LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi guys
Struggling a bit with my new toy. Hoping that @namwaldog is around or anyone else who can help.
I have charged the device and inserted a 3 prepaid data sim. My iPad recognises the device and I have connected using the password printed on the device label. I now wish to change the password. I connected the iPad to the device on the 3 network and went to Link Removed. However safari says server cannot be found.
I have tried to connect my laptop (Windows) to the device but it does not come up as a network when I try to set up a new network or connection.
What is the best way to access the web management page?
My second question is, how do I set the device to use home wifi instead of 3? It seems to be an option according to a manual I found online. Would that be through the web management page as well?
Do I need to set up an account with My3

I have tried ringing Huawei support but all I get is a promise to ring back when someone free - I have rung 3 times in 24 hours but no call back.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Download the Huawei app from the Apple app store onto your iPad which will allow you to manage the device.
While not an expert on that model and without looking it up, it would be unusual if it connected to your home network.
You do not need an account with My3 if you have bought a 12Gb 1yr SIM. Just buy another when that SIM runs out as it is cheaper to replace than buy more credit.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Hiya Annie,
When I connected my 5372 to my Windows PC, there was a file on it that allowed you to install a software programme onto the PC.
When installed, it was a bit like the Huawei app mentioned above that allows you to alter the settings.
Not at home a present but I will have a look when I get back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The MiFi device contains 3MobileWiFi software which runs on Windows and allows changing of passwords. I don't know if it is available for iPad.
You could try connecting the MiFi to your laptop using a USB cable. I've known that be necessary for other people in the past.

Your iPad should show both your home network and the MiFi network when you search for networks (it does on Jill's Samsung tablet).

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Perhaps worth mentioning that I think you have to connect through the mifi in order to make changes.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it works as it came out of the box I would leave it if you set a new password it will still get nicked before they realise it won't work and the sims are worth very little

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't see why you would want it to connect to your home wifi as your device will connect to it without the mifi.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks to everyone who replied

Download the Huawei app from the Apple app store onto your iPad which will allow you to manage the device.
While not an expert on that model and without looking it up, it would be unusual if it connected to your home network.
You do not need an account with My3 if you have bought a 12Gb 1yr SIM. Just buy another when that SIM runs out as it is cheaper to replace than buy more credit.

Thanks, This app is great, asked me to change password as first thing to to. Now no longer admin.

Hiya Annie,
When I connected my 5372 to my Windows PC, there was a file on it that allowed you to install a software programme onto the PC.
When installed, it was a bit like the Huawei app mentioned above that allows you to alter the settings.
Not at home a present but I will have a look when I get back.

Thanks, Have installed the file which is 3MobileWifi. However not sure if password change is for sim or device. Having now got the app on iPad it seems the easiest to use as I won't ever be using the Mifi device with laptop.

The MiFi device contains 3MobileWiFi software which runs on Windows and allows changing of passwords. I don't know if it is available for iPad.
You could try connecting the MiFi to your laptop using a USB cable. I've known that be necessary for other people in the past.

Your iPad should show both your home network and the MiFi network when you search for networks (it does on Jill's Samsung tablet).

Thanks, got both working now as above

If it works as it came out of the box I would leave it if you set a new password it will still get nicked before they realise it won't work and the sims are worth very little

Thanks, I was more concerned about changing the Mifi password than the sim.

Don't see why you would want it to connect to your home wifi as your device will connect to it without the mifi.

Thanks, you are correct, I don't need to connect it to home wifi, just going through the little manual trying to see how it all worked.

Reactions: GJH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi guys
Struggling a bit with my new toy. Hoping that @namwaldog is around or anyone else who can help.
I have charged the device and inserted a 3 prepaid data sim. My iPad recognises the device and I have connected using the password printed on the device label. I now wish to change the password. I connected the iPad to the device on the 3 network and went to Link Removed. However safari says server cannot be found.
I have tried to connect my laptop (Windows) to the device but it does not come up as a network when I try to set up a new network or connection.
What is the best way to access the web management page?
My second question is, how do I set the device to use home wifi instead of 3? It seems to be an option according to a manual I found online. Would that be through the web management page as well?
Do I need to set up an account with My3

I have tried ringing Huawei support but all I get is a promise to ring back when someone free - I have rung 3 times in 24 hours but no call back.
I know you have sorted it but it might help if you get into problems in the future to understand how this all works.

The MiFi generates a local wifi network, in a sense it is exactly like the Internet itself - only a lot smaller. :)

The address 192.168.8.1 is the home address of the device. If you enter this into the address bar of a browser (safari in your case) it should open up a web page. No special software is required to view the page, it is just like viewing a page of Fun - though with fewer jokes.

