof and like you I thought that the panel would get air under it as I travelled along and it might flap about and damage it, obviously I had some previous experience fitting and removing the Baird panels so quite happy to stick straight onto the roof(y)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3600.JPG
J
Did you use Sikaflex? How did you get the panels off?

Yes used sikaflex the first time but only in small dots, the only place I used a continuous line was along the front for obvious reasons, so once I'd got a corner up it came off quite easily BUT all the adhesive stayed on the van none on the panel:confused: and to get it off the van I found the best way without damaging the van roof was to rub it off with a bit of wood(y)

And yes I did try shaving it off with a razor:D and no it didn't work:confused:

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Thanks Tim - those pictures really helped... so Sikaflex isn't invincible! I definitely like the idea of flush mounting 3mm flexible panels that don't weigh much and will be invisible from ground level. I appreciate that (at least until recently) traditional "framed" panels were cheaper, but now I see no reason not to use this approach instead...

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Yes used sikaflex the first time but only in small dots, the only place I used a continuous line was along the front for obvious reasons, so once I'd got a corner up it came off quite easily
I used Sikaflex on the Baird panel but in lines and all around the outer edge, when it failed it was impossible to remove without damaging the roof (GRP) so the Lensun is stuck on top of it again with Sikaflex but in a way that I could remove it if required.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
IMG_2313.JPG
Thanks Tim - those pictures really helped... so Sikaflex isn't invincible! I definitely like the idea of flush mounting 3mm flexible panels that don't weigh much and will be invisible from ground level. I appreciate that (at least until recently) traditional "framed" panels were cheaper, but now I see no reason not to use this approach instead...

Yes I've had the traditional framed panel on my first van and although it worked a treat I always thought a flexy would be so much neater, specially as they are right on the front of the roof on my Hymer, these are the Baird ones(y)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just noticed you said "the first time" ... what did you use instead the second time?

Well I know sikaflex is very very good but after taking the Biard off I decided it was just overkill, with the new panels even smaller and lighter I decided to try something that might be easier to clean should I ever have to take this one off, I also used smaller dots and used clear tape along the front to stop the draft(y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Jury is still out on flexies, I wouldn't buy Baird ones I've had two fail as have loads of others, at the mo I'm trying the 100w friendly-green-giant one that was linked earlier, they have a five year warranty(y) but I reckon you need to at least buy the latest back contact panels;)

We have 2 of these on our panel van roof, been up there over a year and very pleased with them. (y)
Cheap to buy very light ;)and all this about air flow :eek: we only do warm or hot and can't fault them. :D
We are in Italy at the moment and it's 28c / 30c. :LOL:

Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back