Taking dogs to France (1 Viewer)

keefkaff

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Funster No
We are thinking of taking our dog to France next June and would like to hear of comments from other memebers of how dogs are accepted in France. Are they welcome in shops and visitor attractions etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
dogs

hi we're talking our dog 4 the first time in Nov
Futuroscope has special kennels which u can visit any time!

S

stagman

Deleted User
We are thinking of taking our dog to France next June and would like to hear of comments from other memebers of how dogs are accepted in France. Are they welcome in shops and visitor attractions etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

They absolutely love dogs in France .If you want a vet on the way back there is one in St Omar .There is also a campsite which has a connection with the Vet .If you use the campsite you then get a discount at the Vet's www.campinglachaumiere.com:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
That's a fact,

just a pity they don't clear up after them.. it's the worst place for dog poo on the pavement :Angry:

That wasn't the question although I agree with , on the other hand it makes you to look where you are going , and the pavements are still cleaner than in the UK.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That wasn't the question although I agree with , .

Fair comment ..

in general France is far more relaxed about dogs than the UK, every other French motohome has one.. and you don't see so many 'No Dog' signs except perhaps on bathing beaches.

jim

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Dogs in France

Hi, we spend a fair bit of time in France ,3mths a year and have just aquired Albert :Smile: a Yorkie. One reason we did is because of the French relaxed attitude to dogs .Its quite common for a dog to enter a restaurant with its owner and spend the meal under the table or on a lap. You will find the bigger supermarkets now dont let them in, but then half the pleasure in France is wandering round the markets.
Most French motorhomers have at least one and they are great conversation starters even if like me your french is 1962 O level, France being a huge country there is loads of open space, just be careful during the hunting season, get him his own little dayglo vest as they can be fairly non-specific what they shoot (if it moves!)

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi keef and/or kaff

What model have you got?

Took cocker spaniel, Smudge, to France for 6 months when the Pet Passport scheme started. Couldn't believe the relaxed attitude to dogs but soon got used to it.

Have noticed more 'no dogs' signs in the last couple of years. A boulangerie that I had taken dog into for years got new owners and now it's no dogs.

Main places the French don't like dogs, particularly the allegedly fierce breeds, are beaches & schools where you may find 'no dogs' signs. As the local police see most schools in & out this is enforced. Re beaches the signs seem to be ignored 'out of season'.:thumb:

Haven't taken dog over the water for 2 years so may be a bit out of touch but looking forward to taking Lulu, another cocker, for her first trip abroad in Jan.

Have stood in a queue in a butcher's shop behind a French woman with her dog on a lead in Fismes and in Creon watched a woman wheeling her shopping trolley round the supermarket with a dog in the trolley.

OP
OP
K

keefkaff

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi keef and/or kaff

What model have you got?

Took cocker spaniel, Smudge, to France for 6 months when the Pet Passport scheme started. Couldn't believe the relaxed attitude to dogs but soon got used to it.

Have noticed more 'no dogs' signs in the last couple of years. A boulangerie that I had taken dog into for years got new owners and now it's no dogs.

Main places the French don't like dogs, particularly the allegedly fierce breeds, are beaches & schools where you may find 'no dogs' signs. As the local police see most schools in & out this is enforced. Re beaches the signs seem to be ignored 'out of season'.:thumb:

Haven't taken dog over the water for 2 years so may be a bit out of touch but looking forward to taking Lulu, another cocker, for her first trip abroad in Jan.

Have stood in a queue in a butcher's shop behind a French woman with her dog on a lead in Fismes and in Creon watched a woman wheeling her shopping trolley round the supermarket with a dog in the trolley.

Thanks for the info. When you say what model, do you me the motorhome or the dog?
The motorhome is an Autocruise Stardream, 2001 model and the dog is a Rough Hunter Jack Russell called Sasha. As this is the first trip with the motorhome to France we will be staying in the north of France and a bit of Belgium.

OP
OP
K

keefkaff

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Funster No
They absolutely love dogs in France .If you want a vet on the way back there is one in St Omar .There is also a campsite which has a connection with the Vet .If you use the campsite you then get a discount at the Vet's www.campinglachaumiere.com:thumb:

That's a good bit of information well worth noting. I know St Omer and it is convenient for all the ports so it could be the place we will stay on our final night.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
not so long ago I read a post on an expat forum over here where the expat was eating at a restaurant and was horrified to see that the people at the next table were letting their dog lick the plates, she pointed this out to the garcon expecting him to share her disgust and horror but he just shrugged and said it's OK we wash the plates, expat was left speechless and vowing never to go to that restaurant again.:whatthe:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
not so long ago I read a post on an expat forum over here where the expat was eating at a restaurant and was horrified to see that the people at the next table were letting their dog lick the plates, she pointed this out to the garcon expecting him to share her disgust and horror but he just shrugged and said it's OK we wash the plates, expat was left speechless and vowing never to go to that restaurant again.:whatthe:

Dont Worry :Sad:the French would never let their dogs eat off an ex-pats plate!

S

stagman

Deleted User
That's a good bit of information well worth noting. I know St Omer and it is convenient for all the ports so it could be the place we will stay on our final night.

If you enter this campsite but keep left towards the Lakes then keep on around to the right you will come to a large Aire beside the Lakes at the back of the Campsite . Only 2 euros per night .No Facilites and probabally loose your discount at the vet , but still very nice .:thumb:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We always used to visit a vet near Calais and then hang around a day, in fact the one mentioned in St Omer we have been to a few times. However now we always find a vet a days drive from Calais, that way no real disruption to our hols.

Roy

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
WE LIVE IN FRANCE HAVE TWO DOGS....NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.....WE ARE AWAY IN BERGERAC S/FRANCE AT THE MOMENT IN THE MOTORHOME SO i CAN NOT REPLY IF NEEDED AT A MC-DONs.....temps ...70...80...and 95f yesterday afternoon..............Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back