That you couldn't access this page is odd. Worth trying again but making sure to enter the number exactly, with no spaces after the dots and no http at the start though the browser will probably add that.

If it doesn't work it is possible your device has been modified and I wonder what it's history is? Is it say ex-Vodaphone for example?

Of course the app is great and that's what I use to access my huawei MiFi but it is useful to know how to do it the old fashioned way. :)

You should be able to connect your laptop the same way. Get it to scan for wireless networks then log in with your password.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's also worth mentioning that if you log onto a weak wifi signal using the wifi extender function, your mifi won't use the Three 3G signal irrespective of how weak the wifi is.
If this happens you need to turn off wifi extender.
Now you've downloaded the app you can do this easily, do long as you're chosen the mifi as your wifi option.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks @DBK , the device came from same source as that @namwaldog purchased. Advertised as a manufacturer refurbished item. Obviously not brand new direct from Huawei as box had been opened. It had an incorrect starter guide in the box.

Reactions: DBK

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
The gateway address of the mi Fi should be 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.8.1 .therefore to access the Web page of the miFi use the gateway address. (y)

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This is a copy and paste from the manual.......

Logging In to the Web Management Page

1. Make sure the connection between the Mobile WiFi and the Wi-Fi device or computer is working normally.

2. Open the browser, and enter Link Removed in the address box.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
This is a copy and paste from the manual.......

Logging In to the Web Management Page

1. Make sure the connection between the Mobile WiFi and the Wi-Fi device or computer is working normally.

2. Open the browser, and enter Link Removed in the address box.
yes it is and I stand corrected but if you,re having a problem try the standard Huawei ad 192.1681.1 ,I have a Huawei mifi using that address.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks @DBK , the device came from same source as that @namwaldog purchased. Advertised as a manufacturer refurbished item. Obviously not brand new direct from Huawei as box had been opened. It had an incorrect starter guide in the box.
Can you see anything on the screen which shows what address it is using? I've just had a quick look at the 5372 instruction manual and it says if something else on the network is already using 192.168.8.1 it will find another address - but this should be visible on the LCD screen.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why not download the app instead. Saves having to fiddle around typing ip addresses

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I believe it is working with the app - it's just an intellectual problem now why the IP address won't work. :)
I've never understood those

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The gateway address of the mi Fi should be 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.8.1 .therefore to access the Web page of the miFi use the gateway address. (y)

I have now tried the 192.168.1.1 url and that does work, but the one the manual says to use doesn't. Good job there are always funsters around to help!

Can you see anything on the screen which shows what address it is using? I've just had a quick look at the 5372 instruction manual and it says if something else on the network is already using 192.168.8.1 it will find another address - but this should be visible on the LCD screen.

I have looked on the screen, there is a picture above. I have also pressed the menu button (top picture) but now I cannot see how to move around the menu. Pressing the on/off button just takes me back to the home screen.

Why not download the app instead. Saves having to fiddle around typing ip addresses

I have downloaded the app thanks to earlier posts in the thread and now that is my preferred option.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks but do you know how to move around the menu? Eg access info?

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Ours is the same make buy different model, I changed my password it excepted it ? But next time I tried to connect it wouldn't, so I did a reset used the password printed inside it connected so I didn't try again. We haven't used it this year as we didn't go abroad and weren't away long enough to bother, it will be interesting next time I try , only bought the 30 day sim.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks but do you know how to move around the menu? Eg access info?
Hiya Annie,
From your first picture, press the menu button again and it will highlight 'info'. Press the power (on/off) button and it will tell you the IP address you are using. Mine is using the :1:1 address.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks, done that and yes mine is .1.1 which makes sense as that is the one I found to work! maybe a typo in the manual that I found online. The printed manual that same in my box is for one of the models that have a line of led lights rather than a little screen.
I think the row of led lights to indicate when on, battery low etc is a good design and the little screen not an improvement on that but finding my way around it now thanks to everyone on here.
I was really easy to connect to my iPad and now I have the app should be good to go. Next trip to wilds of Devon where there is poor phone signal so will be interesting to see how the 3 sim works there. I haven't yet got an antenna. Would you recommend one?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I bought one of these.....

I have only tried it once at home and it did create a better signal but I have not really had need to test it " in the field"

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use an antenna almost all the time with mine. There is one site we go to in Cornwall where you can only get a usable signal with one.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Where does the power come from for the antenna?

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just wondering as the unit on the link you sent says input max 10 w.
I couldn't see a power lead, or input for one, on the images.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just wondering as the unit on the link you sent says input max 10 w.
I couldn't see a power lead, or input for one, on the images.
Didn't see that, probably best to ignore my mutterings then! I thought mimo antenna just worked on different polarised signals. Perhaps some antenna have boosters built in?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back