Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
I have discovered on my new m/h two pressure gauges and valves in the footwell by the drivers seat, They read air suspension,
My question is what is air suspension, what does it do and what should the gauges read, sorry i know that's more than one question but i do not have any literature on this.

thanks
chris.:Confused:

S

stagman

Deleted User
I have discovered on my new m/h two pressure gauges and valves in the footwell by the drivers seat, They read air suspension,
My question is what is air suspension, what does it do and what should the gauges read, sorry i know that's more than one question but i do not have any literature on this.

thanks
chris.:Confused:

Air Suspension are air filled bellows in place of your bump stops .You can adjust the pressure to take into account of the load you are carrying .Also for leveling out the van slightly when parking up for the night ,and hand when you want to raise the back end when you need clearance to board a Ferry .For travelling I usually set mine to around 40 - 50 lbs . I think the max you can inflate them is around 90 lbs but check this out .If you look each side of your rear axle you will see them .:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Air Suspension are air filled bellows in place of your bump stops .You can adjust the pressure to take into account of the load you are carrying .Also for leveling out the van slightly when parking up for the night ,and hand when you want to raise the back end when you need clearance to board a Ferry .For travelling I usually set mine to around 40 - 50 lbs . I think the max you can inflate them is around 90 lbs but check this out .If you look each side of your rear axle you will see them .:thumb:

Your van is probably bigger than ours which would explain why we only go to 40 psi. 45 felt too firm.
The chap at GB Services recommended we started at 35 psi and increased by a couple of pounds or so at each stop until the ride felt good, then when it started to feel less good, deflate to the lower reading.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Link Removed

This is the system fitted to my MH.
Currently run at 43lbs and it has stopped most deflections by trucks on the motorway and makes cornering more comfortable:Smile:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I usually run at about 40 but if the scooter is on the back I raise the pressure to around 60. That seems to give a good ride under either circumstance.

Phil.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I usually run mine set at 3 bar (45lb). but take it up to the maximum of 8 bar (120lb) when getting on/off ferries and some steep inclines etc.,it raises the back end by around 6-8 inches and prevents it from dragging.

Find I get much firmer road handling than prior to having it fitted.

I have an ALKO chassis and AS of Warrington did the fitting work.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Your van is probably bigger than ours which would explain why we only go to 40 psi. 45 felt too firm.
The chap at GB Services recommended we started at 35 psi and increased by a couple of pounds or so at each stop until the ride felt good, then when it started to feel less good, deflate to the lower reading.

John

My van is 7.4 mts long and with the A/S inflated to 45psi it increased the rear height by 3inches , and an extra 3inches can work wonders.Especially when boarding a Ferry .55 psi is great when returning and you have several cases of wine on board :thumb:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Mine is only 5.4 meters and I run on 38 psi. Found it invaluable on sloping sites, easy leveling and quick to re inflate.
Carry a small 12v pump tucked under seat.
Makes a massive difference on motorways when large lorries pass by.

Don

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
My van is 7.4 mts long and with the A/S inflated to 45psi it increased the rear height by 3inches , and an extra 3inches can work wonders.Especially when boarding a Ferry .55 psi is great when returning and you have several cases of wine on board :thumb:

Sadly we haven't had enough payload for that :cry:; but that's all about to change. We've decided to uprate to 3.85 tonnes gross. That should give a few cases-worth of extra payload ::bigsmile::thumb:.

Not having had any opportunity to increase the weight at the back, the need to alter the Airide pressures never arose so I didn't give it any thought. Putting a couple of bikes on the back didn't seem to make any difference, but then I wasn't looking for any.

The things us MHers have to think about :RollEyes:. It's mind boggling
_confusing__by_spongee0990.gif

:roflmto:

John

OP
OP
thestoneroller

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
It seems that air suspension is a useful piece of equipment to have on any motorhome.
my m /h is 7mts plus so being able to raise and lower the tail when ferry crossing will be a big help.
With all that wine on board it will be very usefull::bigsmile:
Thanks for everyones advice.
chris:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back