Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm looking to sort out our internet connection before our next trip which will most likely be to Europe somewhere........
So the question is would i be best getting both a Mifi & a Wifi system , as i like anything thats Free :) as would hope to get some free internet along the way, but would also like a paid back up source , e.g the Mifi.

Also with Mifi , when buying the router should i spend the extra and get a 4g one.
And to have both Mifi & Wifi do i need to buy 2 different routers ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm looking to sort out our internet connection before our next trip which will most likely be to Europe somewhere........
So the question is would i be best getting both a Mifi & a Wifi system , as i like anything thats Free :) as would hope to get some free internet along the way, but would also like a paid back up source , e.g the Mifi.

Also with Mifi , when buying the router should i spend the extra and get a 4g one.
And to have both Mifi & Wifi do i need to buy 2 different routers ?

I'm not clear how you plan to get a wifi system. Are you referring to boosters to give you a better signal off campsite / McDonald's wifi?

Mifi is pretty good on 3 Mobile. What do you want to use the Internet for and do you have a genuine need for 4g speeds or is it a "nice to have"?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not clear how you plan to get a wifi system. Are you referring to boosters to give you a better signal off campsite / McDonald's wifi?

Mifi is pretty good on 3 Mobile. What do you want to use the Internet for and do you have a genuine need for 4g speeds or is it a "nice to have"?
My sentiments, 4 g is ok if you can find a 4 g signal.
But obviously it's nice to have the choice
Wifi , you don't need anything your device will connect to that on its own

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My sentiments, 4 g is ok if you can find a 4 g signal.
But obviously it's nice to have the choice

I was thinking the same; hence my queries. However, I wonder if the OP was looking to boost their devices' signal reception.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you have a smart phone on the Three network you shouldn't need a mifi as from 8th Sepember as all popular European destinations are now included at no extra cost.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you have a smart phone on the Three network you shouldn't need a mifi as from 8th Sepember as all popular European destinations are now included at no extra cost.

Are you permitted to tether with 3?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
For me, I bought my wife an iPad for Xmas and its now a primary source of her entertainment, surfing the net, using whatsapp for family communications and pictures, emails etc. Both the iBoost and MIFI will enable both of us to use the internet inside our van off one connection simultaneously in the absence of British TV abroad, which I'm quite pleased about really. Its nice to get away from the TV for a few weeks!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
For info: We used 12gb between 4 of us over 3 weeks - I don't think that we were using data hungary apps but know that we did not change our device settings to prevent app updates until late in the holiday.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We take our mifi with us when away from the van
Battery lasts 6 hours
No wonder you and Mrs C manage to keep us all informed, with on the minute location and culinary updates. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
To the OP, I use a mix of WiFi booster and unlocked 4G MiFis (EE & Three sims).

I am really pleased to see the list of the other countries that Three are adding as of next week. (y)

Which countries and territories are covered?

• Already on Feel at Home: Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, United States.
  • To be added from September: Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia.
Cheers,

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip 100% correct to boost near by wi-fi signals
well the appliances e.g the smart phones are 4g , but its not the end of the world if its only 3g due to getting 4g being more than just a hardware upgrade , but also a different sim

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks chaser , but i mean is , what would i need to buy that is able to boost the wi fi signals around me, and works good without costing an arm and a leg.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
i suppose saying as my phone is unlocked i could switch to Three network and then enable tethering so the likes of my ipad could use my mobile data, problem is maybe getting a good data plan,

EDIT ,, just read above about tethering not being allowed,, so for me as we have multiple internet devices , we would need a MI-Fi that i can put a sim into then the devices can connect to it, as for out and about and then when at home i think i would just change my phone over to a pay as you go sim that allows roaming without charges , and also that you do not have to put XXX amount of pounds into each month , if such a sim exists.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suggest getting a 4G mifi with an external aerial connection, that way you are 'future proofing' by having a 4G one, rather than just a 3G one, and also being able to connect an external aerial will mean you get a better signal especially in poor areas.

I'm a fan of Huawei MIFIs such as the E5776, E5372 (also known as the Vodaphone R215), E5573 (aka Vodaphone R217) as these all have external aerial connections and are fast.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i suppose saying as my phone is unlocked i could switch to Three network and then enable tethering so the likes of my ipad could use my mobile data, problem is maybe getting a good data plan,
You need to check about tethering though as not all of their plans will allow it abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This might be what you need for wifi ...

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
To the OP, I use a mix of WiFi booster and unlocked 4G MiFis (EE & Three sims).

I am really pleased to see the list of the other countries that Three are adding as of next week. (y)

Which countries and territories are covered?

• Already on Feel at Home: Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, United States.
  • To be added from September: Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia.
Cheers,

Thanks , what model of MiFi do you have :) , and are you pleased with it

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
This might be what you need for wifi ...
thanks Mel i wonder if that would be suitable to mount on the roof of the MH, i know it says indoor and outdoor use , just wonder ifs its water proof.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I have got a Huawei 4g mifi with antenna cost me about 100 quid for both off Amazon . Cant tell you the model number as its inside the unit and im using it to post from the north of Scotland.
I have also got a motorhome wifi router and directional aerial which is usefull on campsite wifi maccy d and any free.
Only been using campsites now and again , last one only had wifi in reception building, i picked it up ok from a distance .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
thanks Mel i wonder if that would be suitable to mount on the roof of the MH, i know it says indoor and outdoor use , just wonder ifs its water proof.
I don't think you could permanently mount it, but you could stick it up through a roof light - cover with a clear plastic bag if it's raining!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I don't think you could permanently mount it, but you could stick it up through a roof light - cover with a clear plastic bag if it's raining!
Thanks for looking anyways Mel , i want something that goes outside permanently, i was thinking on attaching it to my aerial somehow , if possible as it goes up n down,, if not then just mount it on the roof and hope for the best

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
wonder if these kits are any use

or
https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/wi-kit-02.html

Whats the difference between the two kits

The blue box appears to be changed for that like cylinder object from what i can see

EDIT , also cannot see anywhere what size the aerials are

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks , what model of MiFi do you have :) , and are you pleased with it
Sorry Bart, my MiFis are in the MH, and I can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head, but they were both recommended by @Minxy Girl Mel. An E5776 For the T Mobile/EE sim I believe, and a smaller white MiFI for the Three sim.
I am definitely pleased with both, as if one isn't picking up a good signal, I am almost guaranteed that the other will. (y)

The Three 12Gb/12month some seems to last ages. EE are pushing a different style sim and deal than the ones we all bought, again, recommended by Mel. As well as being our top bargain hunter on FUN, she's also an authority for our mobile communications. (y) ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
BTW for a WI-FI aerial whats the most common that fun users here use , Omni Directional or Directional ??
For us we will be wild camping so not necessary at a camp site.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Also @Minxy Girl is there such a thing as a wifi receiver and a Mifi transmitter that can take a sim card all in one unit ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Also @Minxy Girl is there such a thing as a wifi receiver and a Mifi transmitter that can take a sim card all in one unit ?
Not that I know, both devices need need quite different aerials although some MiFi can also receive wifi signals but they are not boosters.

The current "best practice" seems to be a MiFi for use on broadband, ideally with a mimo type antenna in my opinion. If you want to use wifi then a standalone wifi booster will greatly increase range. The latter come in two forms, omni-directional or directional. The omni-directional ones just have a round mast, directional ones have a flat panel on the outside. Directional ones are best if you have line of sight to the transmitter. Omni-directional are considered better in built up areas where signals may be reaching you after bouncing off a few buildings.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!