How many do not carry a jack in their MH? (1 Viewer)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Reading various threads it seems that quite a few do not carry a spare wheel, some only carry a spare tyre and many call out a breakdown service no matter whether they have a spare wheel or not. I am therefore wondering how many do not have a jack in their MH.

I do carry a jack but fortunately not had to use it. Maybe I should shed the weight and gain a little extra space?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I carry a full-size spare wheel, Ducato standard jack plus also a 5 ton bottle jack, axle stands, torque wrench and a Heyner 12volt air compressor for doing the tyre and air suspension pressures.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Both the vans we've owned came with spare wheels. The first had a scissor jack (which wasn't all that good) but the second had no jack.
I bought a 6 tonne rated bottle jack when we had the first van but stopped carrying it with us when a post pointed out the potential difficulties of changing such a large wheel, especially beside a fast road.
We pay enough for breakdown cover so would always call them out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Personally I do carry a full size spare and a jack. Even though I have full breakdown cover, I would not want to wait for them to source a suitable tyre as they will not have one with them.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No jack... spare tyre only. Biggest tool in the van is a torque wrench.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
The supplied jack from Man weighed 24kg so it's in the garage at home & I rely on the EP levellers (or rather the roadside adac mechanic did) when we had a blow out.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a jack that came with the motorhome. It was obviously part of the original chassis cab kit. When we tried to jack up the full motorhome it was absolutely useless. So if you have a jack check its capable of doing the job.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Weight an issue so spare wheel but no jack etc.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I still carry it, I wouldn't like to use the Fiat supplied scissor jack. So I bought a 3 tonne hydraulic bottle jack which sits nicely in a corner and is man enough for changing a wheel in an emergency. That said, depending on circumstances, I would still call out the breakdown service.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have a good recovery supplier (red pennant) and I would certainly call upon them if I have a puncture! however I carry a 6 ton bottle jack, socket set & torque wrench - just in case I have a puncture where there is no mobile signal! - common in the Highlands of Scotland, the New Forest and the more remote parts of France & Spain!

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
My jack will not lift back high enough to clear body work,when breakdown came couldn't get wheel of stuck on had to recover me so jack waste time and weight on mine

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
One thing for you to consider if you carry bottle/trolley jack that are not standard to the vehicle is that in the event of a flat tyre, can you get it under the chassis due to it being a lot lower to the ground (approx. 4-5") when there is no air in. When we recently had the blow out I had to drive the van up one of our levelling ramps to gain enough height for the AA guy to get his jack under. I only managed to get up about half way before the wheel spun.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i carry 2 spares for the truck 2 spares for the trailer . tubes for both sizes . plus puncture outfits small or even big gaiters . oko tyre sealer . plus chewing gum stick repairs for tubeless tyres . truck halte levers and car spoon levers . trolley jack , high lift jack . 5 ton bottle jack .
if your in the wilds nobody is coming to rescue you . have air for trailer brakes so can pump up. use trailer legs as bead breaker so tyre changing repairs are ok.plus 3/4 inch sockets ,breaker bars and a long tube for cracking wheel nuts .
spare clutch just in case . plus heavy tow pole . and straps . also winches never know might need them . waffle boards for sand or mud . welder , tools .
mind if your just going down the road to a caravan site you might not bother to carry that much . but on long tours never know wjhat you might need .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
We have the supplied jack in the kit by fart, useless for the rear wheels.
I pay for breakdown cover so they can change the rears if, and hopefully not required.

As an aside thing about cover, my wife had a puncture in a rear wheel on her corsa, the "breakdown" co came out, operative said he could not undo wheel, she supplied him with locking nut key! WHY?

They took out a bit of steel, plugged it at the roadside, blew it up and sent her on the journey.
When I took it to a tyre shop they stated it was DANGEROUS as the hole was in the wall very near the tread, and should not have been plugged but wheel replaced.

I undid the wheel no problem and changed it when she got home!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have 4 jacks too
And a long handled wheel nut wrench
Super breaker bar and socket from Malvern show (y)
image.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I carry a spare wheel and all the tools, trolley jack, breaker bar, torque wrench.. Old habits die hard..

.. but would only use the in a dire emergency..

Nowadays, I would get these people to do it.. that's what we pay them for..

no point in having a dog and barking yourself..

aa-big.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back